Friday Facts #64 - The plans

Regular reports on Factorio development.
lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #64 The plans

Post by lancar »

Spaceship building is cool.
To be perfectly honest, I don't really see anything wrong with the becoming-a-rich-bastard ending, what with the whole exploitation of the alien world thing going on.

I'd like the rocket building to be able to launch satellites as well. Of the rain-fiery-death-upon-those-who-oppose-you kind. Or orbital building placement. That'd be so awesome :).

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

There's a basic problem with your understanding of the whole thing, torham: There are two ways things can work out if people complain about something: Either they recognize how good an idea is, or they give up and just accept an inferior idea. You can't distinguish both ways. You will never know what way is the right if you don't ask the people. Just listening for complains is not enough.

I didn't complain about the new stack size, but someone else will maybe think different.

Too be honest, the whole "rich bastard" idea sounds like a joke, not like an actual idea for the endgame. But well, I don't know if I would complain. ^^
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

internetrush
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by internetrush »

I was hoping the development would go more like :

Conquer first planet set of aliens (easier type), gather enough resources to get to second planet

Second planet has harder type of aliens, must reestablish your base(refine your designs). Once you rebuild your starship (due to unforseen damage) you go to planet 3 and so on...

Rince repeat, a score for enemies killed (with multiplier for their difficulty) gets created and the goal will be to get highest score.

I feel this model has more play-ability than a finite ending. Also opens up possibilities like more advanced weaponry and the like, nukes would be fun to mess around with and aerial bombardments :).

Just a thought...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Factorio is about automation. It will never happen, that you need to go planet by planet. This is why this game is so addictive, cause you don't repeat.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Where did all those militant people come from anyway?
Did they just keep quiet till "now", or they joined "recently"?

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

i like the idea with a space ship.

1. build special production buildings for different ship parts.
2. make with a blueprint a ship with small factory setup
3. have the possibility to produce more ships from the blueprint

i dont like to trade with the ship. i like more the idea to bring settlers and special ressources. so you must build homes, food production....

the win conditions are:
- build a army that is big enough to kill the aliens.
- or pay x ressources every game tick to the aliens depends of the factory size

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

With space ships, one thing comes to my mind.
Starbound approach. New planet -> new ore -> new tech -> harder enemies. You can have like tier 0 planet (spawn) and tier 1,2,3 each with harsher environment and more and tougher enemies. WIth new material you could build better turrets/weapons/ammo/tanks and walls.

You know, when you get spaceship, there's nothing to stop progress there. If authors won't make it like that, i bet there will be some mods that will do that. Want better assembler? Well maybe you'd need some titanium that will be harder to process (Bobs mods).

Maybe higher tier planet's won't have iron or copper or stone and you'll have to plan logistics space deliveries (think of space trains!).

Automate universe! Now the whole planetary system is your big factory! I bet that will be harder to beat than current rocket defense.

MeinAccount
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MeinAccount »

cpy wrote:With space ships, one thing comes to my mind.
Starbound approach. New planet -> new ore -> new tech -> harder enemies. You can have like tier 0 planet (spawn) and tier 1,2,3 each with harsher environment and more and tougher enemies. WIth new material you could build better turrets/weapons/ammo/tanks and walls.

You know, when you get spaceship, there's nothing to stop progress there. If authors won't make it like that, i bet there will be some mods that will do that. Want better assembler? Well maybe you'd need some titanium that will be harder to process (Bobs mods).

Maybe higher tier planet's won't have iron or copper or stone and you'll have to plan logistics space deliveries (think of space trains!).

Automate universe! Now the whole planetary system is your big factory! I bet that will be harder to beat than current rocket defense.
This is the best idea I've heared so far! :D

Architekt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Architekt »

Guys, don't forget that the game begins with your crash on some unknown planet. And you are trying to build rocker defense so someone can come and save you. Ending should expand this basic idea. Maybe nobody can find you and you have to build a spaceship a save yourself. But any kind of ending where you stay on the planet and/or nearby space does not make much sense.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Architekt wrote:Guys, don't forget that the game begins with your crash on some unknown planet. And you are trying to build rocker defense so someone can come and save you. Ending should expand this basic idea. Maybe nobody can find you and you have to build a spaceship a save yourself. But any kind of ending where you stay on the planet and/or nearby space does not make much sense.
Who needs reason? I'm here to mine stuff, pollute the hell out of planet and kill aliens. Might as well launch a rocket to kill more aliens on different planet. Oh and I like trains.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

KSP has some really excellent devs. They make an educated decision of each major feature. For example, they are introducing pilot experience. They were going to add an effect that improved the engines of a craft depending on the pilot. There was a huge uprising and they have dropped it from the game. The community wasn't against individuality or experience, just adding such a cheesy arcade effect that ruined the feel of the game.

