Consistent Crash During Launch (All versions)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
ttom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Consistent Crash During Launch (All versions)

Post by ttom »

I got a new laptop about 8 months ago and factorio has not worked since i got my new laptop. Every month or two i would update everything on my laptop and try launching factorio again. It has been so long since i've played and i really want to use all the new features and try some of the really cool mods.

Info on the crash and what i have tried so far:
Launch would crash specifically at "Loading Mods... 10%"
To try and fix this i tried running the game in windows vista service pack one and two and windows server 2008. Trying to launch with those gave me an actual error screen "R6025 pure virtual function call"
After googling that error i tried updating my graphics card and launched again. This time the launch got to 89%, but still it crashed. Tried with the service packs and the same thing happened with no specific error.

I have tried many of the other versions as well as using the zip files.

At this point, I'm pretty sure it is an issue with my graphics card, but i don't know how to fix it or what to do. Can anyone help?

Here is my system info and graphics card info... idk what's useful but i'll throw as much info on here as i can:

Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150427-0707)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP EliteBook 840 G1
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8090MB RAM
Page File: 2181MB used, 13994MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Display Memory: 763 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1071 MB
Shared Memory: 3788 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 8750M
^That's where i think the problem is but i have no idea what to do...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Consistent Crash During Launch (All versions)

Post by Koub »

Hi,
My first guess is your laptop lacks graphical memory.

First thing, remove all mods from the mods folder, and give a try to vanilla. If it loads, then you know you can run the game, but the addition of all your mods is just too much.
If the game still crashes at launch, try to edit config.ini, and change the following options :
low-graphics=true
graphics-quality=very-low
fullscreen=false

Once again, if it launches, you know your hardware is the limit. If everything fails, there might be something else I don't see.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Your CPU has a built in GPU and the game might be trying the use that one instead of your AMD GPU. You should be able to change that in either your AMD grapichs or Intel settings.
Waste of bytes : P

ttom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ttom »

Koub wrote:Hi,
My first guess is your laptop lacks graphical memory.

First thing, remove all mods from the mods folder, and give a try to vanilla. If it loads, then you know you can run the game, but the addition of all your mods is just too much.
If the game still crashes at launch, try to edit config.ini, and change the following options :
low-graphics=true
graphics-quality=very-low
fullscreen=false

Once again, if it launches, you know your hardware is the limit. If everything fails, there might be something else I don't see.
I don't have any mods installed yet, but the edit to config.ini actually made it launch. Thank you so much. I can't believe your idea fixed it... is spent so long looking for an answer and all you had to do was throw out an idea... i feel really stupid, thanks haha.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

You're welcome :).
Despite Factorio is "a small indie game" (which is not explicitely false, buy somehow inaccurate imho), it does need some hardware to run. Now that it runs, you may want to fiddle with graphical options to make things more appealing when you play, you're probably not obliged to run with all minimal settings : I think the biggest step is to get the game running. After that, there shouldn't be much more graphical memory needed when your factory expands. At that moment, it's more the cpu that hinders if your factory gets big (in that case, it just slows down, but doesn't crash).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ttom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ttom »

Unfortunately it has stopped working again... i have. The launch completed one time and i closed and restarted it 3 times to make sure it was working. Today it just won't work. I have tries uninstalling and reinstalling and following edit you told me to do as well and nothing works... how did your solution work then and not now? This is so frustrating

ttom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ttom »

keyboardhack wrote:Your CPU has a built in GPU and the game might be trying the use that one instead of your AMD GPU. You should be able to change that in either your AMD grapichs or Intel settings.
After doing this as well as editing the config.ini file, it seems to be working again. Hopefully it stays working. And thank you both for the tips.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

If you have just barely enough graphics memory to run the game, then opening other applications, or even random fragmentation of graphic memory can cause the game to not start. There's not much we can do about it, sorry.

Wigster600
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wigster600 »

Hello, I crash all the time on start up, however I get a "fail to create display" error.

But here's the best part.

Video Card:
Driver: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

It seems this game has an issue with AMD/ATI Radeons in general. :?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Radeon HD 4250 has 512MB video memory, the bare minimum listed in system requirements.

The requirements probably need to be increased, or a note added about how to reduce graphics quality.

Or even better, auto-detect video memory and reduce graphics automatically!

Wigster600
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wigster600 »

DaveMcW wrote:Radeon HD 4250 has 512MB video memory, the bare minimum listed in system requirements.

The requirements probably need to be increased, or a note added about how to reduce graphics quality.

Or even better, auto-detect video memory and reduce graphics automatically!
Granted, but 'tis oddly damanding for a game with graphics like this.

Adolf01
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Adolf01 »

If you have just barely enough graphics memory to run the game, then opening other applications, or even random fragmentation of graphic memory can cause the game to not start. There's not much we can do about it, sorry.

xboxxxxd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xboxxxxd »

I know it's for 'sure' a year ago that in this topic the last reply was made, i may respond late, but just wanted to let you guys know that.. :roll:

Factorio can just run in Usable 2,75GB Ram (Allocated 3GB RAM), Duo Intel CPU -both 2,80Mhz (32Bit),
128MB Video Memory on (AMD/ATI) "Radeon 300x/550x/1050x Series" with 60Hz and 32Bit True-Color,
and even with about 40/45 Heavy mods (Bobs Modpack, Dim5 Modpack, etc),
and finally all Factorio settings on Medium with 35/50FPS...

And somehow the game run's decent enough to enjoy.

(Wanted to add picture's off the settings i have atm, but to lazy to upload and link it to here, ask for it if you want to se it.)

And also, as mentioned before sometimes in this old Topic:
Just try closing as much applications and even service's if you really sure, it nearly always helps!..

Example of Windows 7 Service's and stuff you won't even barely need:
Service Taskmanager > mobsync.exe <-> A Windows Offline Files Sync Centre, Barely used by Windows users.
Service Taskmanager > SearchProtocolHost.exe <-> Microsoft's System Protocol Research Host Service, This service prevent's the system from getting Damaged by using litterly Protocol's, But if your using a okey anti-virus, or somthing related to that, you don't even need it (Service starts with execution from explorer.exe, One time on start (code: exec.RunOnce),).
And for more Example's down below!:
(msconfig) Startup Service > Steam Client Bootstrapper <-> External Verification Process from Steam.
(msconfig) Startup Service > Java Platform SE Auto Updater <-> Updates Java Service Enviroment Automaticly.
(msconfig) Service > LMIGuardianSvc <-> Hamachi's Network Protection Service (Now known as 'LogMeIn').
(msconfig) Service > Mozilla Maintenance Service <-> Maintenance Service from Mozilla Firefox (WebBrowser), Helps you Protect from Virusses from the internet, NetWare, etc, also Provide's Updates and more.

When these 6 Above listed Service's and Task's are Off/Disabled, This give's you about 400MB Ram Depending on the use of the Products,
Give's the Possibility to run 30 of Those heavy mods for Factorio! 8-)

PS: Whenever you have a Texture Error when using mods at the moment the loading screen is saying this (*Loading Sprites...*),
Simply Remove a mod that you may not use, and/or you won't use so much, and that you maybe can find in another better mod, etc,
That also works :D ..

Greetings.xboxxxxd

Return to “Technical Help”