Friday facts #94 - No 0.12 Release today

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday facts #94 - No 0.12 Release today

Post by Darthlawsuit »

I'd say release a SP only version so you can have people did the SP bugs while you work on the multiplayer. Some SP bugs might tie in with multiplayer bugs

Dustypai101
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dustypai101 »

I was a little mad to hear about it not coming out this week but that's fine just means more time for bugs to be stomped and a major congrats on your engagement :3. :D :D :D

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Alpha 11.22 is a fine game in itself, very fun to play, many many hours of amusement.

The reason I'm upset about the delay of alpha 12, two weeks now, is that I really want the Combinators and the increased degree of contro-and-automation that they can give me. I recently became aware of the existence of a mod that allegedly offers much of the same, but with alpha 12 being so close to release, I was and still am reluctant to start using it.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

take your time and get it right. Don't burn yourselves out. The game is in alpha and updates should only come when you think they are ready. Don't let us pressure you. Having said that ... can you hurry up please :D

cptepicness
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cptepicness »

I can keep waiting for 11.22

I have a T-Shirt idea

>T-Shirt with a module on the front of it. The text below it would be "Working at maximum (Whatever the module on the T-Shirt is, like efficiency)"
>T-Shirt with a lab on the front of it, with text like "this isn't rocket science" or something of the like.
>T-Shirt with a rocket on the front of it "SPACE OR BUST", on the back could be a picture of the rocket exploding.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

First of all, congratulations Kovarex. Wish you and your other half way more happiness you'll ever be able to handle :)
As for the 0.12, it's OK. I have stopped developping, but I work in IT support and I came to hate the sentence "Well we're not ready to release, but we can't shift the planning". If all the project managers could just have your insight and delay releases until things are ready, my overall life experience would be better (and I would have much more time to play Factorio, and complain 0.12 is not there yet :lol: ).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

As far a T-shirts go? Something that characterizes Factorio.

1:
A take on the old fish eating fish eating fish chain:
A Laser turret, shooting a spitter, spitting at a gun turret, shooting a biter, chasing the player.

2:
A biter, eating an ammo assembler, feeding a gun turret via belt, shooting the biter.

3:
A (probably burner)mining drill harvesting iron, going down the production line until it reaches the assembler to which is making more burner mines.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

camicio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by camicio »

The delay is no problem, we'll just be playing our 15 FPS singleplayer bases while you fix multiplayer and sit on performance improvements...

Dreadicon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dreadicon »

awww, but it happens. My only concern is you have stated that 1.0 will be this year IIRC, so each of these delays shorten the amount of time left for other gameplay improvements and content. I would very much appreciate some assurance that if this kind of thing keeps happening that 1.0 will be pushed out to next year, rather than features cut that would have been in otherwise. Being a developer myself (and one actually interested in the business side of software dev) I completely understand that sometimes there just isn't enough time(money) for what you had planned out. It also sounds like you should factor in at least an extra week of test time into your estimates; more like 2-3 for core codebase revisions/additions. But either way, I sincerely hope you will push out the game's release if time is insufficient. Thankyou for producing a great indie game so far! And Congradulations as well :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Dreadicon wrote:awww, but it happens. My only concern is you have stated that 1.0 will be this year IIRC, so each of these delays shorten the amount of time left for other gameplay improvements and content. I would very much appreciate some assurance that if this kind of thing keeps happening that 1.0 will be pushed out to next year, rather than features cut that would have been in otherwise. Being a developer myself (and one actually interested in the business side of software dev) I completely understand that sometimes there just isn't enough time(money) for what you had planned out. It also sounds like you should factor in at least an extra week of test time into your estimates; more like 2-3 for core codebase revisions/additions. But either way, I sincerely hope you will push out the game's release if time is insufficient. Thankyou for producing a great indie game so far! And Congradulations as well :)
The 1.0 was already moved to next year :)

Toiski
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Toiski »

For the T-shirt ideas (without the loading bar):

1) "I'll optimize this later" (including the quotes)

2) Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate (where the 4x genre name comes from - really fits this game)

3) Build a machine to build robots that construct solar cells that power the machine.

psihius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by psihius »

I want a "Choo-Choo motherfucker!" T-shirt... :roll:

You know, in the spirit of this one http://i.imgur.com/xnh7rOV.jpg by the author of this topic https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=8794

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

Get well soon! :) :)
I fully support you not releasing 0.12 this week if you think that is the right thing to do. However, most of us play single player as well as multi-player so if single player is working, it would be fine for me. :D

Also, I would definitely buy a factorio T-Shirt! You need to have some sort of humorous slogan though!
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

kovarex wrote:The 1.0 was already moved to next year :)
http://www.factorio.com/faq
1.0 in summer 2015

http://www.factorio.com/content
1.0 in summer 2015

The website may need some updates of it's own :P

Dadys_Toy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dadys_Toy »

Great News!
"Do you have some idea what could be there instead of the "Loading sprites" text? " -yes: "Loading world domination..." :D

Salasilakka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Salasilakka »

I hope your "When it is done" means the same as Blizzards not the same as 3D realms. ;)

ScoobTheNoob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ScoobTheNoob »

Why not open bug hunting to us all, this way we could opt in to playing it whilst it is all broken. :mrgreen:

tanjalol
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tanjalol »

Well, sure i like a super well done release, but also im really eager to play, if the single player is at a state where its atleast slightly playable, then i would say do a unstable/experimental release, then release a better working version next week, why not let us try it out?
just put a warning that its a "highly unstable release, and that crashes, bugs, save breaking, and computer exploding events can happen" then let people play on their own risk :P

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

desync issues aren't just about multiplayer, they are also about replays.

Pouf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pouf »

You guys put too much pressure on your shoulders !

Return to “News”