[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Ore Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Keep merged Galena, or change to seperate Lead and Nickel ores?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 am

Galena gives Lead and Nickel
56%
Lead and Nickel as seperate ore fields.
11%
Keep Galena, and add another mod that adds Nickel ore fields. (turning Galena to Lead ore)
33%

Total votes: 9

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.3] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by bobingabout »

ycen wrote:And is there a possibility to remove Gems? What i mean remove them as a mineable ore. And add them in stone ore. As side product, Only mineable with advance miner (mk2 or better maybe).
Check out the config file.

Disable gems ore, turn on gems from other ores. They're already predefined. Diamonds can come from Coal for example. Each gem comes from a specific ore (And most actually from the same ore, so there's only 3 that drop gems)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ycen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ycen »

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

The amount of gems is just ridiculous for the needs.
If I disable gems mid-game will the existing ore patches disappear to clean up the map? Will I be able to craft all the laser tiers without gems?

To be honest the gem refining should be rebalanced

1 cut = 20 raw
1 polished = 50 cut (= 1000 raw)

This way you will get around 100 polished rubies from starting location and will have to scavenge for more, just perfect ;)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Gem ore isn't supposed to apear in the start area at all... but I will admit it does need some tuning, you do get more than you should.
I also have a Patreon.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

bobingabout wrote:Gem ore isn't supposed to apear in the start area at all... but I will admit it does need some tuning, you do get more than you should.

;) idea new 2 resources

1 Natural gas
and

2 geotermal water
Attachments
Water.png
Water.png (162.93 KiB) Viewed 4748 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Gas is something I looked into before, and decided not to do. you already get petroleum gas from oil, which essentially is natural gas.

Water is something I have considered so that you have to place my water bore on top of it.

can I have that water sprite sheet?
I also have a Patreon.

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

Hahaha. Oh my gosh. I wish I'd searched sooner. I was losing hope on my world because I couldn't find any lead. I did find silver, but can't make solder from silver without an electric furnace, which I can't make without solder. Which means I need lead. I didn't realize Galena = lead. I have multiple Galena patches but never mined any since I hadn't seen any recipes call for it yet.

This is how much I explored on foot because losing hope:

"Oops". :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yes... "Oops".
Perhaps calling the actual ore item Galena instead of Lead Ore would help?
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.4] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by bobingabout »

Update:

v0.12.4
* Added lots of new functions for generating resource data.
* All ores are now generated by functions from a table.
* Decreased gem ores "Richness". (Less ore in a tile)
* Increased Lead and Quartz starting area spawn amounts to be the same as base game stone.

Seriously, it's like I re-wrote the entire mod.
As of this release, you are now able to generate your own resources using hooks in my mod. I will go into detail about it later.

The reason I have done most of this is because there will be 2 major changes.

1. In a future release, all ores will be disabled by default. Current planned exception to this rule being Gems, which will be enabled in the config file... This MAY be moved to MCI's config file instead.

Due to this being the initial release in this format, they're still turned on with an overide tag in data.lua, but those will be removed later once I know it is stable.

When an ore is "disabled", what does this mean?
Well, in previous versions of the mod, if the ore was disabled in the config file the ore item, resource, noise layer and autoplace controls were not defined at all in the game. In the new system, the ore item and ore resource will still be defined. This means you will see it in the Items section of the logistics GUI (examples being, Selecting a resource to request, or filtering at a smart inserter) even if you can't actually get the item, and the resource entity will be able to be placed in the map editor. However, there will be no autoplace control, or noise layer, so the option to generate it will not exist on the map setup screen, and it will not apear in a random generated map.
Enabling the ore will add in the autoplace controls so that it can be freely generated by the random map generator.
Due to these autoplace controls being defined in the data-updates phase, this gives other mods (Ideally with bob's ores as an (optional) dependancy, to make sure the load order is correct) the opertunity to turn them on in their data phase. All the resources that are currently enabled by default will be turned on by bobplates (MCI) mod.

2. Since ALL of the ores are now created with functions, based on pre-defined settings, this gives other mods the opertunity to use my ores mod as a template to generate their own ore resources.

As it stands now, with as little information as a resource name, and Icon(And an enable flag, this was unavoidable due to point 1), a viable ore can be generated via my functions, apear on maps and mined in the game to give you whatever ore item you like. You will still need to define the 3 Locale text entries though, one each for the item, resource and autoplace-control.

The default settings arn't exactly the most useful though, since the ore will apear as a white version of iron, with no map colour, give no items, and have a generation pattern similar to stone. With extra settings, ranging from a few simple tags to define colours, to the most complex being defining the entire autoplace = section manually(Which I personally did in all instances of my ores), you can create something far more unique. Gems being an example of a unique ore, using a costom non-tinted particle and ore sprite set, and giving a list of items.

Also, you can currently only create ore-style resources. I may add more functions, or extend the existing ones to be able to create somethng a little more custom, like oil.

Well, that's it for now, give feedback, play with it a bit, let me know what you think.

Since I define a large number of resources myself already, If requested, I MAY split this into 2 mods (One being the one with all the functions, the other being the one that defines my ores, even if they are still turned off by default) so that people interested in generating their own ore resource fields can use the newly created functions without having to have all the items and resources I've pre-defined in their game.
I also have a Patreon.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Thanks for the update,
I was wondering how your table generation would interact with RSO?
Will RSO override what you've done or do they work together?

