How much damage does the train do?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
krausr79
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How much damage does the train do?

Post by krausr79 »

I'm mostly interested in knowing how much to the player. Is it physical damage? I've heard that armor helps? Is it based purely on train speed, or is there a mass part to it? Does it push you out of the way or is there a chance of a double hit? In general, how much sheilding is needed to be safe?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: How much damage does the train do?

Post by Klonan »

the ipmpact damage (i believe) is a function of speed and inertia, so a small fast train will do less damage than a huge slow one. As for exact figures? I have no idea.

The damage type is Impact, not physical, so armour won't really help, but power armour shields are really helpful for surviving renegade locomotives :)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Klonan wrote:the ipmpact damage (i believe) is a function of speed and inertia, so a small fast train will do less damage than a huge slow one. As for exact figures? I have no idea.
If the game goes by real-world physics, and scales the damage with the kinetic energy, then the damage will be linear with the mass (or "weight", in layman's parlance) of the Train, but will quadruple each time the speed is doubled.
Klonan wrote:The damage type is Impact, not physical, so armour won't really help, but power armour shields are really helpful for surviving renegade locomotives :)
I didn't know that. So, basically, even if you're the stay-at-home guy in a coop MP game, you'd still want to put at least the cheapest shield into your Modular Armor, just to give yourself a chance to survive encounters with Trains?

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

I know from experience that 4 Mk2 shields are enough to survive the encounter. It might be doable with less, but I don't have any empirical reports on that.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Rage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rage »

Boogieman14 wrote:I know from experience that 4 Mk2 shields are enough to survive the encounter. It might be doable with less, but I don't have any empirical reports on that.
Not with the trains I've built, I've had times where I've bailed from a big train and high speed with I think at least 10 Mk2 shields and still died.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Ok, fair point, I should qualify that with the kind of trains I run :) I tend to use one loc with two or three wagons.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Wouldn't there be some point where you just bounce off the train and it keeps going?

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

From what I've seen, if you survive the impact, the train will have stopped, if briefly.

Return to “General discussion”