Endgame concerns[POLL]

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

What is in your opinion THE WORST part of the endgame as presented from Factorio Facts?

The supposedly large amounts of resources required to build the spaceship (preparation part)
2%
The fact that you're building a new isolated factory rather than improving your existing one
23%
I don't like the idea of building a factory on a tiny platform; size restrictions (puzzle part)
13%
The fact that there is no way to interact with the spaceship while it's on it's way (cinematic part)
11%
The idea of rescuing colonists (story)
11%
The suggested need to build it over and over again till one of the spaceships succeeds on it's mission (repetition)
14%
Nothing; I love it, it's the best thing they could have planned
27%

Total votes: 133

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Endgame concerns[POLL]

Post by Drury »

Community is super split on the endgame content, but it's difficult to tell what exactly is the part that most can agree is the least good. In the FFF discussion threads we only get to hear what a vocal minority has to say. Hence this poll, in which I collected the most major concerns I've heard raised in the FFF discussions. Vote what you think is the most important flaw of the endgame. Let's see actual numbers that could possibly provide actual constructive feedback.

Even if you're only slightly concerned and trust the devs to make it an enjoyable experience, make sure to vote the option that you're most unsure about.

We're not bashing the devs here, we're isolating the core of the problem. If you're the opposite and just wish you could pick everything except "I love it," please do try to pick the most gnawing issue.

Schorty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Endgame concerns[POLL]

Post by Schorty »

I didn't vote, because no given point fits my opinion. I think the whole idea isn't ready to judge it. I'll wait some FFF's until I make my call ;)
Till now i'm fine with the course Factorio is taking. My only concern is, that it's going to be "space-heavy". I don't like space games... I never did. Thats the reason, why I haven't played KSP yet. If, and only if, the only thing you have to do in space is to build some little factories on those platforms and defend them from asteroids and such, then I'm fine with it.

Keep in mind, that this is MY opinion. If you like space games, then this is fine. But you have to play them without me. I don't want to offend those people in any way.

I am really excited about what the devs are going to do =)
Tired of not being able to reduce the pollution? Try the Air-Filter-Mod
With this, you are able to use the pollution levels in your circuit network: Pollution detector

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Schorty wrote:I didn't vote, because no given point fits my opinion. I think the whole idea isn't ready to judge it. I'll wait some FFF's until I make my call ;)
My thoughts exactly. The idea could go so many different ways, it is way too early to judge.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I'm just collecting gut-feelings here, not really any objective criticism being given at this point. I feel really good about the whole thing yet I voted the cinematics part, even though I can see it working quite well if it works on an "aquarium" basis (check how your ship is doing every now and then inbetween your duties at your factory).

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

To me the 2nd and 3rd options are the same thing. 1) I really don't want a limited platform, if I can expand is that's better. Having said that ... I would prefer to keep expanding my main factory.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Well that argument is interesting as you are not really throwing anything away, you stay down on your planet with your factory, sending building materials via rockets and presumably assembling the space platform remotely.

The part where the space platform blows up on the way and you having to construct another one implies that.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

I didn't vote yet, since I'm giving the "Endgame" proposal in its current state the benefit of doubt and I'll surely try it before I might come up with any solid complaints or suggestions.

But I have to admit that I'm with Marconos on his point of an expandable space platform.

But then again I also have made up some own thoughts about the endgame proposal ever since the topic came up a few weeks ago and personally I would actually prefer if the endgame would be pretty much the other way around than it has been proposed:

- The existing gameplay until the point one builds the rocket silos.
- Building the space platform in the orbit. This is the turning point in the game.
- Expanding the Space platform until it becomes the actual "Endgame Factory".
- Use that Space Platform to travel between unexplored planets and explore and eventually exploit them for their unique resources they offer (which would be the point of having different planets)
- Meeting colonists on the route (rescue them, or do other missions for them to win them over) and either keep them on your space platform for your benefit or build them a village/city to live/work in your factory outposts scattered on the various planets, really trying to colonize those planets.

That way colonists could actually have unique traits that will boost the economy and workflow so you have to evaluate where it would be best to drop them off to exploit their abilities, like for example resource boosting, throughput boosting, or giving various defense/offense traits to the planet outposts.

That way you are trying to explore, build and automate self-sustaining colonies on various planets, each of them having their own unique flavors to them, in terms of environment, resources and enemies/allies found there, which could be expanded upon in the far off future, if the devs would ever want to take it that far.