Thanks.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

TheSAguy wrote:Thanks for the update,

Thanks.
That's a good point, I didn't think about RSO.
The tables themselves should be seperate, they are defined in my mods as bobsmods.ores[ore-name].
However, the fact that the autoplace = tag is set in the data-updates.lua file could mean that they are turned back on after RSO turns them off to use it's own generation... IF that is how it works. as I said, I have never looked at RSO personally.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

bobingabout wrote:

Thanks.
The tables themselves should be seperate, they are defined in my mods as bobsmods.ores[ore-name].
However, the fact that the autoplace = tag is set in the data-updates.lua file could mean that they are turned back on after RSO turns them off to use it's own generation... IF that is how it works. as I said, I have never looked at RSO personally.
RSO disabling is done by a trick with autoplace. I'm not sure how it will react to being added to but can be replaced if other mods would add autoplace in data-updates.lua. It might also mean that your initial release of bobplates that enables the ores in this way will automatically break RSO - it remains to be seen.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

orzelek wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

Thanks.
RSO disabling is done by a trick with autoplace. I'm not sure how it will react to being added to but can be replaced if other mods would add autoplace in data-updates.lua. It might also mean that your initial release of bobplates that enables the ores in this way will automatically break RSO - it remains to be seen.
I looked at the code. You "Trick" it into causing the resources to not spawn by adding a new peak of influence=-1000. Since I add autoplace in the updates phase, I replace the entire contents of the autoplace table of the resource entity, meaning it all comes down to which mod loads first. I think you might need to add bobores to the dependancies list to make it work with my updates.
I also don't understand what the multi_resource means in the config files, but it seems to be important.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

bobingabout wrote:
orzelek wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

Thanks.
I looked at the code. You "Trick" it into causing the resources to not spawn by adding a new peak of influence=-1000. Since I add autoplace in the updates phase, I replace the entire contents of the autoplace table of the resource entity, meaning it all comes down to which mod loads first. I think you might need to add bobores to the dependancies list to make it work with my updates.
I also don't understand what the multi_resource means in the config files, but it seems to be important.
Currently it works because of alphabetic loading order - I'll add bobores as optional dependency. I'm also considering moving to final-data-fixes.lua with disabling code and making it simply remove autoplace instead of this tricky method trick.
Multi resource spawns might get tricky - but this will affect whole config for your mods. It currently assumes most of ores are present and enabled. If they will be disabled it might still spawn them since items and entities will exist.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

With bobs ores and plates no gems get generated and sulphur does even though disabled in config file.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

irbork wrote:With bobs ores and plates no gems get generated and sulphur does even though disabled in config file.
You mean with or without RSO since I'm not sure if you are relating to above context?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

orzelek wrote:Currently it works because of alphabetic loading order - I'll add bobores as optional dependency. I'm also considering moving to final-data-fixes.lua with disabling code and making it simply remove autoplace instead of this tricky method trick.
Multi resource spawns might get tricky - but this will affect whole config for your mods. It currently assumes most of ores are present and enabled. If they will be disabled it might still spawn them since items and entities will exist.
If you move it to data-final-fixes.lua then it should work without the dependancy.
and yes, if you set "autoplace = nil" that will also work in disabling the default map spawning.

If you use my full mod set... or even just ores and plates, All the resources that spawn now will still spawn. The new enable/disable thing with it is aimed at other mods that may want to use my ores mod, that don't want the full set. Yes there is at least one that wants this, but I'm not naming any names.
irbork wrote:With bobs ores and plates no gems get generated and sulphur does even though disabled in config file.
orzelek wrote:You mean with or without RSO since I'm not sure if you are relating to above context?
Yes, that would be the question. with or without RSO?
I have generated a map several times with the stock settings. I see no sulphur, and if I move just outside of my base I see gems.
I also have a Patreon.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

With RSO. Thought it was not related since other ores looked ok.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

irbork wrote:With RSO. Thought it was not related since other ores looked ok.
I did a quick test with full set of bob's mods and I can see both gems and sulfur spawning.
RSO will need to be fixed to align to new way of enabling of ores if possible. According to wiki I can access autoplace info from control.lua so should be able to base ore detection or presence of autoplace instead of presence of ore item. I'll try to fix this soon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

orzelek wrote:
irbork wrote:With RSO. Thought it was not related since other ores looked ok.
I did a quick test with full set of bob's mods and I can see both gems and sulfur spawning.
RSO will need to be fixed to align to new way of enabling of ores if possible. According to wiki I can access autoplace info from control.lua so should be able to base ore detection or presence of autoplace instead of presence of ore item. I'll try to fix this soon.
I haven't much experience with control.lua. is it possible to access custom variables such as bobmods.ores.lead.enabled to see if it is true or false? (Probably going through the whole if bobsmods then if bobsmods.ores then if bobsmods.ores.lead then if bobsmods.ores.lead.enabled == true then thing)
if it doesn't work, would defining the variable as a global help? (Currently, I just define the variable as bobsmods = {}, I don't set it as local or global)
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”