File path issue with scenario pack updates

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Chaz Gansir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

File path issue with scenario pack updates

Post by Chaz Gansir »

Every time the game tries to update my scenario pack, I get a crash with the following error:

Of note is that for some reason it has backslashes mixed in with forward slashes (C:/Program Files\Factorio\data/ etc), which is probably why it can't find the file it's looking for. Is there a quick way for me to fix this? I'm asking because even though I'm at the level that can access scenario packs, I can't seem to find and manually install the latest version of the scenario pack.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: File path issue with scenario pack updates

Post by cube »

Slashes and backslashes on windows should be interchangeable.

Now let me guess: You installed it manually and since then no update worked? Check if the scenario pack really is in the "C:\Program Files\Factorio\data\" directory that Factorio expects, if it is not, then either move it there, or delete the old version and it will get downloaded again.

If this is not the case, then please post a Log file.

Chaz Gansir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chaz Gansir »

Ahh, alright, that clears it up. The scenario-pack directory is not where it should be, in fact I can't figure out where it is. I'd deleted and fresh-reinstalled the game, but I'll try doing that again to see if it fixes the issue.

To explain, I downloaded and used the installer exe file, and since then no updates have worked, yeah.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

Did you run as administrator, or did factorio ask for administrator rights? In recent versions of windows, you need that to write to the program files folders.
Ignore this

Chaz Gansir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chaz Gansir »

Aha, that's fixed it. I keep forgetting that running a program as the admin often solves most problems I have when playing a game, haha! Thanks for your help, folks!

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Well, factorio should work without problems even on non-admin accounts. Switching to admin now helped because factorio generated a new profile for admin account that doesn't have scenario pack installed.

If you look into a log file, near a beginning there are paths that are searched, you are interested in the read data path and write data path (when run as a regular user). Scenario pack should be in the read data path, but for you it was in the write data path/mods, so you can delete it there.

Return to “Technical Help”