playing multiplayer on same account

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
traneSFC
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

playing multiplayer on same account

Post by traneSFC »

my son wants to play factorio with me on lan game. is there a way to play game with same steam account 2 computers

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: playing multiplayer on same account

Post by Koub »

Every player should have their own Factorio licence, and by extension, account.
So either your son has his own steam account and should buy Factorio On Steam too, or he could buy it directly on the website, and play it without Steam being involved (Or buy it on the website, and link it to his Steam account afterwards).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

traneSFC
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by traneSFC »

yeah I am aware of all that thank you for your reply, my son is 10 :) so I just dont want to buy game twice just for his impulsive request.

SinuoS
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SinuoS »

If you create a second steam account you can do a "family share" or something like that on steam. Aka he can use games from your steam account without buying them. But i am not sure if you can play both online with this tactics, but you can easily try for free.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

SinuoS wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:55 am
If you create a second steam account you can do a "family share" or something like that on steam. Aka he can use games from your steam account without buying them. But i am not sure if you can play both online with this tactics, but you can easily try for free.
You can't through Steam: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/v ... multaneous
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

SinuoS
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SinuoS »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:17 pm
SinuoS wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:55 am
You can't through Steam: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/v ... multaneous
Ah good to know, i swear a couple years back it was different. Maybe i miss-remember.

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hornwitser »

Yes, this is possible, but it's much easier if you use a non-steam copy of the game for the second player. Fortunately the devs have been kind enough to include a non-steam copy of the game with a steam purchase. This is what you need to do.
  1. Register a Factorio.com account in-game with your steam copy of the game (if you haven't already done this).
  2. Login on Factorio.com with the account you created
  3. Head over the download page to download and install the non-steam version of the full game on the second computer you want to play on.
  4. On the second computer's copy of Factorio go to Settings->Other Settings and input a different LAN player name than what you use on your first computer. (If you logged in to enable automatic updates you need to log out before you can change the name here).
  5. Host a multiplayer game on the computer with the steam copy and uncheck "Public" under Visibility, and "Verify user identity" on Access. Make sure "LAN" under Visibility is checked.
  6. The second computer should now be able to see the game in "Browse LAN games" list and join it.
I think it's possible to accomplish the same using steam as well, but you would at minimum have to use your own steam account on both computers and go to offline mode in steam on at least one of them. You should also disable the steam cloud sync if you try this, otherwise that will cause you problems.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Hornwitser wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:57 pm
If OP wants to pirate the game that is up to him, no one really cares, neither me nor Wube I think. But it is against the terms so it's a bit weird to publically instruct on how to pirate the game on the official forums.

The DRM-less game client and the extra keys (for the singular license) and the demo are all some of the many ways Wube shows that they trust us and their quality product and respect they show us. They believe that we will show similar respect in turn. You could discuss these details in private at least. Wube deserves us publically (and in private as well, but use your own judgement) promoting paying for the game for each user.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Qon wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:28 pm
Hornwitser wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:57 pm
If OP wants to pirate the game that is up to him, no one really cares, neither me nor Wube I think. But it is against the terms so it's a bit weird to publically instruct on how to pirate the game on the official forums.
We don't really consider playing with a friend or relative in your own home as piracy,
We're sure if the game is fun and engaging enough for them, they will eventually buy their own copy

Return to “Technical Help”