Thanks for the changes to rockets

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

BlackMoon
Inserter
Inserter

Thanks for the changes to rockets

Post by BlackMoon »

No seriously, I am going to like bobs mods a LOT more now that I actually have a reason to use all this titanium and aluminum and stuff for the low density structure. And the MK5 radar and such is going to be a joy to assemble, Finally a real reason to build high tier stuff en mass.

I was hoping the fuel would be something more complex then just solid fuel and you started work on that too.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Thanks for the changes to rockets

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, you have to make hydrazine and dinitrogen peroxide for the rocket fuel now.
Pro: A real puzzle to build the factory.
Everything is a fluid in this chain
Con: It literally uses nothing but Water and Air as inputs, Therefore there is a zero resource cost to make the fuel, only power, which results in the "Perpetual motion machine" mechanics of getting more energy out than you put in.

Anyway, glad you like it!
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

BlackMoon
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Thanks for the changes to rockets

Post by BlackMoon »

Yea, Maybe for rocket fuel you could add in some resource needed.

Ideas: Plastic and/or aluminum and/or titanium for fuel tank. Maybe you need to say assemble 10 liquid hydrazine into a single fuel tank before its usable as fuel in the rocket/burners/cars/etc.
I seem to recall the stuff is nasty to handle so you would want a very good fuel tank to store it in.

I vaguely recall something about using sulfuric acid to remove water from nitric acid solutions, since with super pure sulfuric acid (oleum) will turn water into more sulfuric acid allowing you to remove the very last few % of water out of something. Being as water does not burn very well its not something you want in a rocket fuel. Its a stretch but its an idea.

I like the tank idea better myself.

Of course, there is chemically no oil (Carbon) in hydrazine so can't use that, but that is also a rather rare fuel. more for maneuvering like what the sat would use, not what you would use for a main booster.
That said, there *IS* hydrogen in oils. Maybe crank the standard cost of producing hydrogen from electrolysis really high and provide a oil to hydrogen route? Maybe with a coal, or carbon byproduct if you wanna be fancy?

That way, you would be encouraged to get oxygen from air and hydrogen from oil, but COULD get it from water if you REALLY had a lot of electricity to burn (say a nice fat nuclear powerplant)
It also stops the whole 'free energy' thing.

A lot of hydrogen IS made from natural gas/etc because its much cheaper then making it from water.

I would also think the main rocket itself would use a hydrocarbon fuel and/or a solid rocket fuel.
Another fuel that has been used in the past, is Nitric Acid + Kerosene. It has advantage of being liquid at room temp so its usable for all stages.
Oxygen + hydrogen can be used but its super bulky so its often not. its cryogenic so it does not make sense for a sat fuel, only booster fuel.
Oxygen + kerosene has a similar issue that its cryogenic.

Return to “Bob's mods”