Map Seed when using Map Editor

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Map Seed when using Map Editor

Post by TheSAguy »

I see that you can't get the Map Exchange String when you create a map in the Map Editor.

The map editor created a great starting area for me, I made no changes and was wondering if there was any way to extract the map seed from the save?
I don't care about resources, I just want the land formation.

Also, what exactly is the difference between map exchange string and map seed?

Thanks.
Last edited by TheSAguy on Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Map Seed when using Map Editor

Post by slpwnd »

TheSAguy wrote:I see that you can't get the Map Exchange String when you create a map in the Map Editor.

The map editor created a great starting area for me, I made no changes and was wondering if there was any way to extract the map seed from the same?
I don't care about resources, I just want the land formation.

Also, what exactly is the difference between map exchange string and map seed?

Thanks.
Map Seed - random number generator seed

Map Exchange String - All settings for the map creation (Map Seed, settings for resources, settings for size, etc.)

Jetlaw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Map Seed when using Map Editor

Post by Jetlaw »

The above is correct.

Also - You can get the Map Exchange String for any individual save file when you attempt to load it.

On the load screen there's a button that allows you to get the Map Exchange String. Put that into the map exchange string text box when you create a new map and it'll automatically fill out all the settings for you - Including the map seed. You can copy/paste the map seed from that point.

Of course I don't know if it'll produce the exact same map if you created it in the map editor, but there's only one way to find out - Try it!

Return to “General discussion”