Why don't have same account

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Speiderful
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Why don't have same account

Post by Speiderful »

Why isn't the game account and the forum account the same, why does factorio have seperate account for the forum?

I just don't see the point :3

Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Why don't have same account

Post by Sander Buruma »

the forum and website are hosted by separate entities, and the devs probably haven't gotten around to integrating their website with the forums. They probably took a simple option with few headaches that doesn't have the added functionality of a fully integrated forum. I reckon it would cost some extra funds they don't want to and probably don't need to spend in order to get an integrated forum.

Thourion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Thourion »

I dont think that its a common practice to have the same account for forums and the game.
One reason i can think of is security. Especially for small in workforce companies (aka indy or otherwise). You can focus on the game database security, without worrying to much about the public web page/server shenanigans.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, this security aspect is important.

I once programmed such a thing for our LAN-parties and I managed it so, that new accounts could be generated only in the lan-party-entity and from there they are created in all other entities (forum, game/turnamen system, beamer app etc.) . In the entities the user could change then his preferences (email, password etc.).

From my view now: Not the best solution, but well working in this small context. I tend to not make it so in this case, cause the security is too low for that.

A professional system would handle everything with a so called single-sign-on, this is a high afford and you need to have professional programmers, cause security-wise you can make many things wrong.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

PHPBB being a massively popular forum engine means there are lots of people out there looking for security problems in it to scavenge login data (people tend to use same username/password/email in many places. If you compromise one you likely have access to many other places). Linking things with forum directly doesn't look like a good idea security-wise to me.

Though I wonder how complex would it be to use openid for logging into forum and game ...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

High afford, not from programming, but from supporting it. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “General discussion”