Friday Facts #399 - Trash to Treasure

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #399 - Trash to Treasure

Post by FactorioBot »

BlacKcuD
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #399 - Trash to Treasure

Post by BlacKcuD »

The hype is real. This will be one of the few games I will preorder without hesitation.
Modded Multiplayer Mega Bases Only!

WeirdConstructor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WeirdConstructor »

I just love the concept of Fulgora. Deep respect for the game design thoughts that went into this. Can't wait to play it. Finally a good reason to build rail roads and not having to rebuild factories for all the intermediate products like cogs, steel, ... it sounds like exciting fun!

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

Lots of rails and sorter spaghetti. Sounds like my planet :P

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Amped and electrified for sure!

Developing it behind closed doors is and has been the completely correct solution, I think.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

The changes keep on coming, the difference once you launch that first rocket is amazing, so much more stuff to do!
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

While all of this does look brilliant, I can't say that I am looking forward to it, it's just not fun for me.
It's all the mechanics that make SE not fun cramped into one, obviously mandatory, location.

- You have to build defensive coverage everywhere you build - check, although this time it seem you don't get a planet-wide solution, but HAVE to do it on every point. Can't wait to have additional entiities on mining outposts which have to be delivered and stamped down in a grid.
- You need to ship in a resource which is usually abundant and is needed in huge amounts - check. "But you don't have to" - yeah, trains will be burning what then?
[EDIT] I somehow managed to ignore the solid fuel from the recycler, trains are safu
- No "landfill" - you now HAVE to build spaghetti for the third time now, because that's obviously such a fun mechanic somehow, being cramped. First the cliffs, then the lava fields, now the oil fields. I don't know, maybe it's me, but the novelty of cliffs wears off 30 minutes after starting a vanilla game in 1.0. Yeah, you can wall of biters every now and then for free, but otherwise they are literally undermine what made factorio great for me in the first place, when it all began - that you can quickly scale to ludicrous amounts, without being artificially limited by performance. Is this also a performance thing, like in other games, finally catching up? We should not build wide anymore?
- Recycling - I somewhat warmed up to quality, whatever, I could deal with that. But now it's the most unfun mechanic from SE shoehorned in again. Was quality not enough with recycling, is the space platform not enough?
It is not fun to have 98237546 byproducts, and have to have a convoluted way to delete them from the world is just not fun, and not interesting gameplay. This is the same as robots needing maintenance, assemblers needing lubrication, and other tedium-inducing mods.

I very much appreciate the hard work that went into the design and playtesting it, and am really sorry for being so harsh, but this is just tedium for the sake of tedium.
Last edited by aka13 on Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

DeadMG
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DeadMG »

Um, does this mean that UPS usage from distinct electric networks will be fixed? Because this sounds like it would destroy perfomance in 1.1.

WeirdConstructor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WeirdConstructor »

aka13 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:25 pm
- You need to ship in a resource which is usually abundant and is needed in huge amounts - check. "But you don't have to" - yeah, trains will be burning what then?
As far as I got, you can get heavy oil, which you can use to fuel trains?

quaatal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by quaatal »

So Vulcanus is "craft everything from lava" and Fulgora is "craft everything from scrap". Instead of creating new planets why not just add more stuff to Nauvis like caverns/mountains/islands/deep ocean or other biomes, each with unique resources? It also doesn't help that both of those planets are completely lifeless and devoid of risk.
Last edited by quaatal on Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floven1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by floven1 »

not enough HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!! need more from you forum posters...

I, for one, have been waiting all week for this post

worth
Last edited by floven1 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dismissive sig? opinion discarded

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

All of this looks good.

If we can have 5 module slots (not to mention 50% native productivity bonus), does it means that an infinite production loop is possible with recyclers?

Not that it would be necessarily a bad thing (or would it?)

Tooster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tooster »

I am pretty amped for that planet! I love how you took an existing core mechanic of factorio, assembling ingredients into products, inverted it into recycling and managing chance-driven byproducts and made something that creates completely new challenges and puzzles, yet still feels familiar and non-repetitive and fresh. That's game design 101!

Couple of things I noticed:

- In the lower right, the belts seem to be passing from one island to another over the moat and oily-mud. Does it mean that they can be placed underneath the plateau, or is this some kind of new, elevated/floating belt kind of thing? If I read correctly in the post, the belts on the mud should sink, no?
- I wonder what is this green, weirdly cramped space in the upper left corner? Doesn't seem like any kind of factory part I am familiar with?

The color of the liquid in this pipe is different than the other liquids, and looks very similar to the color of the Holmium science pack. Does it mean liquid science packs are added?

And I wonder what's this new blue wire is :P
Look mom, I made a mod ^^ Barrel Stages

floven1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by floven1 »

Tooster wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:41 pm
it's pretty is what it is

but I too wonder what it's made of and for?

edit: after some thought, I bet it's a superconductor
Last edited by floven1 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dismissive sig? opinion discarded

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

This makes Fulgora another great option as your first stop after Nauvis. Which will you choose?
Yeah nah, I pick Door #3, either it's the best of all options or it's the least taken route, therefore its a win win no matter what!

The Ancient Aliens Desert Planet will be my second Planet to go for though, since I dont really need better Mining Drills or more Smelting. Quality is way more important at that point.

Anyways, Quantity Modules, really need those to be added too, or rename Productivity Modules to that. XD
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

Supercapacitor
Tooster wrote:
The color of the liquid in this pipe is different than the other liquids, and looks very similar to the color of the Holmium science pack. Does it mean liquid science packs are added?
Electrolyte
Tooster wrote:
Superconductor
Last edited by Dev-iL on Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

Very nice ideas, plan before expand. Thinking before spam machines by bots. Balancing on tight line is my way to play (I'm guy who set trees and cliffs to max amount and add more water).
But, overall, I found repetitive, boring part. When we need more holmium - we need more and more repetitive islands. Maybe world gen can give us larger and richer islands far from start?

I think, miners drilling trough scrap looks wek - I would like see something bigger, massive - due scrap parts are not smal rocks but large chunks of technology dump.

On Fulgora we saw only environmental hazards so next planet will be probably connected to BIO Theme, need to have tight balance between tech and planet environment, pushing us to thing how to expand without zero impact.

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

For those wondering how to eliminate excess ressources, just use a non-quality recycler loop, because without quality modules, recyclers give only 25% of the ressource back. Craft it, recycle again, and you only have 6.25% left.

Justderpingalong
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Justderpingalong »

Tooster wrote:
As someone who's currently playing Space Exploration, the name Holmium is familiar to me. I believe that to be Holmium cable.

Anyway. Love the new planet design but gotta ask one thing: This seems cool and all but... I remember when you first introduced the elevated rails you said they're toggle-able. This planet makes it seem like they're a mandatory part of the game (at least when playing Space Age), unless you're gonna give us landfill, which seems tedious. Quality is something that feasibly can be turned off. However I don't see that being possible with elevated rails here. Not that I care, this planet is going to be my first stop because oh boy am I a train nerd.

SheepStorm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SheepStorm »

This looks really awesome!
That being said, and iirc it wasn't mentionned in this FFF or the previous one, but will there be a way to disable the light flashes coming with the thunderstrikes? This, similarly to the wave-y effect on the blueprint ghosts, hurts my eyes.

Return to “News”