[0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Electronics

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Should this mod add the new Bob style electronics as stand alone?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Move the electronics out of Bob's MCI into Bob's Electronics mod (Renamed from Electronics Overide) (The mod Adds my electronics, and sets the overides)
73%
Leave it as is (Can only be used with Bob's MCI)
27%

Total votes: 11

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.3] Bob's Electronics

Post by bobingabout »

In any case, you are right about that loop there, you need an assembly machine 2 to automate the basic electronic circuit board, but you need basic electronic circuit board to make the machine. So you need to make the boards for the first machine by hand. In contrast though, A LOT of things in that mod require a machine to make them.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

I've ran into the recipe issue for Basic Circuit Boards needing Synthetic wood only. I remember seeing a post a while ago with your suggestion Bob, but I can't seem to find it now.

Any tips on getting it to work with normal wood without having to craft the normal Wooden Boards first?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:I've ran into the recipe issue for Basic Circuit Boards needing Synthetic wood only. I remember seeing a post a while ago with your suggestion Bob, but I can't seem to find it now.

Any tips on getting it to work with normal wood without having to craft the normal Wooden Boards first?
No, that was the sugestion. Either craft the normal wood first, or carry Synthetic wood around with you.
I also have a Patreon.

CortEnis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.5] Bob's Electronics

Post by CortEnis »

I have run into a progression issues with this mod.
To produce basic electronic board you need a basic electronic component.
To produce those you need carbon and to make carbon you need a chemical plant. That chemical plants takes a basic electronic board and you can't make those without a chemical plant.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

CortEnis wrote:I have run into a progression issues with this mod.
To produce basic electronic board you need a basic electronic component.
To produce those you need carbon and to make carbon you need a chemical plant. That chemical plants takes a basic electronic board and you can't make those without a chemical plant.
Do you have any other mods around that could affect the recipes?
First version of chem plant should need only 5 stone bricks and 2 iron pipes - it looks like red stone furnace.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

If you have bobplates (Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod), then you need carbon that you can make in a chemical boiler.
If you do not have bobplates, then there should be no carbon, and you need raw coal.

If neither of these cases are true, update the mod, this is an old chicken/egg scenario that I fixed a long time ago.
It is possible however that Carbon may be added by another mod, which could re-introduce this chicken/egg scenario.
I also have a Patreon.

Kabbage318
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Electronics

Post by Kabbage318 »

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but how do you get resin? The only recipe I can find for it requires heavy oil. Which, in turn, requires an oil refinery, which requires BEBs, which require solder, which require resin. So if there's a recipe I can't see or another way of getting heavy oil I'd very much like to hear it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Kabbage318 wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but how do you get resin? The only recipe I can find for it requires heavy oil. Which, in turn, requires an oil refinery, which requires BEBs, which require solder, which require resin. So if there's a recipe I can't see or another way of getting heavy oil I'd very much like to hear it.
There is. you can make it from wood, I'm not certain if I change it or not, but you may be able to craft it by hand, if not, assembling machine MK1 will do.
I also have a Patreon.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

bobingabout wrote:
Kabbage318 wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but how do you get resin? The only recipe I can find for it requires heavy oil. Which, in turn, requires an oil refinery, which requires BEBs, which require solder, which require resin. So if there's a recipe I can't see or another way of getting heavy oil I'd very much like to hear it.
There is. you can make it from wood, I'm not certain if I change it or not, but you may be able to craft it by hand, if not, assembling machine MK1 will do.
Hi Bob wanted to ask
And it is impossible to make two kinds of your Moding? 1 with your electronics completely, and the second with the original + your electronics together 1 original and your recipes

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The problem when they existed side by side is... why is there two? you get the issue of why does one thing use the base game electronics, and something else use bob's electronics. Which is why if you use bob's electronics it replaces the originals.

Putting them back in side by side would be a step backwards to most people, and would be very difficult to do now that I've re-written most of my mods to look only for the base game item names.
(My electronics mod just changes the icon, name and recipe for the base game electronics so that existing recipes and other mods use my electronics)
I also have a Patreon.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

bobingabout wrote:The problem when they existed side by side is... why is there two? you get the issue of why does one thing use the base game electronics, and something else use bob's electronics. Which is why if you use bob's electronics it replaces the originals.

Putting them back in side by side would be a step backwards to most people, and would be very difficult to do now that I've re-written most of my mods to look only for the base game item names.
(My electronics mod just changes the icon, name and recipe for the base game electronics so that existing recipes and other mods use my electronics)
thanks realized
Previously, there was just staring at the moment there was something that I can develop all your produce and products through standard components and yours?

GreatAlucard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GreatAlucard »

Is there any way to actually automate electronic production early to midgame considering the inability to automatically farm wood?

I read past posts and understand the explanation as to why it works like this but it does seem to go against the core purpose of the game (If I'm looking at it from the correct angle), as wood would have to be cut down and placed manually.

For those reasons I have this part of the mod turned off for now but I would really like to have it on, although some sort of automation would have to be possible before I reach late into the green science packs period of the game.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

You can produce wood from Oil after the early stages of the game, if you are annoyed of farming a bit of wood early on you might want to rush it. Otherwise there are several mods out there that let you farm wood, like Treefarm, Biofarm(?) and my own processing mod.

GreatAlucard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GreatAlucard »

I noticed that, but still, oil processing only happens mid green science pack period of the game.

Another issue then would be the incredible hassle on automating the production of even the early circuits, which need 6 parts or something, most of which also need processing, I guess if you rush oil processing to get heavy oil to make synthetic wood you can automate it if you got a big enough space but it does seem like it is more trouble than it is worth.

I would like to see a fully operational automated science pack factory with up to blue science pack having this module of the mod on, to get an idea about what it would look like to really have a formed opinion though (not sure where I would find that).

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

I just recently wanted to start a new game just with bobs mods, but all of them.

Saw that you need a lot of wood for basically everything.

Immediately stopped.

Needing would for even Red Science Pack without giving a method to obtain wood at that stage is the worst idea I have ever seen.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There are trees in the game, I think trees give wood when you cut them :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

Yes, manually.

I want to automate things! That's the whole point of this game!

Can't do that when I have to manually chop down millions of trees. You're already busy enough in this game as is, having to harvest wood the whole time at the beginning is really the worst thing you can add.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Yinan wrote:Yan't do that when I have to manually chop down millions of trees.
Only before you've researched plastics. Plastics research allows you to make synthetic wood from heavy oil.
Yinan wrote:You're already busy enough in this game as is, having to harvest wood the whole time at the beginning is really the worst thing you can add.
Unless you use some mods that make research harder, it's not *that* bad. If you do, you can also add some mod that allows growing trees.

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

Yeah but then it should be added as a Recommendation for that.

And Plastics research takes some time and I really don't think that it's a good idea to force the player to chop down wood manually for a long time in the beginning and then have him to rush some research just so he can finally automate it when you can basically automate everything else from the beginning!

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Bob may correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of his intentions behind that was to use wood in a process you will need throughout the game with giving you an option to substitute later on, because in vanilla the only thing you do with wood after the early stages in the game is put it in a box and shot it...why have resources in the game if you don't really need them after 5 or 10 minutes into the game?

Return to “Bob's mods”