Mining bases

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Subzero22
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Mining bases

Post by Subzero22 »

When your mining base runs out of resources what do you do with it?

Do you just break it down or do you convert it into something else? I've been thinking since The defenses are already up turn them into a remote power supply with solar panels to feed my base and the next mining base with power.

Skellitor301
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Mining bases

Post by Skellitor301 »

One thing I would do, if I got a railway going through there, is make a remote factory. Basically break down the miners and set up assemblers and robo-ports, set up the trains to carry supplies to and from the remote base. This mostly happens when I have the defenses already set up and I dont want to break down the railway

Subzero22
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Subzero22 »

ya I do have a railway going threw there. That's a good idea but my train doesn't always empty on raw resources as I got 2 of them going while one fills up the other is empty and even with steel chests as a buffer they hardly empty. I also already got so many furnaces that I'm over producing on plates.

Edit: What I just said makes me think. Make one of my mining base into a smeltry to make all the ingots and store spare ore.

roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by roothorick »

I leave the rails and train stop there, so I can hop in a train and make it auto path to it, but I usually tear down everything else. I'm experimenting with preemptive defense, using radars to detect biter settlements on the edges of my pollution cloud as they're happening so I can intervene. So far it's working rather well, so I haven't bothered with traditional defenses. My remote mines are naked, with only a number of radars embedded in the surrounding jungle.

Really REALLY late game, I may convert one into a train station, where smaller trains from distant-from-home but close-to-each-other outposts unload onto a bigger train for the long trek home. I haven't actually gotten that far in a save yet; I have a nasty habit of giving up and starting over if I notice too many things I did "wrong".

Return to “General discussion”