OCD Storage

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Redlemon
Inserter
Inserter

OCD Storage

Post by Redlemon »

Hello there.

I wonder if there is a way to have only one ressources per logistic crate.
(and still have them available for the network)

How can i ask my robot to store my goods very neatly ? ^^

Yellow crate (long term storage) are a real mess.

Have you guys done it ?
Please let me know :)

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: OCD Storage

Post by Adil »

I don't use robots unless absolutely necessary so the only stuff that gets on the logistic network is the stuff I've deliberately put in logistic chest by inserter.
And since I mostly use chest storage limitation rather than wired conditions, those chest only store one type of item.

If you go with robots mostly, you might need setting up storage central with single yellow chest from which items get sorted by smart inserters to other chests. With simple unmodded yellow chest you can separate 20 types of items.(four inserters with five filters as the first stage). With Dytech-storage 3x3 storage chest that's 60. With Dytech-inserters you can double that by using longhanded smart inserters.
Other alternative would be to put items out of the initial chest onto belt lined with smart inserters.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

Basically this:
factorio-sorting.png
factorio-sorting.png (494.06 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
Obviously you can scale that to your needs in any direction. Note the unfiltered chests at the end that are needed to make sure the belt doesn't get filled with items that aren't sorted out by any of the smart inserters. The problem with this setup is, that the bots will put anything in those storage chests at the begining, so unless you create a sorting chest for every single item type in your network you'll need the overflow at the end (also if one of the sorted chests runs full).

There isn't really any other way to make sure that items are sorted by logistics robots. They already do a little bit of sorting on their own but it's pretty much impossible to control.

In the end it's not really necessary. Since you have logistics bots you don't really need your stuff to be sorted, you can just request it. If you wanna make sure you always have certain items available in a central location, set up a few requestor chests.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Well, if you build enough empty storage chests (like, 20 for starters, more if you put more stuff into the network), the bots will put one kind of item only into every chest. You could sort them manually after, if you wish to do so. And if you like to prepare more chests for a high volume item like iron or stone, simply put one into each chest that you prefer them to use. The bots should fill those chests first before they start filling a new one. I've actually never tried if that really works, but it should :mrgreen:
I am not entirely sure in which order they start to fill empty chests though.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Since the Passive Provider Chests is input controlled, those are always organized as I want. But for the Storage Chests:
1- Create 100-200 Storage Chests
2- Make sure they're empty
3- Order bots to destroy any storage chest that has more than 1 type of alt (press alt)
4- Repeat step 3 until no more chests has more than 1 item type
5- ...?
6- PROFIT

Redlemon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redlemon »

Thanks a lot guys !

So there seems to be no ideal solution but i will try both.

I like the gandalf way but i have no idea of the kind of mess it can generate ;)

I may go for the unlimited storage chest :p

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

I suggest doing a search on sorter. with a sorter you can organize material that comes in

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/dow ... hp?id=2692

Return to “General discussion”