Building a portable pc to play Factorio input needed.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
666JTK666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Building a portable pc to play Factorio input needed.

Post by 666JTK666 »

Hello, I am going to rather slowly build a portable computer system for the purpose of playing factorio and perhaps various emulators.
It will be used in a vehicle powered either via a battery pack or by the cigarette lighter port.
power supply will be an opus vehicle atx ps either 250 or the 360 watt I haven't decided yet.
It will be a mini Itx build. and I am debating on what cpu I should get. the new skylake parts tho expensive have the latest intel hd graphics built in.
the question is weather or not that video chip-set is enough to play factorio since factorio is 2d I am hoping it would be.
another question is will an I3 be good enough or would an I5 be a better bet. (this computer will only be running factorio no 3d games)
ram will be 4gig I don't believe I need more, however ram right now is cheap so would be easy to upgrade.
for storage a small ssd drive will be used to conserve power, if under testing I have plenty of head room there a larger media storage dive will be added to the system.
for the screen I will be useing a GeChic 1303H a 13inch portable monitor.
the keyboard and mouse will be bluetooth.
There are some portable mini atx cases that might work but I probably will end up hacking up a pelican briefcase or tote to stick all this stuff into.
Why not a laptop you say ? because they cost far far more then this set up would and there all dead end products not upgrade able/repairable at all.
if you are running factorio on low end cpu's and with built in graphics I would dearly like to hear from you about your experience with factorio.
All opinion's suggestions will be welcome and considered, when I pull the trigger on this project I can't afford to waste money on mistakes.
thank you .

666JTK666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Building a portable pc to play Factorio input needed.

Post by 666JTK666 »

perhaps I spoke to hasty regarding laptops, I was thinking of typical gaming laptops that run 800 to way over 2k.
more searching I found this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834298347
at only 429 $ seems like a good fit. if only there was some way to determine just how well factorio would run on such a system.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

You need a literal potato for factorio. 4gb ram, any recent i3, that's it. Literally any laptop will do.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Factorio is mainly limited by video RAM size (especially with mods, bare minimum for vanilla is 512MB), and then much later CPU speed and maybe RAM size. If you don't plan to run huge saves, then almost any half recent PC or laptop is good enough.

By the way, Alekthefirst started collecting benchmark data from running Factorio on various machines here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=18128 .

Return to “General discussion”