Your Zip file does not work

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Your Zip file does not work

Post by Hogweed »

Whats the point of having a downloadable zip file with no installer in it? How am i supposed to install the game from that? :?: :?

Nevermind - I found it buried in the 64x folder... why isnt it in the main folder?

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Your Zip file does not work

Post by HanziQ »

If you want an installer, download the installer package, not the zip package.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

I believe that the OP is referring to the changing convention of placing executable files under a "bin" folder instead of the top-level installation directory that has been common practice in Windows for as long as I can remember. Does knows why the convention has been changing, as I personally find it extremely frustrating and having a reason for it would be cool as opposed to "coz the compiler puts it there".

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

It's a habit coming from the Unix/Linux world, and I'm OK with it : it makes things cleaner, and if it's not the most common thing in windows world, it's not unique.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Koub wrote:it makes things cleaner
hmmm...
+bin
+x64
-factorio.exe
-factorio.pub
+config
-config.ini
seems to me that "cleaner" is not really the case when the folder count is the same as the file count.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the "bin" folder convention on Unix/Linux is really just for the /bin, /usr/bin etc folders with supporting files being stored under /lib & similar. 3rd party applications (usually stored under /opt IIRC) can use whatever structure they find is convenient.

Edit: A quick google search shows that the /opt/package/bin, /opt/package/lib etc structure is recommended for *nix.

Return to “Technical Help”