Friday Facts #407 - Automating a soundtrack

Regular reports on Factorio development.
KeithFromCanada
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #407 - Automating a soundtrack

Post by KeithFromCanada »

Ever since I typed in a random blues riff(?) music generator BASIC program on an Atari 400, the thought of parametric music has enchanted me. Thank you for making it work for Factorio.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

My only suggestion/request is please make this moddable, or add a system where the user can supply a config file with "pre-arranged" tracks (such as lists of integers representing sample ids). That way, players could "compose" their own tracks, share tracks, use AI to generate tracks, etc.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

supasonix
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by supasonix »

Liking the music deep-dives recently. I do have one suggestion but it might be controversial to the devs vision, have a toggle to play any music on any planet. Obviously it should be off by default, but I think it would be nice to have the variety (even though I'm still not even tired of the Nauvis soundtrack lol).

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Dev-iL wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:21 am
My only suggestion/request is please make this moddable, or add a system where the user can supply a config file with "pre-arranged" tracks (such as lists of integers representing sample ids). That way, players could "compose" their own tracks, share tracks, use AI to generate tracks, etc.

Variable music tracks are defined in the prototypes, fully available to modders.
  • Can we have fine control over music?
    There are no plans to add complex controls like custom playlists or per surface settings. A simple mod can be created to achieve that if someone really wants that feature.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

Will this audio backend update resolve the constructive interference/digital distortion and clipping that can be heard when a large group of bitters die on the same frame, eg from a grenade?

nekku
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by nekku »

Sorry if I missed any posts or replies regarding the same topic, but I just wanted to add a voice of concern that examples from this and previous FFF are very disturbing and I hope they're examples from some action-packed events, like biter attacks, lightning storm events (if they're not constant, which I really hope is true, because having constant flashes seems too much) or vulcano eruptions, etc.
Watching the clip of spidertron simply chilling around the base surrounded by lightnings with this music made me want to turn it off.
I feel actual discomfort from the music examples of FFF 406 and 407.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

nekku wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:26 am
Sorry if I missed any posts or replies regarding the same topic, but I just wanted to add a voice of concern that examples from this and previous FFF are very disturbing and I hope they're examples from some action-packed events, like biter attacks, lightning storm events (if they're not constant, which I really hope is true, because having constant flashes seems too much) or vulcano eruptions, etc.
Watching the clip of spidertron simply chilling around the base surrounded by lightnings with this music made me want to turn it off.
I feel actual discomfort from the music examples of FFF 406 and 407.
They specifically say in the FFF itself that the clips in this one are merely tech demos, and old ones at that.
Please understand these examples are a tech demo, still in progress. Some details may change. The music itself is not representative of what it will be in the game on release, these samples are quite old and made for illustration purposes!
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

This all reminds me of the Diablo II LoD release. In the original release, the music was created by a single talented musician, Matt Uelmen. Then, in the expansion, an orchestra was added. All at once, the essence that made the music great in the original release was lost. This new music was widely regarded as disappointing by many fans, me included. No one ever said the original music was bad, yet many have said the expansion music was bad.

This is going to sound like a slap in the face, but If it were me, I would scrap the whole orchestra and just hire a single talented musician with a synth. And I'm sorry to have to say it, but video game music is one of the only things left in this world that I still get emotional over.

I liked the original Factorio music. It wasn't spectacular, but it also wasn't annoying. The new music is just annoying.

QELO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by QELO »

I think both the automatic sound creation function and the collaboration with cutting-edge musicians are wonderful.

But I think. I feel the atmosphere of Vulcanus and Fulgora through the soundtrack, but is it appropriate for building a factory on that planet?
What kind of music is playing in the background as we build factories all alone on a distant planet?

Nauvis' soundtrack feels good to those of us who have spent thousands of hours with it. It would be great if I could experience something like that even on a new planet.

Feynt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Feynt »

Congratulations, you've discovered MOD music. Welcome to the 90s. Purple Motion says hello. >)

Seriously though, it's an interesting idea to programmatically assemble samples rather than assembling them with purpose as a composer. I'm not a fan of some of what I've heard exactly. Some of the samples aren't what I would say are good in the context of the piece that was assembled. But I can see the potential, and with tuning I think it could be interesting and engaging while also expanding the music selection quite easily. The third piece for example starts off rough but get better for a bit around 1:30.
Zaflis wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:54 pm
I see i see - AI music.
It's slightly different. In this case there are sample tracks which have been made by humans, and there's an algorithm behind assembling the samples together like "don't play this sample back to back with this other sample" which loosely follows music theory. AI generated music is quite different and knows nothing of music theory. it just knows that it has several million music samples to draw from and how a particular style's beats normally come together.

It is however programmatically assembled music, which is on theme with Factorio. Taking a bunch of raw materials and assembling them together to make something else.

Eketek
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Eketek »

I decided to pre-emptively make an algorithmic music generator. It will be an expansion and rewrite (in LUA) of one I wrote a few years ago. Since I don't have an API to target, the in-dev version will use Csound (already working) and will be kept simple enough to use described features (a proper synthesizer would be preferable, even if it doesn't do much more than sample playback).

Also, how moddable is the audio planned to be: Will scripts be able to directly arrange samples? Will sample-concatenation & blending be available for real-time usage?

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Donion »

Eketek wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:29 pm
how moddable is the audio planned to be: Will scripts be able to directly arrange samples? Will sample-concatenation & blending be available for real-time usage?
The variable music tracks will be defined by the AmbientSound prototypes.
There are no plans for real-time Lua API for variable music tracks/music player.
At some point there should be some improvements for programmable speaker (see this thread).

Eketek
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Eketek »

Donion wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:47 pm

The variable music tracks will be defined by the AmbientSound prototypes.
There are no plans for real-time Lua API for variable music tracks/music player.
At some point there should be some improvements for programmable speaker (see this thread).
If I can procedurally change the volume of an active sound, it will at least keep the amount of audio sample data required reasonable, assuming no other relevant improvements. Real-time placement of sound in-world is a bit more in line with my idea than sequenced data to the music player. I might attach a few extra suggestions to the linked thread (probably wont - it seems a bit on the predictable side).

Also, if it works as an enticement, I do have a few samples from the prototype music generator on hand, and later will be able to share Csound files from the work-in-progress.

Return to β€œNews”