A "Co-op" style playthrough, would you watch?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Would you be interested in seeing this playthrough? (Please read first post before voting)

Yes.
89%
No. (Why? Post below)
11%

Total votes: 37

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

A "Co-op" style playthrough, would you watch?

Post by FishSandwich »

So for a few weeks now I'm been thinking about doing a co-op style playthrough, with 3 or 4 other YouTubers. It will essentially be like a normal playthrough, but with each youtuber taking turns posting their video to the playthrough. ie First youtuber does the first 30 minutes of a save file, sends the save file to a second youtuber who does the next 30 minutes then sends it to the next youtuber who does the next 30 minutes, etc etc. until it goes back to the first youtuber and the cycle continues, hopefully with the goal of making a huge base and getting to rocket defense.

This is about as close as we can get to multiplayer at the moment. :P

There would obviously be some ground rules down, like:
1. Whoever does the next video won't be allowed to watch the previous video(or preload the save file to see what it looks like), so they may end up with the save file and have no clue about what the previous youtuber was attempting (hilarity ensues)
2. Whoever does the next video wouldn't be allowed to make major changes to bases that already exist (that's pretty much to prevent hostility)
3. Each video would have to be the same length (30 minutes is usually good, although that is up for debate).
4. A max of 4 youtubers seems like a good number(myself included).
5. ???????????
None of these rules are final, and if you have suggestions please comment below. :D

A couple things I'd like from the community, are:
1. Would you be interested in watching something like this? (please vote above)
2. Do you have comments, suggestions? Post them below.

YouTubers,
FishSandwich
-root
Xterminator
Infectum13
FKODgaming
Last edited by FishSandwich on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: A "Co-op" style playthrough, would you watch?

Post by Turtle »

This could be interesting to watch. Some might be *cough* encouraged to over-complicate things for the next guy just to see their reactions on YouTube. But you would have to be careful with that because it may get old after like 8-ish episodes.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Count me in as a youtuber.

I also like the idea of not seeing what the player before has done :lol:
Turtle wrote:This could be interesting to watch. Some might be *cough* encouraged to over-complicate things for the next guy just to see their reactions on YouTube. But you would have to be careful with that because it may get old after like 8-ish episodes.
With regards to this, we should arrange for each of the four youtubers to have an FSU (fuck shit up) episode assigned at random so that it only happens once to each person in the playthrough and its like a novelty thing that just pops up randomly.

Not doing stupid shit like turning inserters around the wrong but making layouts or doing things that a complete headfuck to untangle and make work right :twisted:

Dark
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dark »

I would definitely watch something like that, especially if the next person is not allowed to watch what person before him was doing ;)

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

I think this could be quite interesting and entertaining. I like to participate as one of the youtubers, so you can count me in for that! Haha this will be quite interesting, kind of like that game you would play as kids where you make up a story by each person adding a word or two, and you just keep going around like that. :p
Image Image Image

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Pretty good feedback so far(here and on reddit), currently 15 of 16 votes are for Yes. :)

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

-root wrote:Count me in as a youtuber.

I also like the idea of not seeing what the player before has done :lol:
Turtle wrote:This could be interesting to watch. Some might be *cough* encouraged to over-complicate things for the next guy just to see their reactions on YouTube. But you would have to be careful with that because it may get old after like 8-ish episodes.
With regards to this, we should arrange for each of the four youtubers to have an FSU (fuck shit up) episode assigned at random so that it only happens once to each person in the playthrough and its like a novelty thing that just pops up randomly.

Not doing stupid shit like turning inserters around the wrong but making layouts or doing things that a complete headfuck to untangle and make work right :twisted:
I don't think I'd like to see a "FSU" type of episode. What I meant by over-complicating things, I meant something like this:

When it could've been done like this:

I suppose one of the ground rules should be that machines should work with at least a decent efficiency (to prevent things like reversed inserters that prevent the machine from working).

