Nintendo switch out of system ram

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Gordfact47
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Nintendo switch out of system ram

Post by Gordfact47 »

Having a Nintendo switch problem with Factorio. Game runs out of system ram after making a mega base game gives error saying out of ram total used 3971/3981 file size 16 mb. It's not a storage problem since I am only using 150 megabytes out of the available 1 gb which is the max.

I reduced sprite resolution to normal and problem still persists.

Any ideas ?

Gordfact47
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Nintendo switch out of system ram

Post by Gordfact47 »

I cannot save the game to make any further progress unless there is a way fo make more use out of the 4gb of ram which the switch has. Maybe If switch had 8gb of ram then you could make larger maps on the switch version.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

The limit is what it is, you could explore less and reduce or disable pollution in a new run to reduce map data.

Gordfact47
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gordfact47 »

Ok I will test that in a new map and see if I can fill it up again and get the same error.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

The limit will always be easy to reach on the switch, it is just not the system to build anything one would call a mega base.

Gordfact47
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gordfact47 »

I have seen one megabase called osiris I got it from the PC version of steam I had and transfered it to switch and it's a 32mb save and it works fine which is amazing. But this is the only save I have that works that large.

Gordfact47
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gordfact47 »

Will the current version of Factorio support the next Switches 12gb of system ram or will it need a patch to work on that system since I heard it will be backwards compatible with the current switch software.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Gordfact47 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:28 pm
I have seen one megabase called osiris I got it from the PC version of steam I had and transfered it to switch and it's a 32mb save and it works fine which is amazing. But this is the only save I have that works that large.
I don't think the save file size means a lot in regards to ram usage, as the save file is compressed.
Gordfact47 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:35 pm
Will the current version of Factorio support the next Switches 12gb of system ram or will it need a patch to work on that system since I heard it will be backwards compatible with the current switch software.
It should be fine. Ram doesn't require anything special to support differing amounts. If it did, development for PCs would be a lot more complex.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Gordfact47
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gordfact47 »

So that means Factorio in its current form will support the next switches extra ram so we could do PC like megabases on it. That would be amazing.

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:51 pm
Gordfact47 wrote:
It should be fine. Ram doesn't require anything special to support differing amounts. If it did, development for PCs would be a lot more complex.
Note that the Switch is a 32bit system, having more than 4GiB RAM is almost pointless. If the successor is supposed to have 12GiB, that'll imply an architecture change. Wikipedia suggests it'll be an (64bit) ARM Cortex-A78. Due to this architecture change, we can look at the devs stance on other architecture support requests, mainly for 64bit ARM on Linux: Porting factorio is probably easy, the question is whether Wube is willing to spend the time and effort necessary for maintaining and supporting it.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Nidan wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:04 am
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:51 pm
Gordfact47 wrote:
Note that the Switch is a 32bit system, having more than 4GiB RAM is almost pointless. If the successor is supposed to have 12GiB, that'll imply an architecture change. Wikipedia suggests it'll be an (64bit) ARM Cortex-A78. Due to this architecture change, we can look at the devs stance on other architecture support requests, mainly for 64bit ARM on Linux: Porting factorio is probably easy, the question is whether Wube is willing to spend the time and effort necessary for maintaining and supporting it.
That is a good point, however, while they may be less willing to support "other" versions of the game, I think the chances are good that which ever of them were involved in the switch build will want to support it to the new switch, too.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Nidan wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:04 am
Note that the Switch is a 32bit system, having more than 4GiB RAM is almost pointless.
The Nintendo switch is 64bit, some older games that run on it are 32bit.

Gordfact47
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gordfact47 »

When the new switch comes out if it has enough ram that would also help in bringing mods to the switch version.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Gordfact47 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:22 pm
When the new switch comes out if it has enough ram that would also help in bringing mods to the switch version.
Memory is not the obstacle for most mods, Nintendo is. If they did not budge for skyrim I doubt they will for factorio.

vadcx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by vadcx »

Gordfact47 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:21 am
I cannot save the game to make any further progress unless there is a way fo make more use out of the 4gb of ram which the switch has. Maybe If switch had 8gb of ram then you could make larger maps on the switch version.
I wonder if removing foliage from the map itself would help. The other known method is to delete unexplored generated chunks, but I don't know if you would be able to save the map one more time after these procedures.

Gordfact47
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gordfact47 »

You mean cutting down all the trees ?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Gordfact47 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:14 am
You mean cutting down all the trees ?
There's a console command for removing all decoratives (the stuff that often gets left behind and sticks up through your concrete). Should be in the wiki somewhere, I think (under console commands).

Return to “Technical Help”