Smaller batch fluid processing

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #402 - Lightspeed circuits

Post by mrvn »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am
Shingen wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 am
bobucles wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:25 pm
3) Smoothing doesn't really crate new data, it's merely a reinterpretation of existing data. So, you know, you can probably just smooth the 100 or so visible data points on the production graph, when it's actually open, and call it good.
to repeat again, i'm not talking about strictly speaking "smoothing the graphs", i.e. as you've put it "reinterpreting existing data". i'm talking about changing the production of fluids creating more data points that would just end up as "smoother" graphs.
So, seriously, what point is there behind this other than smoothing the graph? If there is none, then asking for some type of graph smoothing that won't cost any update time normally is the better way to go, yes?

By changing the recipes, in addition to adding needless overhead, you are changing the ratio relationships between them (refinery recipes are 5 secs while the chem plant has 1, 2, & 3 (or was it 4?) sec recipes), as well as running into the issue of (especially recipes that consume or produce items) not being able to cut it further without changing the balance.

It just makes absolutely no sense to me to want to change one aspect of the game that comes with overhead and side effects for a singular purpose when there's a method that nets you the same result without the undesired.
Having recipes produce fluids in large blobs means that you get big spikes on the fluid system causing waves, congestion and less flow. Every time a recipe finishes the fluid has to get moving again while it settles between recipes. So there might be something there about producing fluids more smoothly.

But this could be solved a different way too. Why not have the fluid output tanks release fluids at a speed that matches the average production? Or set the fluid tanks bottom level to (-1 + 2 * recipe pogress) and fluid will be pushed out of the factory harder the closer it is to adding more. The fluid system will drain a bit of the produced fluid every tick and it will also work for recipes with solids.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Imo, because that would be based on the assumption that "production" is accounted for when the fluid leaves the tank of the entity that produced it which is not the case, as production is accounted for when the receipe finished. As such, having the entity producing fluid releasing faster or not the produced liquid after it is produced and accounted for in the production graph would not end up smoothing the production graph. It would have no effect whatsoever on it.

The idea that fluid produced in "big blobs" are creating waves and congestion is something different than what was discussed, if it is even a thing.

Shingen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shingen »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
If there is none, then asking for some type of graph smoothing that won't cost any update time normally is the better way to go, yes?
oh, sweet summer child.
FuryoftheStars wrote:
By changing the recipes, in addition to adding needless overhead, you are changing the ratio relationships between them (refinery recipes are 5 secs while the chem plant has 1, 2, & 3 (or was it 4?) sec recipes), as well as running into the issue of (especially recipes that consume or produce items) not being able to cut it further without changing the balance.
the relationships between buildings is not in the base crafting time of their recipes (especially that this can be easily changed by modules, like probably most people do, and fully moduling refineries does not even give you the same speed up as doing that to chemical plants, destroying the base ratio) - it's in their average production and consumption, and that would not change.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Shingen wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
If there is none, then asking for some type of graph smoothing that won't cost any update time normally is the better way to go, yes?
oh, sweet summer child.
FuryoftheStars wrote:
In other words, only when using the graph, not always.
Shingen wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm
the relationships between buildings
I'm talking about the recipes. It's easier and faster when typing on a phone to reference the buildings the recipes are crafted in.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Smaller batch fluid processing

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Can't take a few days off without some thread exploding I guess. All the discussion about the smaller granularity for 100% fluid recipes is totally off topic, so I'm splitting it from the #402 FFF thread, into the Ideas and suggestions. Feel free to discuss the suggestion here, but keep it cordial and relaxed, or the moderation will be more brutal.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Smaller batch fluid processing

Post by Qon »

Koub wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:58 pm
[Koub] Can't take a few days off without some thread exploding I guess. All the discussion about the smaller granularity for 100% fluid recipes is totally off topic, so I'm splitting it from the #402 FFF thread, into the Ideas and suggestions. Feel free to discuss the suggestion here, but keep it cordial and relaxed, or the moderation will be more brutal.
Thanks for your endless work Koub. And thanks to whoever updated the forum software to support improved edit messages with a moderation reason, and you for using the feature for transparent moderation actions.
Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 23-27-30 Smaller batch fluid processing.png
Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 23-27-30 Smaller batch fluid processing.png (10.85 KiB) Viewed 172 times

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”