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Turtle wrote:
-root wrote:<snip>
I get what you're saying about efficiency, but I think it would depend on the skill level of the 'tuber that's doing the video at the time. We seem to have a good mix of different skill levels so far, and I think some of the fun would be hearing the confusion on the next video, that's the idea of doing a blind playthrough like this. :)

I agree with you on that rule though, it wouldn't make sense to allow people to deliberately mess things up for the next 'tuber by halting production, but I will allow some harmless fun to be had. :)

PharAway
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PharAway »

I love the idea Fish. If you've got space I'd throw my hat in as a potential tuber. I'm not an expert by any means but I think that will add to the fun of it like you've said. Let me know the details and I count me in. The only limitation I may have is I will be unavailable next week since I'll be away from technology for vacation.

The idea sounds awesome though! It would be hilarious to have blind playthroughs.

Also, my twitter handle is @PharAway05

Check us out on face book at Phar Away Gaming

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

I just thought of something... how about each 'tuber's mission for the episode is to try (if there is anything) to optimize one part of production while they continue to progress. This would lead to something like "fixing" what they previous 'tuber did while they prepare a spaghetti of belts for the next 'tuber to "fix."

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is great.

I think to autumn, when multiplayer is potentially working and a game mode, where every player gets only points, when he builds stuff which he is forced to build when entering the game. Like in the board game Risiko, where you are given a secret task at game start.

"Hey, what you are building pipes here, I need to bring coal to the west portal with belts! Go make more underground pipes!"
"Sorry, but my target is to make as much as possible refinery products without underground belts..."
"WTF..."
"Yes, WtF..."
Third player arrives: "Hey guys, what are you standing around her? Go away with belts and pipes, here comes the new north-south train!!"
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

FishSandwich wrote: Youtubers:
FishSandwich
-root
Xterminator
Infectum13
FKODgaming
Looks like we've got our team! Sick!

Anyone got any other rule suggestions to add?

I think ssilk might be onto something though :twisted: What about no logistical robots? Or no direct insertion (assembler to assembler or assembler -> box -> assembler) This could get real mean real fast :mrgreen: :lol: . I'm happy to play a vanilla game where we just go in completely blind, but what would people like to see/the other youtubers like to do?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

That sounds pretty cool, dunno if it'd work for this playthrough or if it would be something better left for when multiplayer is actually released though.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

This is sounding more awesome by the minute, can't wait to get started! I'm pretty open to any rules we have, but I feel like not using a logistics system might make this a little too difficult to do in 24h(pretty sure I saw that mentioned somewhere that fish wanted it to be done in aprox 24h of gameplay). But hey it could be a really fun challenge so I'm up for whatever.
I mean actually there is several different things we could do for rules/challenges if we wanted to..

- We could possibly take out the 24h completion restraint and add some challenges/twists by changing map settings to begin with, like resources or biters.
- Could do something like what root- mentioned and make a rule to not use logistic drones (would be quite interesting, but get incredibly messy very fast lol).
- Do some sort of time constraint for completion. Personally I'm okay with whatever, but this one might be difficult or stressful trying to get everything set up and finished in like 24h of play with 4-5 different people playing.

Can't wait to start discussing this with you all. :D
Last edited by Xterminator on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sander Buruma »

I think i would be prone to commit capital crime against anyone who sends me their save because I'm a perfectionist and can't stand inefficiencies but I wish you good luck on this venture...

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I never said anything about getting it done within 24 hours, lol. :P

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Hmm could of sworn I saw that somewhere. Oh well, probably something from another thread that got mixed up with this one lol xD
Image Image Image

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Sander Buruma wrote:I think i would be prone to commit capital crime against anyone who sends me their save because I'm a perfectionist and can't stand inefficiencies.
And therein lies the fun :mrgreen: Everyone plays this game differently, we all have our different approaches to things.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Just letting you guys know that myself, -rootgaming, Infectum13, FKODgaming, and Xterminator recently spent about 3 hours discussing and planning this playthrough. We think it is going to be tons of fun, expect the first episode of the series soon. :)

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

Always room on the internet for good Let's Plays of good games. Gives me something to listen to while I pull the graveyard shifts.

Return to “General discussion”