massive biter base clearing

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
thetrav
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

massive biter base clearing

Post by thetrav »

So I've got a nut that's so far proved too difficult for me to crack.

It's a spawner base of about 10 or so hives. No worms, but the rate of spawning just overwhelms everything I've thrown at it.

Has anyone had success clearing this sort of base and can I ask you to post a video of you doing it?

So far I've tried a few different stats. Turret creeps, defender caps, distractor caps, flamers, shotguns, just not sure what to go to next

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: massive biter base clearing

Post by Garm »

Destroyer caps + shotgun + Piercing shells + as much damage researched for both.

10+ destroyers will rip through that base with relative ease

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

My preferred strategy so far - take lots of distractor capsules with you (~50 should do the job, but I like to have 100+ on me, just in case).
Get close to the base, but not too close to attract the biters' attention. When the maximum range of your capsules is about half the distance between you and the first biters is about right.
Start firing off distractors and go around the base in a circle, not getting closer at first. This is used to lure the biters to attack the distractors. Once the biters home on the distractors they will attack them until they die, so you should be clear to start getting closer and dispatch some distractors right on top of the spawners and/or worms.
Once all of the spawners have been taken care of like this it should be easy to mop up the remaining biters, or just throw some more distractors for good measure.

One word of advice - be generous with the distractors. I try to shoot them as fast as I can until I'm sure I have at least 2 on top of every spawner (not counting the ones used first to distract all biters)

Hope this helps.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

Really annoying and slow Hit & Run strategy.

Equipment needed:
  • (Combat) shotgun with piercing ammo.
  • Power armor mk2
  • 3 exoskeletons so you can outrun the enemies
  • Some shields
  • two fusion generators
  • max 1 personal laser so you don't run out of energy and die while kiting
What do:
  1. Build a small mini base nearby (way out of range) with loads of laser turrets (optional)
  2. LEEROY JENKINS
  3. Run around enemy base in circles, trying to get at least one spawner down
  4. When it seems useless to continue, retreat away from enemy base with the 50 big biters following you
  5. If you made mini-base, run in circles around your mini-base while big biters slowly die. Otherwise shotgun them down one at a time while kiting
  6. Going through forests slows down enemies too, if you need some breathing room. Assuming you don't get stuck yourself.
  7. Repeat until all spawners are dead

solardarity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by solardarity »

Early game, I turtled with walls and laser turrets until I researched a lot in combat robotics and power armor.

I use distractor caps, slowdown caps and destroyer caps as well as a fairly kitted out suit of power armor.

I'd throw out a few destroyers, approach a biter base, start kiting the biters around using the exoskeleton speed boost on my power armor + slowdown caps, I'd then throw distractor caps directly on top of the spawners.. Depending on how much combat robotics damage you have researched, one distractor cap can easily take out a spawner or two depending on placement.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

muzzy wrote:Really annoying and slow Hit & Run strategy.
Got nothing else to do so I made a video... which is boring as hell because I wasn't quite comfortable shotgunning such a large group of biters so most of the video is just me running around in circles for a few minutes :D

It was fairly easy because the place started out with mostly small biters, it'll be a bit slower if the base is already full of big ones.

http://youtu.be/3AZ3hlouR-g

Maybe 3 exos isn't enough, perhaps I should try 5 of them. If I could kite while shooting it'd be perfect :)

dj_lefull
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dj_lefull »

I made a Video Similar to that, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSwabTJYFAM
Starting a Factorio Series called "My Experiences Shared", where share what i've learned about the game, Requests are open.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 1YtCf0DXmh

thetrav
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by thetrav »

Oh wow,

So i hadn't researched penetrating shotgun shells yet and was trying to get by on rockets and flame throwers.

The damage output on an upgraded combat shotgun basically relegates all other weapons to the scrap heap so far as I am concerned.

Those bugs didn't stand a chance

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

In my video I hadn't researched maximum shotgun speed. It's significantly easier with the max shooting speed...

Redlemon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redlemon »

I hate to get my hand dirty and i think that's the best way ;)

why bother with the shotgun ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c75170u4xrcm2 ... -31-05.mp4

murillokb
Inserter
Inserter

Post by murillokb »

inb4: Destruction drones are broken :D

if you get to the point of crafting destruction drones, bitter bases stop being a threat.

Also combat shotgun + piercing shells are waaay more powerful than everything else and can destroy spawners in 3~4 shots (except those devil drones)

yeah, combat needs a fine tuning (coming on version 0.12)

elkar
Inserter
Inserter

Post by elkar »

As its been said - destroyer capsules with power armor with lots shields can kill anything. To avoid worms you add poison capsules to the mix.

Return to “General discussion”