[0.12.9] Bots can be mined to instantly recharge

Bugs that are actually features.
PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.12.9] Bots can be mined to instantly recharge

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

More likely to occur with Personal Roboport than actual robot networks. Also of little consequence due to the low amount of power gained.

As stored bots have full power by default, it's possible to bypass the need for them to charge by "mining" them while they're waiting to charge.
If they're in modular armour they'll then zip about full of energy again.
Rinse and repeat.

Highly cheatable if you are out in the field and want to lay a massive blueprint quickly. Spam your Modular/Power Armour with Personal Roboport and use a Blueprint.
Then when they come back to charge, hold right click in the right in the spot they wait to charge with a good pickaxe (Steel or a super modded one)

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.9] Bots can be mined to instantly recharge

Post by keyboardhack »

shhh we don't want them to fix this. Even with 3fusion things it can still be a pain to recharge those drones.
Waste of bytes : P

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

It was always like this even with normal network. Without it you would have to keep 50 stacks of robots each with different state similar to when you pick up damaged building.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

oLaudix wrote:It was always like this even with normal network. Without it you would have to keep 50 stacks of robots each with different state similar to when you pick up damaged building.
It's less of an issue at your base, as you would have constant power sufficient enough to charge all your bots.would have constant power to do anything (as 1 piece of coal allows a robot to move 8000 metres).
With personal roboport you can have 250 Robots to build a massive outpost without needing any power generation in your Power Armour.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

keyboardhack wrote:shhh we don't want them to fix this. Even with 3fusion things it can still be a pain to recharge those drones.
shhh, some of us do :D At least i do, as i don't always have the willpower to not abuse it.

I quickly added sort of a fix in a small mod i hadn't released yet, now it feels like it adds enough options: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 91&t=16945
You can make them unminable or return the materials when mined.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

They convert the mining energy into the electric energy and they recharge their batteries using that. Problem solved :)

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

And done!
Haha.

I'm not sure how you'll fix this one. Storing energy values will cause a mess. And making them unminable can be difficult if you're running away from biters and want to quickly collect all of them.

Perhaps not letting the bots leave and work unless there is a sufficient buffer in the personal reboport?
And drain that when/if they are mined?

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:And done!
Haha.

I'm not sure how you'll fix this one. Storing energy values will cause a mess. And making them unminable can be difficult if you're running away from biters and want to quickly collect all of them.

Perhaps not letting the bots leave and work unless there is a sufficient buffer in the personal reboport?
And drain that when/if they are mined?
I've been thinking that when you release robots from your inventory, they'll start off in a completely discharged state and their first order of business will be to go to a roboport – normal or personal – to charge. This would apply to all robots, no matter if you mined them in mid-air, crafted them or took them out of a roboport.

But, personally, I don't see this as a problem. If you want to spend your time catching robots mid-air with your mouse, then so be it.

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

Just make sure that my inventory and my portable roboport dont mix up :)

Edit: sorry, useless post...
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Hmm this got filed as 'not a bug' ?

Would think it would be a really simple fix if bots charged before leaving inventory and maybe returned their excess charge when returning to inventory. This would fix the exploit feeling at least. Maybe it would also allow bots to return to inventory after their job is complete faster, seems when they return they recharge before returning to inventory; whereas if they discharged as returning to inventory I wouldn't have to hang out for (ever) waiting for them to get back in. (well I guess discharge might take time too huh?)

Maybe also another indicator could show for robot port available charge much like the battery?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37165 (someone also mentioned the exploit here which made me think of this thread)

Return to “Not a bug”