THAT MOD Should be in the base game…

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

THAT MOD Should be in the base game…

Post by TheSAguy »

So, with the release of 0.13 Landfill is now part of the vanilla game and it’s great!
(This has probably happened before, not saying it's the first time)

It’s one of those mods that I was always thinking “THAT MOD Should be in the base game…
That being said, I was thinking that it would be great if we could have a post where we could vote on other mods that should be part of the vanilla game.

Not all mods would qualify, since mods like Bob’s, though great and will probably get a ton of votes, is not an ideal candidate for inclusion. So, to get around issues like this, I propose that after people submit their candidates, the Devs/Moderators maybe select 10 mods that we can vote on.

Each quarter or major update, the top voted mod(s) will be included in the base game 8-)

Thoughts?

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: THAT MOD Should be in the base game…

Post by 5thHorseman »

I don't know about the ideas for making it "official" and whatnot, but as far as my personal vote goes, I think a strong case could be made for AutoTrash, or something like it. I personally would love the trash slots to work like the request slots, or a way to use request slots to set the exact number of something you want so the bots will both take and retrieve based on the numbers in these slots. And you can put 0 in them so they work exactly like AutoTrash.

And then give you more of them, so you have the total number of Logistic + Trash slots to work with.
Last edited by 5thHorseman on Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Well, I would point out that my Minable Rock mod got added, which was pretty awesome.

I would suggest only pointing at mods that add/change one minor thing, which is highly useful.

I might suggest my submod Prefusion, as it makes solar panel equipment actually useful, if still weaker than Fusion.

Bergius Process or any of the equivilants, so you can use Coal to make Oil.
Vehicle Snap Since Vehicle controls suck. It would be better if it just followed the same controls as the player instead, (Turn/move in indicated direction)but...
Item Count so you can see how many items of a type you have if you have many stacks, without checking.
Laser Beam Turret because Lasers are awesome.

I could go on, but those are some good ones.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Well, I would point out that my Minable Rock mod got added, which was pretty awesome.

Minable Rocks!! Totally forgot about it. Yes that is again one of those mods that should be in the base game, and now is!
Ranakastrasz wrote:change one minor thing, which is highly useful.
Agree. It might not be a whole mod, but if someone has a feature in a mod that is good.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Evo Gui, as well as a few mods that add stuff to it.
Gives time, light level, days since landing, pollution. etc. etc. etc
All kinda of stuff that people really want.

Some easy way to extend Day and Night cycles. Not Gloom is only currently functional version.
Rescaled Evolution Factor Since it takes the boring current evolution factor and makes it somewhat interactive. It goes up AND down, based on three factors. Combat, Pollution, and Time. After not fighting for a while, the factor decays a bit, and if you cut down pollution, it also decays.
Better Fluid Colors got partially implemented, but only for heavy oil so far (as far as I know anyhow)
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

scootzter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by scootzter »

I would like it if a laser rifle type weapon from high tech laser weaponry was added, since there are weapon variants of the other turrets. Also, on the same subject a rocket turret wouldn't be bad either :P.

Also, not from any specific mod (can't remember where I've seen this) but different types of trains (coal train, diesel train that runs on refined oil, diesel if we create new fuels in the vanilla game, and electric trains, maybe even bullet trains for super fast travel).

TerraFirma
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TerraFirma »

To devs:
Please, PLEASE, do not make base-game content dependent on votes. Artistic integrity (sound design philosophy) is not a popularity contest. That sort of approach leads towards a profusion of OMGCOOL stuff being implemented which do not necessarily work together as a cohesive whole, and which stand ultimately to undermine the author's creative vision.

I could make cases why mod X is great and why mod Y is not, but the appropriate place for mod critiques are on their threads in particular. Some mods which are quite popular do not represent improvements in playability.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Devs can take inspiration on what people say and vote for, because no matter how briliant people compose an 15-ish dev team, there are statistically excellent ideas that may spawn in a 500k-isk playerbase. But Wube has the cleverness not to exclusively follow the votes, but always keep their baby in mind when adding something. And most of the changes I've seen did make some sense.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

SomeDuder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SomeDuder »

Problem is, what sounds like a logical thing to include to one person, will inevitably clash with the opinion of the second.

For example, I'd love to see RSO included (no, not the current vanilla mess), but another would rather have Train+. I NEED Flarestacks, someone else prefers another, or the vanilla exploit of using steam engines.

