Map Editor - Could do with some love and attention

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
DraLUSAD
Inserter
Inserter

Map Editor - Could do with some love and attention

Post by DraLUSAD »

Hello everyone, I would like to point out, I'm note sure where to post this, but its not an "Idea and Suggestion" but more, "Frustration" to be honest, and for one, I love making "Silly" maps, I even build and experiment, and even "Try" and make some wacky and weird maps, the only issue is....... everything, the Map Editor engine, could do with some updating, to making maps, more powerful, and less fuss.

The one issue i have is that there is one tile, you cannot move around on, EVEN in map editor... the "Out of map" tile, you're camera seems to be like playing "God Mode", yet you still cannot move around it, this makes map editing frustrating, as you take out a chunk of the map with said tile, and you're locked, until you put down a movable tile, like grass, sand, etc.
  • In Map Editor, allow users to move around even on "Out of Map" tiles, this will make map making much more stress free
Next on the list is Ore tiles, now i know what you'll say here "Oh just place water tiles behind it, and BAM, ore all gone" but, I rather "Remove" the entire ore in one click, regardless of amount, its frustrating when... you have an ore vein at 24M units of ore per squire, and you like need to re-value it, but rather "Reducing" the value, allow to "Kill instantly" the ore, with out having to edit the tile.
  • In Map Editor, allow the user to instantly remove a selection of ore, with out placing water tiles, or anything to instantly remove the ore, whiles keeping the map preserved
The other concern is, Map Properties, there is none, sure, you can "Create new map" and change values there, BUT, whiles in map editor, you can't, what if i want to change how fast bitters build new bases?, perhaps, I want it to be a PVP, maybe the size is too small, and need to resize a little, wait... the map is too big now, and and things have spawned on it, its going to take me a while to make it into a blank canvas.

There is no options of these, and would be nice to having variables for the map whiles editing, so say, i want to lock a map size of "Width"1280-"Hight"640", and then regenerate, you'll get a locked canvas, but things have already spawned on it, tiles, nests, ore, trees, etc, so it will take some time to place water tiles, THEN grass tiles to make it into a blank canvas, so I've already wasted time on something, if only i had an option to "Generate blank map with tile "sand"
  • In Map Editor, allow users to fine tune there maps as the map settings inside the editor, which gives users flexibility on creating maps and fine tunes how the map works
this next one supports "PVP", there is no ability to add "Force" into the maps, and any items you place down has limited options, one being "Friendly, Neutral, Hostile", with a "Force" Variable, and being a "PVP" Map, allow the creation of Force and Color into the map, along with Force Spawn point, this adds new options to the editing tool when selecting buildings, which when selected with the Force, will give that structure the current force ID, this means if i made a force "Red" and "Blue", I can set the structure i put doing being that force, I.E. Gun Turret, this allows users to set up small bases for PVP battles, based on the team/force for that map, also allow the "Choosing sides" when entering said map "Single player or Multiplayer"
  • In Map Editor, allow users to create PVP maps, and setting up Force/team lists, so that you can design team bases and spawn points
placing down buildings, sure, i can select a power pole, see its range of power influence, but as soon as i put it down, i can't see it, it can get tricky to determine, the structures i put down is getting power, there is no guides to power grid, so i'll need to select the pole several times to move into the same spot to determine the influence, in the Map Editor, the Poles influence, should remain visible, like how you would ingame
  • In Map Editor, allow users to have better control over whats been placed, and what influence the item has
Lastly, there is no way of copy and paste mechanic in the map editor, some times, I might want to "Mirror" one side of the map, or make several rows of something, there isn't such tool, so you have to match it by hand, this can get a little frustrating, and could be quicker if i could do:
  • Copy and paste the selected region to being identical
  • Rotate the copied region to past it on a different angle
  • Flip the copied region to make a mirror version of said region
  • Ability to toggle on/off to copy the region with structures being there
  • Ability to toggle on/off to copy the current tile in said region
This would make map editing, a lot faster, less hassle, and more time to design new, clever, funky maps
  • In Map Editor, allow users to be able to copy, paste, and cut from the map, to allow faster pasting of the region selected
TL;DR
  • Allow users to move outside of "Out of map" tiles to better control of map editing
  • Allow users to instantly kill ore veins with a single click, with out changing map tiles
  • Allow users to change variables, and settings to there map, change size, game mode/element and advance settings
  • Allow users to wipe a map using only 1 (or multiple) tiles, for a clean canvas to design the map
  • Allow users to create Team/Forces for the map, and imply structures for that team, which can be made into a PVP orientated map(s)
  • Allow the function to "Copy, Paste and Cut" of the map, to allow placing of multiple items/regions, with out having to do it all by hand

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Map Editor - Could do with some love and attention

Post by Jap2.0 »

Sounds good, the only issue I see is that the map border was added to deal with issuesif you travelled too far out past 1 million tiles, but I would think that they could either make the kind of out-of-map tile you place from the editor a completely different tile which you can pass over, or only allow you to fly over out-of-map tiles up to 1 million tiles away.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

Yeah, I agree
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

DraLUSAD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DraLUSAD »

I don't know why someone would move that far just to break a game, or something, maybe a key to press if you get stuck like press the "Home" key would snap you back where the center of the map is, the only problem i'm having, is saving a Map, then loading it, only to be back at the center of the map, now, I've made some silly maps, and when "Shrinking" the map, i end up being inside "Out of map" tiles, so when i DO load the map, my Camera is stuck in the void, no wear to move, unless i tile bridge back to the actual map, the camera focus should be saved, when saving map, and be able to snap back at the last save point when re-loading the map, or perhaps using the spawn flag as said camera to snap

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

DraLUSAD wrote:I don't know why someone would move that far just to break a game, or something, maybe a key to press if you get stuck like press the "Home" key would snap you back where the center of the map is, the only problem i'm having, is saving a Map, then loading it, only to be back at the center of the map, now, I've made some silly maps, and when "Shrinking" the map, i end up being inside "Out of map" tiles, so when i DO load the map, my Camera is stuck in the void, no wear to move, unless i tile bridge back to the actual map, the camera focus should be saved, when saving map, and be able to snap back at the last save point when re-loading the map, or perhaps using the spawn flag as said camera to snap
It's called teleport commands :).

DraLUSAD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DraLUSAD »

never thought about that, how does that work xD

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

DraLUSAD wrote:never thought about that, how does that work xD
You go to chat, type /c teleport me really far away, get mad because it doesn't work, then go read the entire wiki.

Return to “General discussion”