Friday Facts #96 - The fixing phase

Regular reports on Factorio development.
vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #96 - The fixing phase

Post by vampiricdust »

FishSandwich wrote:
vampiricdust wrote:The research window is almost as annoying in it's interruption of gameplay.
In case you don't know; In the options you can disable the research window so it acts the same as in multiplayer.
Wow, I didn't even think about that. The option says, "Singleplayer game stops when the research is completed". I just took it to mean the game wouldn't end after placing rocket defense. I usually turned it off anyways, but since I have a number of installs, some of them still have it on and I never really connected the dots on that one. It should read "Pause the game when current research finishes". Stop isn't the same as pausing.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

I really like the autosave feature, but truly believe it's need to be high on the agenda to make it occur in the background. It does really disrupt the gameplay flow.

With that said, awesome update. Things are working much better.

ps666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ps666 »

I do not like the pause during the autosave at all. No, i hate it! :x

dusho
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dusho »

yes, please change the auto-saving to not disturb the player if possible
in previous versions 0.9, 0.10 it had much better flow than it has now

Veylon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Veylon »

Minecraft saved when you hit escape to bring up the menu. That was a good time because you were already interrupting game play.

Maybe autosave could wait to fire until the player is bringing up the research or recipes screen. The game could freeze to a halt behind the screen and you wouldn't notice because you're busy looking at it and maybe clicking on stuff. The screen itself could still be responsive, but not integrate whatever was done until after the autosaving was complete. The illusion of seamlessness would only be blatantly broken if the screen was closed right away before autosaving was complete.

There'd also have to be a second autosaving timer in case the player doesn't bring up menus for a really long time. Like if the normal autosave was ten minutes, the forced autosave - like it is now - could happen after thirty minutes.

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

Instead of every thirty minutes, make it also a setting :) (or keep the setting and just add min/max time between autosaves)
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Ojelle wrote:Instead of every thirty minutes, make it also a setting :) (or keep the setting and just add min/max time between autosaves)
There's already a setting, including turning autosave off completely.

Boefjim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Boefjim »

Really good update in my opinion, I always wanted floors to be in the game, because a base filled grass would like very weird.

I also like the way that you automatically pickup items that are on a belt when you break/change it. Otherwise I had to pick the items up every single time.

I hope to see more updates coming!

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

vampiricdust wrote:The only thing that really bugs me about the auto save is how it interrupts anything you're doing. I've had it break mod GUIs so I had to close them and open them again to get them to respond. The research window is almost as annoying in it's interruption of gameplay.
Research finish-interruption is hugely annoying, and needs to stop!

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

FishSandwich wrote:
vampiricdust wrote:The research window is almost as annoying in it's interruption of gameplay.
In case you don't know; In the options you can disable the research window so it acts the same as in multiplayer.
Yes. That worked for a while, but at some point before 11.22, it stopped working as we'd want it to. Now, every time a research is finished, if I have a window open, it gets forced closed. Even with the research window popup disabled. It's freakin' annoying!

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Peter34 wrote:
FishSandwich wrote:
Yes. That worked for a while, but at some point before 11.22, it stopped working as we'd want it to. Now, every time a research is finished, if I have a window open, it gets forced closed. Even with the research window popup disabled. It's freakin' annoying!
That was fixed in 0.12.0.

zangent
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zangent »

I like that the belts now put the items in your inventory when you break them, but is there any possibility of having a key, like maybe holding shift while breaking the belt, that would make it leave the items?
Sometimes I just want to tweak my factory's belts, but I don't want to fill my inventory with circuits.

Either way, this game is 10/10 :D

Return to “News”