[1.1.106] Crash occurring when the progress bar fully loaded, when using Alien Biomes

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
MrSmoothieHuman
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.106] Crash occurring when the progress bar fully loaded, when using Alien Biomes

Post by MrSmoothieHuman »

Hello! i was told to come here for help, after asking on the server. I've been having this issue for a while now but finally decided to ask on the actual forums.

When using Alien Biomes (i cant give an exact version, but since late 2023 this has been going on), the game will load up and show the loading screen, but when it reaches 95 percent, the game will freeze and then close itself, with no error message. Ontop of that, randomly and very rarely it'll just.. work, as if there's no problem. This occurs when the mod is alone, or with other mods (only tried Space Exploration and Nullius, but i'd presume it'd be the same answer for other mods too).
I've checked the currrent logs constantly, and everything looks normal to me but they just "cut off" when the loading gets to 95. I've linked my current and previous log. I have noticed though, sometimes the final line will be "Sprites loaded", but the game will still crash. Im not sure if that means anything, but alas.

I did ask on Earendals server for some help, but i was told that it wasnt something they could fix, so im gonna take a guess its either a problem with factorio, or my bucket of bolts is kicking the afermentioned bucket.
I've asked some others if they had any idea what the problem might be and the only thing we've come up with is the tile limit being reached; but it feels weird if that is the issue, since i've never seen or heard of this happening to anyone else.
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(26.74 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
factorio-current.log
(26.74 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
coder? i hardly know her!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.106] Crash occurring when the progress bar fully loaded, when using Alien Biomes

Post by Rseding91 »

Looking at the log file I see 2 issues.

1. You've forced the game to run as OpenGL which is measurably worse performance wise than the default of DirectX. Is there a reason you did this?

2. Your GPU has 2 GB of video memory and you're trying to run graphics heavy mods.

My theory is you're running out of video memory and the program crashes.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

MrSmoothieHuman
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [1.1.106] Crash occurring when the progress bar fully loaded, when using Alien Biomes

Post by MrSmoothieHuman »

1. No reason, didn't know there was even another option (and if you don't mind me asking, how would i switch?)

2. 2GB? wow, that's low - fair enough, really should get on a new GPU sometimes soon, that'd probably explain why once in a blue moon it does work, i just have less things using my video memory

Thank you :]
coder? i hardly know her!

Return to “Technical Help”