two belts on one tile width

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

two belts on one tile width

Post by Sander Buruma »

I was doing some other things and then it occurred to me that two belts might be able to go under each other without being apart by using different underground belt types... so here is how you can put two belts on only 1 tile width:

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: two belts on one tile width

Post by Turtle »

Nice! Now I'll have to look for an excuse to try to use this somewhere! :D

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Why settle for two belts?
underground_belts.jpg
underground_belts.jpg (56.9 KiB) Viewed 12179 times

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

All of you should get the scenario pack with it's tight-spot challenge.
You'd like/love it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Estimated throughput: for the first about 2900-3100 items/min, for the second 3500-3800 items/min.

That is really much. But considering the afford, I would say, that it is only useable in very small parts of the factory. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Yeah, the throughput is humongous, but the cost is huge as well. One thing to note is that unlike standard express belt, this requires no lubricant, so an automated assembly line for building these needs just lots and lots of iron.

Pipebomb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pipebomb »

Oh cool, I thought this didn't work because I tried using the same type of belt. Definitely would help in a few sections of my factory.

Robbedem
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Robbedem »

To me this sort of looks like cheating, so I won't use it. I even make sure that I don't have crossing underground belts.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Then you don't even have to cross pipes. Much luck in finding working layouts. :) for me this is just a side effect of a needed game mechanics. The game is 2D, but the reality is 3D and that has many reasons and one is, that you can cross pipes or whatever, cause they cross in different depth.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Raghnarok
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Raghnarok »

Robbedem wrote:To me this sort of looks like cheating, so I won't use it. I even make sure that I don't have crossing underground belts.
Can't agree more.
If we can't manage multiple level with the same belt, why should we be able to do it with different belts?

Robbedem
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Robbedem »

ssilk wrote:Then you don't even have to cross pipes. Much luck in finding working layouts. :) for me this is just a side effect of a needed game mechanics. The game is 2D, but the reality is 3D and that has many reasons and one is, that you can cross pipes or whatever, cause they cross in different depth.
I do cross pipes, because that's not unrealistic. It's different for belts however, since you can't have them going up/down vertically like pipes can.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

Robbedem wrote:
ssilk wrote:Then you don't even have to cross pipes. Much luck in finding working layouts. :) for me this is just a side effect of a needed game mechanics. The game is 2D, but the reality is 3D and that has many reasons and one is, that you can cross pipes or whatever, cause they cross in different depth.
I do cross pipes, because that's not unrealistic. It's different for belts however, since you can't have them going up/down vertically like pipes can.
Go to any airport and look at their conveyor systems. They go up down under over all over the place. Conveyors being stacked 3 / 4 / 5 etc. deep is not unrealistic at all.

Raghnarok
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Raghnarok »

Marconos wrote:Go to any airport and look at their conveyor systems. They go up down under over all over the place. Conveyors being stacked 3 / 4 / 5 etc. deep is not unrealistic at all.
That's not about being unrealistic, just you can't do it right now in Factorio, so this is a small "exploit".
If they add an option to create some deeper or higher belt and pipe, that will be fine, but right now there is no reason that this should work, otherwise you could stack multiples same underground belts.

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

ssilk wrote:Then you don't even have to cross pipes. Much luck in finding working layouts. :)
I suppose, it is totally possible, isn't it?
Like we sure can cross underground and aboveground pipes, can't we?

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Evan_ »

Hahaha, that's so cool. Thanks for bumping the thread. :D

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

Raghnarok wrote:
Robbedem wrote:To me this sort of looks like cheating, so I won't use it. I even make sure that I don't have crossing underground belts.
Can't agree more.
If we can't manage multiple level with the same belt, why should we be able to do it with different belts?
This is why it feels weird, to me. I understand it's really more about a game limitation (can't designate yellow inlets to match only with certain outlets) than a physical implausibility, but it just feels weird.

Cylindric
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cylindric »

Raghnarok wrote:Can't agree more.
Maybe because yellow underground belts are already burried 1m deep, red ones 3m deep and blue ones 5m deep? You can't see how deep those little entrances go...

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

Cylindric wrote:Maybe because yellow underground belts are already burried 1m deep, red ones 3m deep and blue ones 5m deep? You can't see how deep those little entrances go...
Problem with that is that when they're in one line, they would have to go through one another, just this time underground ^ ^

Cylindric
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cylindric »

You can also carry 100's of factories around in your pocket. I don't find it too much of a stretch to imagine that there is more going on below the surface than meets the eye. Perhaps each tile is a 20m square, and it's just the icon that fills the view. Just seems an arbitrary thing to get "it can't work that way" about.

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

Well I myself doesn't care about that. I have no issues with those belts whatsoever.

I'm simply saying that I find the explanation "different depth for the belt" to be just as implausible as the current situation (which is no explanation at all), as it also makes no sense whatsoever.

Return to “General discussion”