So I wanted this game on steam so bad... Now I feel sick.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

So I wanted this game on steam so bad... Now I feel sick.

Post by Kane »

If you did not hear about it. Today Valve added paid mods: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/brow ... iditems#[1]
Worst part the user only gets 25% and valve gets 75%.
This is something clearly been in the works with Valve and Bethesda.

This makes me so sick everything PC Gaming stands for is right now being butchered to hell. This is disgusting.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: So I wanted this game on steam so bad... Now I feel sick.

Post by DaveMcW »

Kane wrote:Worst part the user only gets 25% and valve gets 75%.
Steam allows each game to set a different rate. I'm sure Bethesda is getting a large cut of that 75%.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

DaveMcW wrote:
Kane wrote:Worst part the user only gets 25% and valve gets 75%.
Steam allows each game to set a different rate. I'm sure Bethesda is getting a large cut of that 75%.
Trust me if you are considering even talking about percentages, then you have no clue how special PC Gaming is and how this is a big stab to the back of it.

But hey friend our biggest sellout is looking for sales here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =429226887

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Damn, "behtesda providing great modding support"? MOre like bethesda can't get its shit together since fo3 and modders have to correct and replace and polish the shit bethesda is too lazy to do for free. And now, we will get an era of paid mods? SHit, DLC and preorder I can understand in some way, I also can understand supporting a mod creator via donations, but paid mods? Fuck, they are mutilating the corpse of pc gaming man.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I personally see nothing wrong with having the possibility of paid mods. The money could motivate some the modders to make very special products. As long as the mods can be also for free as before.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

kovarex wrote:I personally see nothing wrong with having the possibility of paid mods. The money could motivate some the modders to make very special products. As long as the mods can be also for free as before.
What I find wrong is the steam getting 75%.

I guess I already told that we are not planning to use the steamworks but we prefer to make our own mod database.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

kovarex wrote:
kovarex wrote:I personally see nothing wrong with having the possibility of paid mods. The money could motivate some the modders to make very special products. As long as the mods can be also for free as before.
What I find wrong is the steam getting 75%.

I guess I already told that we are not planning to use the steamworks but we prefer to make our own mod database.
That is great news. Really, thx for the info.

Paid mods is ok - the fun thing though, that the "big players" like Tale Of Two Wastelands, PANZER, MMM, PN, for fallout all are successfully living of donations and provide more and more content with years, that The Script extenders which most of the mods on the workshop use are free and their creators do not get a penny from it. This new system is not encouraging good content, it's killing the community. It's the same which happened to minecraft modding - the whole patreon, curse hosting etc did not make the content creators create content, but rather reorient on the specific target group of 12yr olds, who are willing to pay. I am afraid that the same thiong will happen with the big modding community - if they introduced it in skyrim, the propably will introduce it in other games.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Paid mods are dead! Maybe they'll introduce a donation based system in the future.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWo ... 5253244218

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I'm OK with the idea of a "Donate" possibility if most of the donation goes to the mod developper, and Steam only keeps a small share to keep the service running and not lose money on it.
But I'm convinced the way it had been set up was bound to fail, as it is so easy to steal the work of a modder and publish like one's own, and get the credits for it.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Alekthefirst
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alekthefirst »

Zeblote wrote:Paid mods are dead! Maybe they'll introduce a donation based system in the future.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWo ... 5253244218
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Factorio is a game about automating everything. One day, i hope i can automate shitty signatures just like this one.

Arucard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Arucard »

Wow, you guys scared me for a minute, I originally got into PC gaming because of Oblivion and videos of the crazy mods for it. This, of course, in turn got me interested in modding and introduced me to 3D modelling, texturing, light coding, and really just seeing the games I played from a whole new perspective. One of the most amazing things to me was how I could download basically a full game worth of content to extend my experience without obligating myself to any payment. The fact those mods were made by the community out of love for a game, or desire to see something they wanted in it, and that they were willing to share it with like-minded players was always what I found great about modding.

So I'm happy to see this fiasco came and went without my knowledge, sometimes they just go too far, but we have to make sure they know where the line is. I love the workshop and huge focus on player-created content these days, and a donate button is worlds better than required payment. It even feels better to know you are paying because you want to, because you appreciate and recognize the work someone put into it, not because of a cool trailer or screenshots.

GaliMatias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GaliMatias »

All they actually said was that they won't add paid mods for titles that are several years old and well established.
We will surely see paid modding with newly released titles soon enough though...

Two notable quotes:
"We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop"
"but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here"

So. Paid mods is something that we will see in the foreseeable future (IMO).

Arucard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Arucard »

Jeeze, that seems a little ridiculous, couldn't you download the mods from TESNexus or Planet Elder Scrolls and install them manually? I only have Morrowind on Steam and everything except the script extender works, or I couldn't figure how to make it work since it needs it's own launcher to run first. Anyway, I do hope reason trumps greed, I always liked Steam but they might be getting too big for their britches.

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

I don't think paid mods are bad in general. But of course the way they did it, it had a lot of problems (that mostly could have been solved somehow).
This entire issue has been largely discussed already, there's probably barely need to repeat it all and go on about it if you ask me. But as most people generaly only tend to hate about it: Maybe listen to this talk about the topic (Featuring the owner of the Nexus).
Arucard wrote:Jeeze, that seems a little ridiculous, couldn't you download the mods from TESNexus or Planet Elder Scrolls and install them manually?
It's not like you were forced to sell the mods, you could still put them up on the workshop for free.
Also paid content created by the community is already a thing in some Valve games.

general_lex
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Paid Mod on Steam - Skyrim is removing it...

Post by general_lex »

Paid Mod on Steam - Skyrim is removing it...
will Factorio do same at some point ? or still go on.
( This is just a discussion about what i have read on steam and factorio update.)

Hi, i have read each friday update since i started factorio. I remember the one about a comment that maybe Mods could become paid mods on steam.
Its nice and i understand that point of view but just came accross this on steam in the workshop section. Factorio is not going to be the first if it ever did, but the Devs from Skyrim are reconsidering and well paying back all people that ever paid for a mod on there game. So here the comment from Steam dirrectly
and the link to it. Leave your comment if you like.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/

They had it On for a while now they are saying no to it and why (+refund everyone)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removing Payment Feature From Skyrim Workshop

We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. We talked to the team at Bethesda and they agree.

We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing. We've been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, and in the past, they've been received well. It's obvious now that this case is different.

To help you understand why we thought this was a good idea, our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities. We thought this would result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid. We wanted more great mods becoming great products, like Dota, Counter-strike, DayZ, and Killing Floor, and we wanted that to happen organically for any mod maker who wanted to take a shot at it.

But we underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop. We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here.

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Merged topics, because obviously same topic.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “General discussion”