Friday Facts #405 - Whole belt reader, New logistics GUI

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #405 - Whole belt reader, New logistics GUI

Post by Artman40 »

That's actually good design. Vertical vision is good when searching for details (e.g. item lists) and horizontal is better when peripheral vision is needed (e.g. map).

melind
Inserter
Inserter

Post by melind »

Handling logistics from the map is super nice. Only thing I'd want changed is I'd like to have the networks grouped by for each planet/surface and probably need a separate section for players/spiders.

Also, since we are talking about the map I've always wanted the the ability to search the map for a specific item and have it highlighted. For example search for radars and have them show up. The overlay you did for the roboports is exactly how I was imagining it would look. I sometimes use specifically configured deconstruction planners to figure out where specific buildings are (or dropped items).

Bowiemtl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bowiemtl »

I like the current iteration of the new logistics UI, however I was kind of hoping the option to see where items are stored would remain. An example of this is the repair packs seen in roboports, I think this could be particularly useful when checking if a defense wall is stocked up up on enough ammo and repair packs. Whether this would be done through another list of small remote views like in previous iterations or through placing temporary markers on the regular remote view, I don't know. (Also, will we still be able to press L like previously? It's become muscle memory hahaha)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

melind wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:09 pm
Also, since we are talking about the map I've always wanted the the ability to search the map for a specific item and have it highlighted. For example search for radars and have them show up.
You mean like in FFF #400?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

DavidBadura wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:11 pm
About "Integration with Remote view":

Can we please have the same for trains too? I don't find the view with the 100 small maps for each train very helpful in getting an idea of where the trains are. Sometimes I don't even recognize the place :D I then have to click on the map and then zoom out to find out where the train is.
I would like that as well.

linktothepast83
Inserter
Inserter

Post by linktothepast83 »

I would like to have in the game an option of a more advanced interaction between a logistic network and the player or spidertron logistics it interacts with. To be able to set specific logistic networks to only provide items, only take items, or do both to the player or spidertrons that it is interacting with.

And then make an army of trading spidertrons..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vivio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vivio »

I dont know why i thought of this but if we have so many things that can be controlled via circuitry, why not also make a condition on the belt that let you turn it 90 degrees clockwise/anticlockwise.

Dial-up
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dial-up »

why in the 4th iteration there are inserters in the member list?

seltha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by seltha »

>2000hrs and also didn't know 'L' existed :D

I feel that the list of networks seems unnecessary now that you can click on them in the map.

I'd remove the list of networks and dock the items on the right hand side like they currently show up when you hover over a roboport. I do like that you can scroll the items, because it can get super long.

If you do keep the list of networks, then there should be a way to name (including custom icons) like you do with a train station.

How does selection work when there's overlap, eg spidertron sitting inside another network?

AndrewR
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AndrewR »

Will it be possible to assign a roboport to a specific network? Sometimes it's hard to ensure different networks do not accidentally merge into a one lage network.

Theisen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Theisen »

Unpopular opinion. I hope that the DLC is not just 95% QOL changes. Like don't get me wrong there great to have more QOL and it to be a forethought in the DLC I was just hoping it would account for 5% of the DLC and 95% would be net new content.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Theisen wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:12 am
Unpopular opinion. I hope that the DLC is not just 95% QOL changes. Like don't get me wrong there great to have more QOL and it to be a forethought in the DLC I was just hoping it would account for 5% of the DLC and 95% would be net new content.
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that most all of the QoL content is 2.0, not the Expansion (what you're calling DLC).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

Dial-up wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:56 am
why in the 4th iteration there are inserters in the member list?
Probably because they are holding items in their hand.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

Love it! All of it.

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

Do you plan to release 2.0 at the same time as the Expansion? It might be worth to space the releases out by a few weeks or months

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

A request ,

I see that you are considering some problem which is some what niche to me. If you are fixing those , you should fix this too.
Please enable Ctrl+y (redo).
when i am undoing a few steps in front of my eyes in the screen, all of sudden i am undoing somewhere else in the map and only god knows where. you would known this problem already.
please fix it, by introducing redo or some thing else.

CrushedIce
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CrushedIce »

Sushi pipes anyone?
I will get nightmares :twisted:

yatebyavigu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by yatebyavigu »

I like the changes with Xternminator that it would be good to see item locations. What I think would be a good option to not overload the screen is to use your last iteraction and once you hover/click on item on right sidebar it shows item locations on the map as dots/short numbers. It'll show only one map, but will allow you to see Network lines and item locations.

Another thing I guess would be good see summary across all networks

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

varundevan wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:19 am
I see that you are considering some problem which is some what niche to me. If you are fixing those , you should fix this too.
Please enable Ctrl+y (redo).
Already done.

Jadedog57
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Jadedog57 »

svalorzen wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:19 am
Perhaps you could still add the option that if one clicks on a specific item (or member), the minimap will add icons of where that item is stored/located? So you can re-add the functionality of showing where things are, but it is less obtrusive as you do not need all the different minimaps, and you can toggle things individually.
It would also aid in finding items that got stored by bots but you do not want a dedicated storage ben for. Like armor attachments for different roles (attack, build) On that note what about being able to select more then 1 item to be filtered in a logistic storage chest.

Return to “News”