Friday Facts #73 - Minds versus bytes.

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #73 - Minds versus bytes.

Post by kovarex »

Mainly about the plans for the endgame goal: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-73

JohnTS
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #72 Minds versus bytes.

Post by JohnTS »

Hnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg

MeinAccount
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #73 Minds versus bytes.

Post by MeinAccount »

Great graphics! :D Take the time you need, rushing for an update is never good!

Btw: You misspelled the title ;)

Pridesfall
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pridesfall »

That picture. Wow. Good job.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

So you build a spaceship and embark on an epic quest to feed your pet biters with frozen people.

That's beautiful.

Luaan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Luaan »

Looks great :)

I wouldn't go with the Space Run thingy, though. At best, you'll make a mini-game which is completely different from the rest of the game. So you play your game for hours, and for the grand finale, you get to play... a different game.

The basic idea is really nice, but if you want to make a game out of the space trip, make it in the spirit of Factorio. Look at how many people dislike the "mini-game" of fighting biters - and that still isn't too far from the central gameplay. Surely the great community here can find a great thing that will work well with the game as a whole, and that will give it the finale feel :)

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

I understood the "space run" section to mean you have a limited "island" floating in space (aka your ship) on where you can build all sorts of defenses and factories. That island then goes to gather the colonists while random waves of enemies are coming at you.

Essentially, it'd be relatively similar to the on-ground gameplay with different enemies, (possibly) limited "land" area and different sort of resource gathering

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Yeah I hope the Space Run thing is just for illustration that you have this platform that you build stuff on. Realtime micromanagement done the way Space Run does it is not something I'd want to do in Factorio. The game honestly seems more like something you'd play on a tablet, it doesn't have Factorio written anywhere on it.

If you Factorio-fy it enough, the very rough concept (platform with player-built stuff on it soaring through space gathering stuff around it) might work though. It just needs to be much, much more slow-paced than Space Run so you have time to optimize the stuff you build and basically manage to have a self-sustaining factory up there.

Maybe the resources are like these asteroids floating in space. When you see one, you erect this huge space harpoon type of thing at the side of your ship and fire it at the asteroid when gets close. The harpoon then pulls it up to the hull of the ship, locking it in place and the ship's grid. From then on, the asteroid becomes a natural expansion of your ship - you go out and build miners on it like you would on a regular resource field, with belts and stuff. Instead of science, the resources you mine are primarily used for huge turrets against nasty aliens and pirates and ninjas and shiz that are in space instead of biters and attack you every now and then. Maybe you could use harpoons to pull enemy spaceships towards your ship and assimilate them similarly to asteroids, perhaps with the crew of the ship going out to kill you the instant their ship locks up to yours. They could have chests with good loot inside of them for compensation, plus free building space.

You get the idea.

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cordylus »

The coolest picture I've ever seen in the FF... :P
Last edited by Cordylus on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Drury wrote:Yeah I hope the Space Run thing is just for illustration that you have this platform that you build stuff on. Realtime micromanagement done the way Space Run does it is not something I'd want to do in Factorio. The game honestly seems more like something you'd play on a tablet, it doesn't have Factorio written anywhere on it.

If you Factorio-fy it enough, the very rough concept (platform with player-built stuff on it soaring through space gathering stuff around it) might work though. It just needs to be much, much more slow-paced than Space Run so you have time to optimize the stuff you build and basically manage to have a self-sustaining factory up there.

Maybe the resources are like these asteroids floating in space. When you see one, you erect this huge space harpoon type of thing at the side of your ship and fire it at the asteroid when gets close. The harpoon then pulls it up to the hull of the ship, locking it in place and the ship's grid. From then on, the asteroid becomes a natural expansion of your ship - you go out and build miners on it like you would on a regular resource field, with belts and stuff. Instead of science, the resources you mine are primarily used for huge turrets against nasty aliens and pirates and ninjas and shiz that are in space instead of biters and attack you every now and then. Maybe you could use harpoons to pull enemy spaceships towards your ship and assimilate them similarly to asteroids, perhaps with the crew of the ship going out to kill you the instant their ship locks up to yours. They could have chests with good loot inside of them for compensation, plus free building space.

