Issue with savegame frequency and exiting the game.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
BrickVoidFCT
Inserter
Inserter

Issue with savegame frequency and exiting the game.

Post by BrickVoidFCT »

Whenever I exit the game, if I have not exited within two seconds of automatically saving a backup of the game, it tells me the game is not saved and asks me if I want to quit or go back to the game. This is rather annoying, as I have to wait another two minutes to try and catch the next automatic save.

Why can't I have it save and exit the game at the press of a menu option? This is very simple to implement and would allow me to exit whenever I please without having to wait for the automatic save to save the game.

In any case, this bugs me more than the fact that I normally wouldn't care about two minutes worth of game simulation time. But apparently Factorio has to care about every second of it! I'm only playing single-player, why can't it be more user-friendly about game saves?

Naturally I would expect it is capable of following it's savegame numbering sequence, but there's a minor issue there with that, too. Why does it have to reuse the same three numbers over and over again? Can it not simply use an incremental date and time stamped savegame sequence, with optional user created name added?

This would allow a lot more control of how I would use the game, if I could revert back to an earlier version of a save simply by reloading it at an earlier point, that would be handy for exploring different paths to take when developing a base, especially if I could designate them by simply naming them in obvious ways.

I feel as if the saving of games is long due for an overhaul to make it a lot better than it currently is. I posted this as a technical issue with gameplay as I really would like that two minutes of time Factorio repeatedly makes me waste back! ;) Building a time machine currently isn't feasible! ;)

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Issue with savegame frequency and exiting the game.

Post by prg »

So click the "Save game" button to save the game manually whenever you want to quit? It's two rows above the "Quit game" button.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

BrickVoidFCT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BrickVoidFCT »

prg wrote:So click the "Save game" button to save the game manually whenever you want to quit? It's two rows above the "Quit game" button.
I don't have an issue with that being there, the issue is with the automatic save feature itself. I also don't know which save the manual "Save game" is going to overwrite as there's absolutely no indication of which iteration of the save file it's going to overwrite.

There's also no history of savegames, if you get so far into a game you can only save a few minutes into the past from that point. This is also about changes to saving of games that have long been overdue.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

BrickVoidFCT wrote:
prg wrote:So click the "Save game" button to save the game manually whenever you want to quit? It's two rows above the "Quit game" button.
I don't have an issue with that being there, the issue is with the automatic save feature itself. I also don't know which save the manual "Save game" is going to overwrite as there's absolutely no indication of which iteration of the save file it's going to overwrite.

There's also no history of savegames, if you get so far into a game you can only save a few minutes into the past from that point. This is also about changes to saving of games that have long been overdue.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
I don't understand the part with not knowing what manual save overwrites and saving only few minutes into the past.
You can save into files with any name and as often as you'd like and keep history from start of the map. You just need to use the save and choose any name you want for your save files.

Once you click save there is a small Save as field in the dialog above the file list. Thats where you can enter the name of new save file.

BrickVoidFCT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BrickVoidFCT »

orzelek wrote:
BrickVoidFCT wrote:

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
I don't understand the part with not knowing what manual save overwrites and saving only few minutes into the past.
You can save into files with any name and as often as you'd like and keep history from start of the map. You just need to use the save and choose any name you want for your save files.

Once you click save there is a small Save as field in the dialog above the file list. Thats where you can enter the name of new save file.
I've never used the manual save feature so don't know at all what it does. Thank you for the explanation, but it still doesn't address which save file the game is at because in order to discover the most recent file you have to load the game and select a map to play which shows you which save Factorio is at.

I still reckon Factorio Devs could revamp the automatic save and saving of games to make them more user friendly.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Return to “Technical Help”