Friday Facts #402 - Lightspeed circuits

Regular reports on Factorio development.
mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #402 - Lightspeed circuits

Post by mmmPI »

FasterJump wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:24 am
Svip wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:47 am
It's actually more trivial than that. You can just decide that any object with an y coordinate "higher" than the foundry's top position appears behind it, and everything else appears in front of it.
Is there a reason this can't be done? That looks simple enough.Why not render sprites from top (north) to bottom (south), the latter displaying over the former?
To me this is done already. Except for the moving parts of the inserters which are not updated in the same way as the terrain or buildings. ( Their basis is drawn "behind" if it's more North than another entity).
It doesn't adress the question of who gets priority between left and right, this feels bound to be arbitrary and still leave some visual artifacts from inserter clipping through things that have the same y coordinate.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

mmmPI wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:19 pm
FasterJump wrote:
Svip wrote:
It's actually more trivial than that. You can just decide that any object with an y coordinate "higher" than the foundry's top position appears behind it, and everything else appears in front of it.
Is there a reason this can't be done? That looks simple enough.Why not render sprites from top (north) to bottom (south), the latter displaying over the former?
To me this is done already. Except for the moving parts of the inserters which are not updated in the same way as the terrain or buildings. ( Their basis is drawn "behind" if it's more North than another entity).
It doesn't adress the question of who gets priority between left and right, this feels bound to be arbitrary and still leave some visual artifacts from inserter clipping through things that have the same y coordinate.
You also can't just do an across the board kind of thing. Obviously belts and pipes should not be drawn over an inserter arm, and a regular assembler is debatable. Etc, etc.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:52 pm
Obviously belts and pipes should not be drawn over an inserter arm, and a regular assembler is debatable. Etc, etc.
Had it been obvious to me i would have made the boss harder the first time !
Inserter Drawing logic lvl 3001
This one has radar , and inserter located north of belts to make it visible the situation where the arm shouldn't be drawn "under" the belt.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

FasterJump wrote:
Svip wrote:
Because an inserter with a slightly lower y coordinate than the foundry needs to appear behind the foundry but an inserter with a sligtly lower y coordinate than a rail needs to appear before the rails.

It's not (just) the y coordinate that is relevant but the y - height of object at y. Afaik in factorio this is solved with layers. There are low to the ground layers where e.g. rails live and high in the sky layers where the foundry lives. So factorio will first draw the low to the ground layer for each y, then the slightly elevated layer for the inserter arm and last the high in the sky layer of the foundry. This simulates the height of the object a bit. But there aren't enough layers and buildings like the foundry aren't split into sections of different hight. So it's imperfect.

husky777
Inserter
Inserter

Post by husky777 »

The idea of wireless data transmission has been on my mind for years. I'm even surprised that the development team didn't come up with it much earlier. There is a lot of fun in laying wires. But it is tiring, and sometimes you opt for the simple solution of not laying wires, relying on simple things that are not based on logic.

I see one weakness here: sometimes you don't want to explore the map further at all, especially in favour of UPS in big factories. It would be nice to be able to disable radar exploration
This text is written in broken English
greetings from the Russian Federation

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

husky777 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:52 am
The idea of wireless data transmission has been on my mind for years. I'm even surprised that the development team didn't come up with it much earlier. There is a lot of fun in laying wires. But it is tiring, and sometimes you opt for the simple solution of not laying wires, relying on simple things that are not based on logic.

I see one weakness here: sometimes you don't want to explore the map further at all, especially in favour of UPS in big factories. It would be nice to be able to disable radar exploration
If you are on a big factory, radar will be generating less chunks than the pollution cloud. Around anything polluting any reasonable amount more chunks are generated, than the radar reaches, at least in my experience.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

aka13 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:06 am
husky777 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:52 am

If you are on a big factory, radar will be generating less chunks than the pollution cloud. Around anything polluting any reasonable amount more chunks are generated, than the radar reaches, at least in my experience.
You need more efficiency modules and more forest.

Ejsstiil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ejsstiil »

Whoa! That's nice! What just hits me, this can be an opportunity for brand new VLAN support in Factorio! With some sort of n-port switch with tagging/untagging support, you'd be able to to create a real backhaul - a line carrying multiple IDs via single connection - a Trunk. With those switches on both ends you'd be able to tag/untag an ID on a port to send and consume, while other port can be set as trunk to carry the rest down the line.
Just an idea.

Dial-up
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dial-up »

I still don’t see how to establish circuit network communication between the planets. There must be a simple and logical way, especially when "remote viewing" ignores the speed of light.

Return to “News”