You get the idea.
Ofcourse, we are going to factorio-fy it, the plan is, that the player will have no way to interact with the ship once it arrives, so you just have to plan everything and then you can just watch if it fails or not.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

kovarex wrote:
Drury wrote:Yeah I hope the Space Run thing is just for illustration that you have this platform that you build stuff on. Realtime micromanagement done the way Space Run does it is not something I'd want to do in Factorio. The game honestly seems more like something you'd play on a tablet, it doesn't have Factorio written anywhere on it.

You get the idea.
Ofcourse, we are going to factorio-fy it, the plan is, that the player will have no way to interact with the ship once you launch it, so you just have to plan everything and then you can just watch if it fails or not.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Oh so it's very much like SpaceChem then. First you build your reactors and then you click go and watch them blow up.

Interesting.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Building automated ships factorio-style that blow up if I mess up?
Maybe I'll start playing again :)

Pity it's not compatible with my so far preferred backstory explanation

nours77
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nours77 »

It s nice to heard, factorio will on stable way soon...
i don t understand a things for the end game story, you will make and send a space ship to rescue the mother ship with people sleeping. you will go ? Then what ? they come in the planet ? You stay in space and go away, look for another world ? or just a poor end with no answers ?
my idea, you build a rocket to rescue the mother ship (to make it land, what you can do in space with no supply ?), then you must build a land place for the mother ship, when it come you have to fix it, and reload it (liquids, supply (food maybe but with people who sleep, no need in story)), with an alien rush time (final of the fireworks), you have to make a powerfull protect for your landing place, and after the time you need to fix and load the ship (several points), you go in another world in end, in that way there is a lot of thing to add, sorry... but it will cool for multi (lots of things to do in the same time)... and it s close the story, come back to the begining, you will be a héros when people will wake up... a day...

Schorty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schorty »

I have to agree with most of the people here. The picture is just pure awesomeness! Also the way you are planning to go is greatly appreciated!

Keep it up, guys! :D
Tired of not being able to reduce the pollution? Try the Air-Filter-Mod
With this, you are able to use the pollution levels in your circuit network: Pollution detector

BrinCaspian
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BrinCaspian »

But what will I do with my millions of stockpiled parts! :o

topforce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by topforce »

Rocket overall looks cool but the engine placement seems off. There can be one large engine bellow center of mass or 3 similar sized rocket engines. Even if the smaller ones are meant to be for flight control I would expect them to be opposite of each other or more of them.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

topforce wrote:Rocket overall looks cool but the engine placement seems off. There can be one large engine bellow center of mass or 3 similar sized rocket engines. Even if the smaller ones are meant to be for flight control I would expect them to be opposite of each other or more of them.
Comon, this isn't KSP. The ship looks nice and cool ( or rather hot) ;)

On topic: I like the idea of spaceship trials by asteroids, solar flares, space termites black holes and god knows what else... So the game will end if you manage to recover at least 1 colonist from the mothership? Or will we have to than develop a habitat area with food production and living spaces?

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

Love the pic. I like what Korvex said, fire and wait and see what happens. What I hope is that building the space station take quite awhile and consumes tons of resources. Then you have to build the ship after that. I just want to make sure each map takes quite a while to play.

AssaultRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AssaultRaven »

I'm just writing stream-of-consciousness here, but let me know what you think:

It occurs to me that metal-rich asteroids would completely swamp the planet itself in terms of available metals. Once a space platform is established, asteroid harvesting ships could provide an extremely high-volume supply of ores, thus allowing for factories and goals that require extremely large amounts of processing and material without having to impose the tedium of building hundreds of mining bases. Since they're would start out in space, this could also save the trouble of moving platform extensions to orbit: once you can build them in orbit, part 2 really begins. Now you can expand the working surface at will and intake hundreds of kgs of ore per second.

To really kick things into the next gear, this could also be the part where the game shifts to 3d factories, by letting you build multiple platform levels and mechanisms for moving goods between levels.

Return to “News”