Where do the Autosaves go?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
kkoniar25
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Where do the Autosaves go?

Post by kkoniar25 »

Yesterday I was hosting a server for a friend and I. I was under the assumption that the auto-save would just automatically write over the previous save file. I closed the server to go get some supper. After logging back in and firing the server back up I had lost about 7 hours worth of work. Are the auto-saves going somewhere else then the regular save directory? I'm just confused whats the point of an auto-save feature if it doesn't work and the only way I know the game is saved is if I do a hard save via main menu?

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Where do the Autosaves go?

Post by Thomasnotused »

Autosaves should be placed in the same directory as the regular saves. Are you sure that autosave is actually turned on?
I have no idea what I'm doing.

kkoniar25
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kkoniar25 »

Yeah It was definitely on intervals of 5 minute saves. Only thing in my save file is a hard save that I did the previous night I guess I just bite the bullet and start over from about 8 hours ago.

Just was asking in case I missed something but I'm pretty sure its just gone.

Thanks

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Autosaves go into the same folder, but they have different names like _autosave1.zip, _autosave2.zip, ...

If you're running a server and load a save by filename it will load the original save, not one of the autosaves it made afterwards. You can use --start-server-load-latest instead of --start-server save.zip to have Factorio always load the most recent save.

This is also important in singleplayer: when you exit a map you played for 3 hours and didn't manually save it, then load a different map and play until all autosaves (default: 3) are overwritten then the changes you made on the first map in that 3 hours are gone.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Return to “Technical Help”