Copyright Claims On Music

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Kinesis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Copyright Claims On Music

Post by Kinesis »

Probably old news, but it looks like the usual suspects in the music industry added the game music from factorio to the copyright claim system on youtube, so just about all of my videos are getting claimed. (I end up having to remove the songs anyway because these specific claimants never release claims). Dont know if the factorio guys really care about their music being claimable on youtube (as it does affect coverage) but just putting it out there.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Copyright Claims On Music

Post by sillyfly »

*sigh*. This is actually infuriating, and proves that Google (who owns Youtube) has completely neglected their initial "do no evil" mantra.
The music is actually a free piece (http://www.freesound.org/people/ERH/sounds/33987/ , for example), used in Factorio as a placeholder until an original music is ready (I believe it is already in work by the team musician, Daniel?).

But this has not stopped Youtube from blindingly granting claims to companies which don't really hold rights over the materials. Other notable examples include the movie Sintel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sintel) by the Blender foundation, which has been blocked for a while due to a bogus claim by Sony (see wikipedia article).

As infuriating as this is, I don't think the Factorio team can do anything about it, as they are not the owners of the original music - they only use it according to it's (free!) licence. I think only the original owner may demand the bogus claims to be removed, but I am in now way an expert in those things.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Kinesis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kinesis »

sillyfly wrote:*As infuriating as this is, I don't think the Factorio team can do anything about it, as they are not the owners of the original music - they only use it according to it's (free!) licence. I think only the original owner may demand the bogus claims to be removed, but I am in now way an expert in those things.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Just for reference here is one of the claims I have to remove the music of:
Resistance - contagious orgasm | claimed by: The Orchard Music

Ive disputed about 5 orchard music claims now they return back a nice "too bad so sad" 100% of the time no mater how fair use it is.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... 5-false%5D

Yup, they are indeed serial offenders in this sense. And Google is clearly allowing this behavior :evil: :evil: :evil:

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Naturally, we don't mind having music "published" on Youtube as part of the videos. However we are not the owners of the music. We have an exclusive license for it. I will need to check with our music composer whether he is allright with it (which I suspect he will be since the music in such a case is still part of the game).

The above will be the case for the new music which is now being made. The current music is placeholders and is completely owned by us / free. So should be no problem at all.

ba12348
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ba12348 »

It's been a while since I've heard anything about the amorphous blob that is YT's copyright system, have they figured out a way to verify the claimants are who they say they are? I'm not a youtuber myself, but NerdCubed did a couple update videos right when it came out, and that's been my only real experience with it.
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJUKoIgVHCo
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A3iUCUXVD8
Long story short, Vavle claimed copyright on a scene from portal 2 in one of his videos, despite their website saying "feel free to make and monetize videos of our games," when he emailed them about this they said they didn't file the claim.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Hm, I've not had this problem(yet) but surely appealing the claim with proof the music is creative commons should be enough to make it go away?

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

FishSandwich wrote:Hm, I've not had this problem(yet) but surely appealing the claim with proof the music is creative commons should be enough to make it go away?
It is, but it takes time before the request is processed, days at best and weeks at worst. And then, they can immediately make that claim again if they so wish and you have to go through the process again. You are completely at mercy of Google and the copyright trolls there.
Last edited by Rahjital on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinesis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kinesis »

FishSandwich wrote:Hm, I've not had this problem(yet) but surely appealing the claim with proof the music is creative commons should be enough to make it go away?
Im afraid that is not the case with these specific claimants. They will gladly wait the entire 30 days before telling you "they think their claim is still valid", then you would have to take it to court (all the meanwhile youtube conveniently "is unable to do anything in regards to your claim"). Not the first time ive dealt with these sleeze balls and they dont much care for the law.

For those who are wondering the usual suspects are:
WMG
UMG
SME
IODA
The Orchard Music

They will never release a claim until you threaten full on legal action.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

WMG! one of my videos i took down was because of them!
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Return to “General discussion”