I think spaceships = off the planet awesome ( ;) ). But the ending needs to fit in with the game. Here we are, landing on an alien planet, effectively destroying it. The endgame should be the continuation of that. The more shocking the ending or the greater the twist at the end, the better. A great game with a poor ending is a poor game. An ok game with a truly superb ending will be a great game.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

This!
ssilk wrote:Factorio is about automation. It will never happen, that you need to go planet by planet. This is why this game is so addictive, cause you don't repeat.
I don't think factorio should have an end game you should strive to. Factorio is fun for me because there is no end game. I can go on forever improving designs, making things different, trying to find the best way to do something.
Factorio's "end game" should be the need to conquer more land, destroy more biters, build more buildings and create something that will be able to expand by its self, without human intervention.
Making Everything automated is what factorio should be about.
Waste of bytes : P

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I don't really want this game to end. What endgame minecraft have?

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

cpy wrote:I don't really want this game to end. What endgame minecraft have?
Slaying the dragon is the end, allowing you to continue afterwards.

Architekt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Architekt »

cpy wrote:
Architekt wrote:Guys, don't forget that the game begins with your crash on some unknown planet. And you are trying to build rocker defense so someone can come and save you. Ending should expand this basic idea. Maybe nobody can find you and you have to build a spaceship a save yourself. But any kind of ending where you stay on the planet and/or nearby space does not make much sense.
Who needs reason? I'm here to mine stuff, pollute the hell out of planet and kill aliens. Might as well launch a rocket to kill more aliens on different planet. Oh and I like trains.
So why do you care about end game? There's no problem if you go your own way and do whatever you want.

But there are also people who likes the story of Factorio and would like to see how the story will develop to the end game.

JLBShecky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JLBShecky »

Well my thoughts on whatever endgame content the decide to add is as follows:

Code: Select all

function OpinionOfEndGame(evt)
  local msg = "";
  if endGame.isModable() == true then
    msg = "Why would anyone complain, making an end game mod would be a better use of one's time.";
  else
    msg = "I'll probably play it for the ending at least once.";
  end

game.players[evt.player].print(msg);
end

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

keyboardhack wrote:This!
ssilk wrote:Factorio is about automation. It will never happen, that you need to go planet by planet. This is why this game is so addictive, cause you don't repeat.
I don't think factorio should have an end game you should strive to. Factorio is fun for me because there is no end game. I can go on forever improving designs, making things different, trying to find the best way to do something.
Factorio's "end game" should be the need to conquer more land, destroy more biters, build more buildings and create something that will be able to expand by its self, without human intervention.
Making Everything automated is what factorio should be about.
good statement. i want no end, only more endgame content.

and yes, many things are modable. but i dont have the time to start so a project :(

Night_Ange1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Night_Ange1 »

I like the idea of a space platform, and rockets for endgame.

How about the space platform be a save spot for multiple games. Each game is independent until you get to the space platform stage. After that you can "Load" 1 rockets worth of inventory and transport it between your space platform and each world (not working simultaneously).

Want to start a new world with better resources? Pick "New World" in travel destination and crash land with 1 Rockets worth of "starter equipment" + what's equipped, however, you can only go back once you research all the way back to rocketry.

The only worlds you can safely send rockets to without them being destroyed are those with rocket defenses. (Should a rocket defense be something you can bring with you?)

Anyways GREAT GAME DEVS keep up the good work!

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

I'm wondering if you are planning any special behaviour for the enemy towards the end of the game? Right now I think the enemy is somewhat boring after a while. So maybe we can except some special events there? Like a huge attack wave, or some new bases here and there.

LordKnows
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by LordKnows »

For a background story I would have liked more something about deep space exploration, with Factorios fairly lonely and mechanical atmosphere (a good thing) a fitting theme for me would be that the player is an advanced, adaptive robotic AI that awakens on the planet after thousands or even millions of lightyears of travel from an advanced civillization. The objective would be to replicate yourself and launch two new "factorioids" to new targets, maybe you'd have to build some advanced astronomical stuff to identify habitable planets, I think there are many possibilities with this approach. The automation aspect of this story would also fit the game.

Even though it takes time scales beyond our comprehension, the idea of this sort of self replicating deep space probe is realistically considered to be one of the only viable methods of exploring large tracts of the universe because you get a multiplying effect and in not too many steps you are exploring millions of planets at once.

In the end though, the story doesn't matter much to a game with as brilliant mechanics as factorio. A really good one could be a big plus though.

Return to “News”