Friday Facts #118 - Improving productivity

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #118 - Improving productivity

Post by kovarex »

AnTracius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #118 - Improving productivity

Post by AnTracius »

Finally! A Steam release date! 2016 is already looking promising!
Factorio is life. Everything has a function--small changes or big changes.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Awesome to hear that there is now an official Steam release date! :D

Although a lot of the other technical stuff in this FF was a bit confusing for me, itd great to see that you guys are finding ways to expedite processes and make things easier on your end.
I will admit, I never even noticed the slight difference in the UI width until it was shown here. Lol
Image Image Image

CrushedIce
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CrushedIce »

So is 0.12 stable going to be version 1.0?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

As much as I love to hear a Steam launch date, I would be way more interested about a date for 0.13. It hurts to read about all those improvements every week and not to know when we will be able to use them.

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

I do not understand why so long you delay with the premiere on Steam, the game is well written and personally I do not have any problem.
i have old laptop with c2d t9600 2.8ghz 6gb ram and gf. 9700m gt and I can play with an open firefox with 25/45 fps average.
These small changes which you want to enter. they are so small the average modification changes more.

ofca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ofca »

"The downside of this kind of work is, that when done perfectly people even don't notice it is there:)"

Welcome to IT and programming. Have a pleasant stay. ;)

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

Pohybel wrote:I do not understand why so long you delay with the premiere on Steam, the game is well written and personally I do not have any problem.
It's the multiplayer bro. IMO the devs think that once multiplayer works right enough to be on par with other steam games that make use of the steam friends/server systems, (client/server browser, laghiding, multiplayer objectives etc) then they can make some real bank and establish "street credit" for their new company among the developer community. Imagine if the first time you played factorio, it was with a completed and fully integrated multiplayer. The devs are picturing a future where most of factorio's players experienced the game for the first time with a completed multiplayer.

AnTracius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AnTracius »

therapist wrote: It's the multiplayer bro. IMO the devs think that once multiplayer works right enough to be on par with other steam games that make use of the steam friends/server systems, (client/server browser, laghiding, multiplayer objectives etc) then they can make some real bank and establish "street credit" for their new company among the developer community. Imagine if the first time you played factorio, it was with a completed and fully integrated multiplayer. The devs are picturing a future where most of factorio's players experienced the game for the first time with a completed multiplayer.
These developers should be a role model for all the other devs out there (even the triple-A devs). I never made a game before, but I know I'll never give people an incomplete burger for payment ordering a full burger (or a good burger). These guys are so patient. You can tell they're not after your money; they're after your satisfaction and smiles—something most developers these days don't do. This reminds me of the first days of Minecraft, but hopefully, Factorio will go way farther from the line Minecraft had set. They deserve everything coming their way once they release on Steam. I predict a storm is coming...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

AnTracius wrote:
therapist wrote: It's the multiplayer bro. IMO the devs think that once multiplayer works right enough to be on par with other steam games that make use of the steam friends/server systems, (client/server browser, laghiding, multiplayer objectives etc) then they can make some real bank and establish "street credit" for their new company among the developer community. Imagine if the first time you played factorio, it was with a completed and fully integrated multiplayer. The devs are picturing a future where most of factorio's players experienced the game for the first time with a completed multiplayer.
These developers should be a role model for all the other devs out there (even the triple-A devs). I never made a game before, but I know I'll never give people an incomplete burger for payment ordering a full burger (or a good burger). These guys are so patient. You can tell they're not after your money; they're after your satisfaction and smiles—something most developers these days don't do. This reminds me of the first days of Minecraft, but hopefully, Factorio will go way farther from the line Minecraft had set. They deserve everything coming their way once they release on Steam. I predict a storm is coming...
Well, we are after your money, obviously, but we want to make a mutually good trade :)

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

Merry Christmas to you too and thank you for an amazing game! :D
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

Weresmilodon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Weresmilodon »

kovarex wrote:
AnTracius wrote:
Well, we are after your money, obviously, but we want to make a mutually good trade :)
The best trade is the one where both parts benefit.

JelteTheHero
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JelteTheHero »

Is it possible to take my safefiles with me to the steam version of the game?

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

This game for a long time is ready to sale on Steam delay does not make sense,you can already earn money.
This would affect improvement and probably acceleration implementation of ideas.
Do not waste time because time is money, Keep in mind that someone may relase game like yours and you will get loss.

AnTracius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AnTracius »

kovarex wrote:Well, we are after your money, obviously, but we want to make a mutually good trade :)
But of course! You guys need sustenance, haha! I can tell this is gonna be one heck of an adventure—an adventure to Factorio 1.0 and beyond. Steam is a great milestone; a big one. Can't wait to see how much the community will change after Steam. I just can't express how much I love your game. Keep up the good work, you guys! We'll be rooting for you!

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

kovarex wrote:Well, we are after your money, obviously, but we want to make a mutually good trade :)
Capitalism as it should be! :)
Adam Smith wrote:It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.
Congrats on the steam date, I'm sure it will be well received! Maybe I'll even try multiplayer :)

DaveKap
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaveKap »

Happy to see you guys using Fastbuild to improve your compilation times! Franta's a cool dude. :mrgreen:

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ikarikeiji »

Wow, so many amazing pieces of news and on Christmas Day too. I'm looking forward to playing 0.13 so much! Presumably you can rename trains too?

Lanceraad
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lanceraad »

So wait.. steam needs to inspect/curate the game for a full month? Why?
Multiplayer? Steam workshop?
Even though valve lets everyone and their dog put up shit on the store.
Sometimes even screenshots& discriptions that lie to the customer, or games that are straight up maniacal.

Anyway, this fff is full of good news, so keep up the good work, and I hope everyone had a nice christmas :D

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

So you are telling, that 0.13 will be finished in a month? You better start publishing the latest versions for us to test it soon! ;)

Return to “News”