Out of curiousity

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
kingdark
Inserter
Inserter

Out of curiousity

Post by kingdark »

I was wondering something, today I just started a new game after carefully choosing the mods i want to use. (It kept crashing so I had to figure out which mod was the one that was doing it) Anyway, I was just providing my electricity production (steam) coal but it's way too much at this point and my belt would go full very quickly. So I'm curious to know if it is possible (or if there is a mod) where you can tell to 'produce at a lesser rate' With this I mean, say that the electric mining drill produces 10 coal per second. This would equal to 100%. Is it possible to tell it to produce at 50% (so 5 coal per second) or however much or less I want it to produce?

It would be useful if you want to scale down production a little or if you don't like full belts in the beginning. Is it possible? If so, is there an up to date mod already?
(note, this isn't a request to make a mod like this, I'm asking out of curiosity. Although, if it is possible and no such mod exists (yet) I would ask for it in the right topic. Right now, i'm just asking if it possible.

Thanks!

Kingdark

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Out of curiousity

Post by d3x0r »

clever use of circits can limit their production....
but what's wrong with alloing it to just back up on the belt until it gets to the drill which then stops the drill when it can't place its output?

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Otherwise it would be easy to make a mod that includes speed penalty/production penalty modules you could insert into things....

kingdark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kingdark »

It was just a thought, you know. Just to have the option and to decide to lower the output. Maybe it could lower the power usage then too? If you need to save up on power and you can't scale up for whatever reason. (a lack of resources?) Does a mod like this already exist? Is there a guide that could direct me in the right direction to do it myself?

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

kingdark wrote:It was just a thought, you know. Just to have the option and to decide to lower the output. Maybe it could lower the power usage then too? If you need to save up on power and you can't scale up for whatever reason. (a lack of resources?) Does a mod like this already exist? Is there a guide that could direct me in the right direction to do it myself?
Yea right, shut down power plants is called saving power :shock: :shock: :lol: Like car is out of fuel: you wont get to your destination, but on the bright side youre SAVING by not driving lol.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Out of curiousity
Horribly uninformative title.
kingdark wrote:I was wondering something, today I just started a new game after carefully choosing the mods i want to use. (It kept crashing so I had to figure out which mod was the one that was doing it)
And your thread starts out with random stuff that has nothing to do with the thread. At this point I am very qonfused what the thread is about and have re-read your message several times to understand what it is about.
kingdark wrote:Anyway, I was just providing my electricity production (steam) coal but it's way too much at this point and my belt would go full very quickly.
You can't have too much. It's a non-problem. Don't worry.
kingdark wrote:So I'm curious to know if it is possible (or if there is a mod) where you can tell to 'produce at a lesser rate' With this I mean, say that the electric mining drill produces 10 coal per second. This would equal to 100%. Is it possible to tell it to produce at 50% (so 5 coal per second) or however much or less I want it to produce?
Yes it's possible without mods.
Do not read this please I already regret writing it because you shouldnt know this for your own good
But the drills will idle and not use any power (except miniscule amounts that should be disregarded) when the belts fill up anyways. And then they will produce at exactly the capacity you need (and drain that amount of power) up to 100%. Don't do what you are trying to do. If you think this is something you want and can't figure it out by yourself then you are the type of person that would just make more trouble for yourself by doing this. Learn to love full belts if you want to get good at the game.
My mods: Capsule Ammo | HandyHands - Automatic handcrafting | ChunkyChunks - Configurable Gridlines
Some other creations: Combinassembly Language GitHub w instructions and link to run it in your browser | 0~drain Laser

kingdark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kingdark »

Thank you for the information. It helped me a lot :) Was my topic really that bad? I mean, I was curious, hence the title. It didn't have any big sense of priority. Nevertheless, thank you again :)

quadrox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by quadrox »

kingdark wrote:Thank you for the information. It helped me a lot :) Was my topic really that bad? I mean, I was curious, hence the title. It didn't have any big sense of priority. Nevertheless, thank you again :)
Well, personally I don't think it's that big of a deal, but without a informative thread title (one that explain what the thread is about) other readers don't know if it is something that interests them. This makes it necessary to open the thread.

What's worse, you then start writing about something that has absolutely nothing to do with your question, making it even more difficult to understand what the thread is about.

Imagine if every thread on the forum had no proper title, and started with some random text. It would be a horrible place to discuss anything. So please, in the future try to do better.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

kingdark wrote:
It would be useful if you want to scale down production a little or if you don't like full belts in the beginning. Is it possible?
You can decrease energy input, then it can slowed from 0 to 100%. Or you need to make a lot of entity prototypes and replace them by the script.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Qon wrote:But the drills will idle and not use any power (except miniscule amounts that should be disregarded) when the belts fill up anyways.
Actually, drills have zero idle power drain - it's not even a miniscule amount. :)

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

torne wrote:
Qon wrote:But the drills will idle and not use any power (except miniscule amounts that should be disregarded) when the belts fill up anyways.
Actually, drills have zero idle power drain - it's not even a miniscule amount. :)
I think that electric-mining-drill power has 3kW idle.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

darkfrei wrote: I think that electric-mining-drill power has 3kW idle.
No.
This is its prototype (I removed all the animations part):
Electric mining drill
No drain.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

torne wrote:
Thank you for correcting me. I assumed, sorry. I will try to do better in the future.
Koub wrote:
No.
This is its prototype [...]
No drain.
Facts straight from the source. Thanks.
My mods: Capsule Ammo | HandyHands - Automatic handcrafting | ChunkyChunks - Configurable Gridlines
Some other creations: Combinassembly Language GitHub w instructions and link to run it in your browser | 0~drain Laser

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Koub wrote:
No.
This is its prototype (I removed all the animations part):

No drain.
And what we have when nothing is defined? I was thinking that we have drain by default 1/30 of working power.

UPD, tested: by idle 0 W >:)

Return to “General discussion”