Friday Facts #98 - Just fixing bugs

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #98 - Just fixing bugs

Post by kovarex »

Nothing spectacular this week, but there would never be stable game without bugfixing phases :) https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-98

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #98 - Just fixing bugs

Post by Neotix »

kovarex wrote:soon
You're so cruel :P

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Neotix wrote:
kovarex wrote:soon
You're so cruel :P
You know why am I doing it right? :)

I need to make link to the forum post from the blog post, but I also need to make link from the forum to the blog post, so I do this to solve the circular dependency problem :)

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I know but it's still cruel. My F5 will die because of it :P

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

yeah, the whole research screen needs a bit of TLC. A tech tree or just a nicer UI would go a long way. As for the icons, holly hell, you should replace things like that alien tech with just text placeholders. I would really hate you getting into trouble because of some trigger happy lawyers :evil:

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

torham wrote:yeah, the whole research screen needs a bit of TLC. A tech tree or just a nicer UI would go a long way. As for the icons, holly hell, you should replace things like that alien tech with just text placeholders. I would really hate you getting into trouble because of some trigger happy lawyers :evil:
Yes, the research tree is going to be a real tree, it is planned for 0.13

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

a tech tree overhaul awesome!

sad about multisampling i think it makes everything look better

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

when does 0.12.3 come out?
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Multisampling being removed because it's no longer needed with hd textures? :D

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

torham wrote:holly hell, you should replace things like that alien tech with just text placeholders. I would really hate you getting into trouble because of some trigger happy lawyers :evil:
^
this lol, other than that cant wait until 0.13!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

kinnom wrote:when does 0.12.3 come out?
This. The Friday Facts says it's the latest.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

atgc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by atgc »

My god they're right, the alien artifact has a FACE!

Chaoseed
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chaoseed »

If it had been a classic X-COM ship, I would have recognized it. :lol: I've played all of them...even Interceptor. Even Enforcer...

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

0.12.3 is out, and omg that background.. i'm never gonna hit that 'play' button again, i'm just gonna stare at the background image :lol:

sekanz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by sekanz »

Yaay! this is the first release since 11.19 that doesnt stutter when i walk! I'm so excited! :lol:

wwdragon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by wwdragon »

Yay for bug fixes!

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

torham wrote:yeah, the whole research screen needs a bit of TLC. A tech tree or just a nicer UI would go a long way. As for the icons, holly hell, you should replace things like that alien tech with just text placeholders. I would really hate you getting into trouble because of some trigger happy lawyers :evil:
Honestly there is a good chance they would have gotten away with it. Copyright is largely ignored when it comes to old games like that because it's all fuzzy. Who's even the lawful copyright holder anymore? Is there a chance they would ever find out? Would they be desperate enough to care? Would they have desperate enough lawyers? Would the court see any meaning in meddling with such antics? You need positive answers to all of above, which is nigh impossible. Transport Tycoon community did get away with a ton of outright illegal practices thanks to that, although OpenTTD is and has always been fully legal as far as I'm aware - other than being a clone, which isn't exactly illegal yet.

As for the icon, it being unprofessional and inconsistent with the game is a far worse issue overall. The copyright thing is more like a random trivia really.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Drury wrote:
Honestly there is a good chance they would have gotten away with it. Copyright is largely ignored when it comes to old games like that because it's all fuzzy. Who's even the lawful copyright holder anymore? Is there a chance they would ever find out? Would they be desperate enough to care? Would they have desperate enough lawyers? Would the court see any meaning in meddling with such antics? You need positive answers to all of above, which is nigh impossible. Transport Tycoon community did get away with a ton of outright illegal practices thanks to that, although OpenTTD is and has always been fully legal as far as I'm aware - other than being a clone, which isn't exactly illegal yet.

As for the icon, it being unprofessional and inconsistent with the game is a far worse issue overall. The copyright thing is more like a random trivia really.
The icon is from the new Xcom remake. That is very much a new game ( it came out just a couple of years ago). The company is still active and is in fact making a sequel due out next year I think. The remake was very successful and they would easily have enough money to press charges. On top of that, there is a major difference between OTTD ( which I love) and Factorio: Factorio is a paid product. The Factorio devs are SELLING assets from another game. There have been a number of incidents like this in the past that ended up in the court room.
You are right, it wouldn't probably amount to much in the end, just a whole lot of proceedings, but courts are very expensive, and it would pretty much stop dead still any development on the game for several months.

bar10dr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bar10dr »

kovarex wrote:
Yes, the research tree is going to be a real tree, it is planned for 0.13
Oh god yes!

When showing this game to my friends, the current tech screen is the hardest thing to get them to come to terms with.

(My second pet peeve is not having a button to auto-sort inventory if you have auto-sort turned off, like minecraft mods do it)

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

torham wrote:The icon is from the new Xcom remake.
Oh I keep forgetting it's not just the old Xcom now.

That's considerably worse.

Return to “News”