At least I came to the point that I don't really feel like I want to endlessly expand on the same map/planet, because it becomes tiresome in a quadratic trend/growthrate because stuff is further and further away from where you started and it takes forever to travel to the edge of the map. After some point I actually want to see backgrounds other than meadows, trees, deserts and endless hordes of Biters. ^^

But that's just my 2 cents on the Endgame-Dilemma. I think everybody defines "Endgame" differently so no matter what not everyone will be pleased. That's the risk we were taking when investing in a game that is not yet finished. The course of development might change down the road. But that's not bad, because the game offers thousands of hours of fun even without a rock solid endgame, at least if you like to experiment. ^^

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

The truth is: it's not even yet out but you're already complaining. Gotta agree with the ones didn't vote, it's the best thing to do/

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

As I said, it's not complaining, it's an opinion survey.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Sincerally? It's not what it seems. It feels bashing. Like bashing the pre-concepts of the ideas.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

Didn't vote either, I feel like this thread is based on way too much negativity. Asking people what they dislike about something that doesn't even exist yet is fairly counter productive.
Don't get me wrong, criticism is crucial at any stage of development, but explicitly negative speculation based purely on a few teasers without so much as a prototype is anything but constructive (contrary to what the inital post claims).

Also I don't like the suggestive nature of the poll. It basically imposes a few options way too much emphasis without giving regards to individuals' opinions and concerns. This is enforced by the lack of an “other” option.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

I'm not reading this as negative but solid feedback that can be used to help direct where the end game goes. The development team can use the results here to help make a more educated decision. I think they are on the right track with what they are doing, it just has to be done right. As long as it take me time and resources to build everything I think it will fit in. Rescuing the colonists leads nicely to an expansion game.

One where you are building factory to make the planet more livable for the colonists, defense from the biters and from other humans looking to cache in (aka take) this resource rich paradise that you have taken control of. Can you say rocket defense against invading forces from space? Just throwing things out.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

To this :

The fact that you're building a new isolated factory rather than improving your existing one

I do not know what you mean ... (OK, I do know but ...)

You are not building a new factory in space, but you expand your earthbound factory to graeter boundaries. I think of the roket to get materials in the orbit as an other sort of transportbelt :).
And the (maybe) limitations of buildindspace as another sort of lakes ;)

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

SHiRKiT wrote:Sincerally? It's not what it seems. It feels bashing. Like bashing the pre-concepts of the ideas.
Okay, to recapitulate my posts in ths thread...

After seeing a wave of (constructive) criticism in the FFF threads lately, I decide to put it in order, so we (but mosly devs) can see actual numbers to base further decisions on. It's not headless bashing, it's a serious survey with a purpose - collecting negative feedback in an organized manner. Why negative? As far as feedback goes, negative is the most helpful. When you're making a game, you want to know what people dislike about it so you know where to improve and what to change. Positive feedback ia nice and helps in a way (motivation) but it doesn't help if you want to know what to improve.

As I said, I really like the whole concept of the endgame and am curious to see how it winds up, but I voted on the part I was slightly concerned about nonetheless so as to help collecting useful data.

I did it not because I felt like it, but rather to kind of dissect the mess of criticism of FFF threads. Is it kind of early to judge? Maybe, but people are already being critical (actually more critical than I've ever seen regarding roadmap). Might as well go ahead and see just how many of them are critical and why exactly.

Alekthefirst
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alekthefirst »

Wouldn't the only things on the spaceship be power generation and defence? Why would the colonists in space need a steady supply of iron, for instance?
Factorio is a game about automating everything. One day, i hope i can automate shitty signatures just like this one.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Alekthefirst wrote:Wouldn't the only things on the spaceship be power generation and defence? Why would the colonists in space need a steady supply of iron, for instance?
I think the engines and power generators will require refined resources (hydrogen is mentioned multiple times on the whiteboard).

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

I haven't voted on the poll because the worst part about the endgame for me is that we are still going out and fighting the biters by hand.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

I am fine with rescuing some settlers as part of the space ship mission, but I hope they haven't completely abandoned the idea of using the ship for more tasks. A galactic market was mentioned at some point, for example. If the endgame is done right, there is some kind of "hard target" (build a functioning space ship, rescue some guys, ...), but there should still be some endless mode after that; a galactic market would help greatly with this. Also, I am positive that modders could do wonders with some form of built-in trading system. And you could easily introduce new blueprints/parts/resources which are not native on the planet into the game.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I actually think they have this covered already Gewalt. There's an item called Coin in the game already that it seems that they are developing this already (also check Computer and Player Port. Although the Plane was a just a cake =\ [Portal ref] )

pyrolytic_tungsten
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pyrolytic_tungsten »

SHiRKiT wrote:I actually think they have this covered already Gewalt. There's an item called Coin in the game already that it seems that they are developing this already (also check Computer and Player Port. Although the Plane was a just a cake =\ [Portal ref] )
Coins and markets are already used in the scenario pack for the tight spot scenarios. Granted, it's not exactly a galactic market dealing in unobtainium.
Last edited by pyrolytic_tungsten on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General discussion”