Fired up Factorio again - a most excellent game IMO

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Gregorovitch
Inserter
Inserter

Fired up Factorio again - a most excellent game IMO

Post by Gregorovitch »

I played quite a bit a few months ago. Watched Arumba playing it a bit the other day and thought yeah, I must have another go now see what they've done to it.

I had forgotten just how intricate and flexible it was. It really is a genuinely innovative and most excellent game, fabulous stuff. I'm not sure I know of anything like it really. I guess Kerbal Space program is the same league, but i haven't played that yet.

Is it going to Steam any time soon? I'm lazy and I would really like to get automatic updates for it :)

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Fired up Factorio again - a most excellent game IMO

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Gregorovitch wrote:...
Is it going to Steam any time soon? I'm lazy and I would really like to get automatic updates for it :)
You should get automatic updates every time you start factorio (if you have ticked this on in the options). Even the experimental Updates.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yup, it seems to be almost one of a kind type game, and as said it is fabulous! To this date, I don't think I have found a game quite as adsorbing as Factorio. For example, I'm doing a LP of it right now, and sometimes I do off screen work, and I plan to do only like 1-2 things that should only take 15 minutes or so, and accidentally end up spend over an hour doing stuff without realizing it. Haha

As for automatic updates, as someone else mentioned, just go into the options menu and check the thing for experimental updates, and then any time there is an update, it will give you the option to install it automatically. :D
Image Image Image

Gregorovitch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gregorovitch »

Ah, OK. I did not check the experimental update box. Does "experimental" basically mean "latest release" and are they usually backward compatible with your current game save files?

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

experimental releases are unstable newer builds of the game, They can crash and have game breaking bugs and are most of the time, backwards compatible.

But it also features most of the new features, the 0.11.x experimental builds include multiplayer, tanks, and a new biter enemy, the spitter. Its a mobile ranged worm you could say.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

And ... experimental and unstable ... at factorio means .... more stable and reliable then most of the AAA titles released some 3 years ago :).

kovarex will not release builds in a shape that some full price games was released as finished :)

Keyalha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Keyalha »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:And ... experimental and unstable ... at factorio means .... more stable and reliable then most of the AAA titles released some 3 years ago :).

kovarex will not release builds in a shape that some full price games was released as finished :)
I can totally second that. The quality of Factorio is astonishingly good. If exerimentals are unstable I dont even dare to think how well the final product will be, it might be more stable and well coded then the OS it runs on :)

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Indeed, the second or third experimental build is usually already playable enough to have a great game experience, and patches fix the rare or minor bugs and add features that couldn't make it into the first release. The stable release is definitely on par or better than the vast majority of released titles.
Keyalha wrote:The quality of Factorio is astonishingly good. If exerimentals are unstable I dont even dare to think how well the final product will be, it might be more stable and well coded then the OS it runs on :)
Hah, who knows! Perhaps we will get FactoriOS one day for the most stable and bug-free experience! :lol:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Me: Computer, how much is 155440 times 455542?

computer: moment please!

computer generates a world and begins to search for resources. He has loaded a special mod, which changes the size of item so, that they fit exactly on one belt = one tile.
Builds about 20000 of mines and bringing the item to a grid of belts, which is 155440 tiles long and 455542 tiles wide. It tooks a while to built this grid, cause he needed power armor to kill all the biters in that area.
Now he counts, how many resources can be brought into this field.

computer (after about 12 seconds): 70809448481

Me: huh, that was fast!
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

ssilk wrote: computer generates a world and begins to search for resources.
Now he counts, how many resources can be brought into this field.
This sort of reminds me of the Piet programming language (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esoteric_p ... guage#Piet). I wonder how feasible it really is to make something like this in factorio... :twisted:

Return to “General discussion”