Friday Facts #96 - The fixing phase

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #96 - The fixing phase

Post by slpwnd »

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #96 - The fixing phase

Post by deepdriller »

Damn nice concept picture, I really like.
But I'm afraid that potential buyers will be too confused by the mess of it all. They may not know what it is they're looking at.

Legoman165
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Legoman165 »

Well hopefully there we wont see 22 patches for this new update. I played it for a bit and it seems much better in stability and resource management, its an amazing update to an amazing game! Also can we use that picture like the other artwork like is it free to use for videos and such?

Cre8torzn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cre8torzn »

First of all thanks for all the great work, the update is greatly appreciated!

Can we get a higher resolution of that picture??

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

This is a proof-of-concept picture. Not really something to use at the moment. When we have something finished we will share it for sure so it can be used for banners / youtube videos / etc.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

deepdriller wrote:Damn nice concept picture, I really like.
But I'm afraid that potential buyers will be too confused by the mess of it all. They may not know what it is they're looking at.
Yeah it's really cool, but also really busy - I already know all the buildings in it and my eyes still almost glaze over from sensory overload.

Original
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Original »

I like the concept art. The only problem is that refinery sticks out way too much.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Really great FF. I found that article about Steam audiences really interesting. :)
That concept art example is super cool too! As others have said, it is quite busy though and might confuse people who don't know about the game or are new to it. When the higher resolution version is released though, I can see it being used for an awesome YouTube video thumbnail background with a little transparency changes. :D

Having a ton of fun playing 0.12 so far too.
Image Image Image

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

Just my $0.02 on the poster / picture: that one only depicts a single phase of the game, namely, the oil phase. It might make the game feel "dirty" with all those pollution.

Why not have something with a larger perspective? For example, looking from the oil field to the roboport powered by gleaming solar panels on one side, while the other side shows a turret being chewed up by a behemoth bitter? Something in the process of being constructed would be nice, too, as it gives the illusion of time. Then again, things are instantly finished in the game, so maybe just a robot "crane" carrying a train station or some such.

Just trying to show additional dimensions that a static, dark image may not convey.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

johanwanderer wrote:Just my $0.02 on the poster / picture: that one only depicts a single phase of the game, namely, the oil phase. It might make the game feel "dirty" with all those pollution.

Why not have something with a larger perspective? For example, looking from the oil field to the roboport powered by gleaming solar panels on one side, while the other side shows a turret being chewed up by a behemoth bitter? Something in the process of being constructed would be nice, too, as it gives the illusion of time. Then again, things are instantly finished in the game, so maybe just a robot "crane" carrying a train station or some such.

Just trying to show additional dimensions that a static, dark image may not convey.
and it's using red insterters that are pulling from the pipe for some reason

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

You should look at paradoxes DLC model. It has worked wonders for their games and I keep on buying the dlc. How it works is every so often they release a new set of dlc. That dlc is more like a traditional expansion for games but you can play the game with or without it; they also release minor dlc with their major dlc that has music/sprites. They use the constant flow of dlc to provide free patches to everyone and continue to keep their game fresh with new features. Really look at the crusader kings 2 and Europa universalis 4 model.

Imagine adding an entire warfare dlc where you can wage a war on a group of the natives, not a passive war but both sides trying to anhiliate one another.

I know some people foam at the mouth when they hear dlc, because of EA milking it, but a good dlc model is more of a modern expansion/patching model that allows "free" patches and even if you lack the dlc you can still play with the person in multiplayer.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

slpwnd wrote:This is a proof-of-concept picture. Not really something to use at the moment. When we have something finished we will share it for sure so it can be used for banners / youtube videos / etc.
Put some stuff on the belts :D

Them all being empty makes no sense in that picture.

scrangos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by scrangos »

I rarely post, but that image was beautiful. The image was done with the 3d models used to make the 2d images for the game? Very impressive =o

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Soo when game will look as this cool picture? :D

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

When you're dealing with GUI tweaks, will you also (at least optionally) remove the autosave progress bar? :) Or am I the only one who's still bugged by this every time?
As always, looking forward to what's up next. You're still doing great work!

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

aawesome stuff.. thank you guys :)

Dragir
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dragir »

Great game at the moment got told by friends it could be a fun game for me, they bought me the game as bithday present, only playing the experimental version.

Only thing what makes me sad atm is that running MP doesnt work fine on 0.12 everytime we want to play a map bigger than 2 MB everyone gets high packet lost (20-40%) while trying to download the map, and its like playing roulette to finish a MP map.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Dragir wrote:Great game at the moment got told by friends it could be a fun game for me, they bought me the game as bithday present, only playing the experimental version.

Only thing what makes me sad atm is that running MP doesnt work fine on 0.12 everytime we want to play a map bigger than 2 MB everyone gets high packet lost (20-40%) while trying to download the map, and its like playing roulette to finish a MP map.
This is the second experimental release of the newly developed online multiplayer in the factorio alpha. You ARE one of the games alpha testers.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

SWSe wrote:When you're dealing with GUI tweaks, will you also (at least optionally) remove the autosave progress bar? :) Or am I the only one who's still bugged by this every time?
Me to i was playing on 11.13 for a long time till 12.0 come out.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

SWSe wrote:When you're dealing with GUI tweaks, will you also (at least optionally) remove the autosave progress bar? :) Or am I the only one who's still bugged by this every time?
So, you want the game to just hang for a few seconds as it autosaves? In that case, you're out of luck – we definitely want to tell the user that the game is doing something instead of just hanging for a bit.

Return to “News”