Then there's the mods that just clash with the basegame, like some that got mentioned above, like bullet trains. Ugh... just UGH. Doesn't fit Factorio's theme, nor does it fit the game's (already stretched, I admit) logic - why build an entire track and locomotive to move just 1 person around? :geek:

I'd rather have the developers take a look at their own game and come to their own conclusions as to what would be a good addition, and trust that they don't include such insanity as Bob's collection or a total conversion to a My Little Pony theme

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Some mods should just be mods. There is a place for mods.

I have only a few requests for vanilla integration:
Blueprint Flipper, Blueprint Flipper, Blueprint Flipper, and of course, Blueprint Flipper. I'm sure the functionality can be easily integrated into the new editable blueprints and it is a must have for the base game.

Bizz Keryear
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bizz Keryear »

Waitex ... I know they are working on it ... but currently his HD looks so much nicer than vanilla.

Also why mineable rocks ... or is before you know that that is in 0.13?

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Btw if you want improved graphics you can edit config/config.ini and set:

Code: Select all

multisampling-level=1
Or higher than 1, on my system I can use 2 but any higher and it slows down the game.

The effect is different than using the Waitex mod, but it certainly makes it look higher resolution and has no load time penalty.

scootzter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by scootzter »

SomeDuder wrote:Problem is, what sounds like a logical thing to include to one person, will inevitably clash with the opinion of the second.

For example, I'd love to see RSO included (no, not the current vanilla mess), but another would rather have Train+. I NEED Flarestacks, someone else prefers another, or the vanilla exploit of using steam engines.

Then there's the mods that just clash with the basegame, like some that got mentioned above, like bullet trains. Ugh... just UGH. Doesn't fit Factorio's theme, nor does it fit the game's (already stretched, I admit) logic - why build an entire track and locomotive to move just 1 person around? :geek:

I'd rather have the developers take a look at their own game and come to their own conclusions as to what would be a good addition, and trust that they don't include such insanity as Bob's collection or a total conversion to a My Little Pony theme
For the bullet train I was thinking more for endgame colonies if that's the direction the devs are going, but not sure if they are. As for why adding mods to the game I 100% agree, I just want to have laser rifles added because it makes sense (weapon for each type of turret except laser) and of course it will have to be a balance, I'm just trying to help give ideas of some stuff mods did that would add to vanilla, not turn it into modded. The multiple types of trains correspond to different tech levels, first a coal train, then a diesel/electric train and an endgame train, but who knows what the end game content will actually be! I'm excited to see what the devs come up with!

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Bizz Keryear wrote:Waitex ... I know they are working on it ... but currently his HD looks so much nicer than vanilla.

Also why mineable rocks ... or is before you know that that is in 0.13?
I was just pointing out that that mod WAS added(slower to mine, 20 instead of 25 stone), along with part of landfill (4x price, no water creation) Fat controller (I think) and smart circuits(or whatever it was called)
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

taiiat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by taiiat »

voting makes sense, not as a final say on what to do, but to see opinions.
if............. voting also requires an explanation of why someone votes that way. because without an explanation it means basically nothing.

out of the Mods i've been using recently, these seem like 'first party' type of things, that just belong as a part of the game, IMO.
+

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Fat Controller is already in the game, I think. You can already change train schedules from anywhere.

Wallcraft, diesel and swarm, I am unsure about. The rest, yea, I would like those in the base game, if modified somewhat.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Autofill
Nixie-Tubes
Smart Trains (parts)
AutoTrash
TrainTracker
The Fat Controller (cause not all features in 0.13)
Rail-Layer
Filtered Deconstruction Planner
Upgrade Planner
BlueprintFlipper
BlueprintString
AutoCollect
EvoGui (or similar)
ScreenShootUtility (SSU)
wireless signals
test mode
Satellite Uplink Station (or similar)
Ion Cannon
and Original Music :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Mattyrogue
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mattyrogue »

Honestly... To list but a few that I feel that were design oversights with the current state of the game;

Fully Automated Rail Layer (aka FARL) in wake of the recent Train Revamp.
An actual 'Flame Tank'.
A solution to the rather... Quirky, ground vehicle controls.
And a way to literally one-up the Biters at their own game; Robot Army

Return to “General discussion”