[0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Logistics mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

What should go where?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Add everything to the logistics mod
40%
Everything inserter related in the new inserters mod
30%
Only the new adjustment functionallity in the inserters mod
30%

Total votes: 30

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by steinio »

Yes and i like that i can copy paste the inserter settings from one to another.
Maybe use the settings in the clipboard for the next placed inserter if there are any.

So i can put one in the wild, set it up and copy the settings.
Each inserter placed after that gets the same settings.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

steinio wrote:Yes and i like that i can copy paste the inserter settings from one to another.
Maybe use the settings in the clipboard for the next placed inserter if there are any.
I can look into it, right now though I don't know if that's possible.

Though the latest version of the game (0.13.10) did add this:
Added LuaEntity::copy_settings() - copies settings from one entity to another as if the player did it.
I'll look into it.

Edit:
The format is destination.copy_settings(source), so, although in theory you can copy settings from one entity to another, the issue is, what is the source entity? There is no event to specify when the player uses this copy/paste system, so there's no way to know if one is currently active, and what the active entity is.

it is a good idea though.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

bobingabout wrote:
steinio wrote:Yes and i like that i can copy paste the inserter settings from one to another.
I can look into it, right now though I don't know if that's possible.

Though the latest version of the game (0.13.10) did add this:
Added LuaEntity::copy_settings() - copies settings from one entity to another as if the player did it.
I'll look into it.

Edit:
The format is destination.copy_settings(source), so, although in theory you can copy settings from one entity to another, the issue is, what is the source entity? There is no event to specify when the player uses this copy/paste system, so there's no way to know if one is currently active, and what the active entity is.

it is a good idea though.
It seems that you would need to make a hotkey to "copy" the settings. It wouldn't be the normal copy - special hotkey to store the entity. Then use it when creating new inserter - I think it should silently fail if settings are from different entity.

Different topic - I think that shift+N is really overloaded right now. With all research you need to go through 5 presses to make inserter near from normal one. Maybe consider some separate hotkeys like: normal/near switch, normal/long drop, normal/very long drop ?

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

It seems that you would need to make a hotkey to "copy" the settings. It wouldn't be the normal copy - special hotkey to store the entity. Then use it when creating new inserter - I think it should silently fail if settings are from different entity.
I vote for this

hotkey
Ctrl-C to copy enties settings to default for new built entites (you could even expand this to EVERYTHING I.E on_built(if name=nameinmemory) set settings)
Ctrl-shift-C to clear

Also
Shift-L - should cycle dropoff (AND pickup if pickup is same distance as dropoff)- short-long-extralong
Ctrl-Shift-L should cycle pickup - Short-Long-ExtraLong

Shift-N should cycle - Near, Far
Ctrl-Shift-N should cycle offset (left, middle, right)

Shift-R should -rotate drop arm Point
Ctrl-Shift-R should - rotate pickup arm point

This will keep you from having too many top level hotkeys and moves the lesser used ones to ctrl+shift

Near/Far and Offset should be - near inserters research
Extra Long should be - extra long research
Diagonal should be - diagonal research
Each with enable/disable config options

[edited again]

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Perhaps not those exact key combinations, but I do see your train of thinking with them.

On the note of holding a key to place an entity with modifyer on it already... I'm not sure if it's even possible either.
Perhaps a small permanant GUI with a couple of checkboxes... Long and Near, so you'd be able to select what you want to place before placing it, from a limited selection.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

bobingabout wrote:Perhaps not those exact key combinations, but I do see your train of thinking with them.

On the note of holding a key to place an entity with modifyer on it already... I'm not sure if it's even possible either.
Perhaps a small permanant GUI with a couple of checkboxes... Long and Near, so you'd be able to select what you want to place before placing it, from a limited selection.
Hotkey is an event only so can't modify like that.
Would be enough to use hotkey first, then automodify any placed entities until hotkey is pressed again without entity under cursor.
Some small dialog with name/type currently marked entity would be helpful.

kenlon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kenlon »

The adjustable inserters are neat, but is there anyway to get something like the old inserters back?

I used to play with only normal and long inserters (disabling the other variants), and I would like to be able to continue to do that and not have to mess around with the adjustable inserters at all. If there are options somewhere that will let me do that, I managed to miss them entirely when poking around inside the mod.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

kenlon wrote:The adjustable inserters are neat, but is there anyway to get something like the old inserters back?

I used to play with only normal and long inserters (disabling the other variants), and I would like to be able to continue to do that and not have to mess around with the adjustable inserters at all. If there are options somewhere that will let me do that, I managed to miss them entirely when poking around inside the mod.
Not currently, they've been completely removed.

Perhaps the placement quick modifier GUI that I talked about a couple of posts ago could be in the logistics mod as a replacement for the removed inserter types.
Basically, instead of having 8 different types of each inserter, there's a small permanent GUI on the top of the screen with a few checkboxes for you to choose the old configurations. Long handed, Near/far drop. and maybe even a separate long for pickup and place. Those 3 options (long in, long out, near side placement) would be able to replicate all the old style functionality without the extra items, with minimum clutter.
Not sure if it would be able to modify ghosts (shift left click placement) as well as directly placing the entities... but the preview in hand would only show a standard inserter.

It would be compatible with the Adjustable mod for those who want it, as it would only modify the placement defaults, and the inserters mod would modify the inserter after placement.
I also have a Patreon.

kenlon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kenlon »

bobingabout wrote: Not currently, they've been completely removed.
Fair enough. I'll have a go at looking through the old versions of the logistics mods to see if I can make a drop-in replacement for the inserters mod to give me the old behavior back. (I would rather have the multiple items in the menu than have to put up with any sort of GUI, personally.)

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

bobingabout wrote:there's a small permanent GUI on the top of the screen
If you are going the gui route Please consider making the GUI in the style of autotrash/upgrade planner/foreman. A 32x32 inserter image button that opens the gui options. Thank you!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Nexela wrote:
bobingabout wrote:there's a small permanent GUI on the top of the screen
If you are going the gui route Please consider making the GUI in the style of autotrash/upgrade planner/foreman. A 32x32 inserter image button that opens the gui options. Thank you!
Actually, I was thinking of something a bit bigger at first... maybe 100 pixels wide total, just a few checkboxes with a little text. Like this:
Inserters
[x] Long pickup
[x] Long drop
[x] Near side drop
However, I was also considering making a shortcut key to hide it, say, SHIFT + I, I for inserter. But a button to show/hide it would also work, it could replace the title.
I also have a Patreon.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Thanks! I am super OCD about my gui....... I even uninstalled shuttle train and fat controller because it doesn't fit in the theme. :)

Unifire
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unifire »

Hi,

i got a question about the logistic zone expander (LZE) is there a way to deactivate the powerloading of robots on this expander (in the config.lua file or something)
why do i ask this i have a blue print with a LZE then a big electric pole and then a robot charging station 2x2 (RCS).
Now when i have a lot of traffic the robot's intend to stack on the LZE and create a lot of charging robots and leaving the RCS almost unused.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Unifire wrote:Hi,

i got a question about the logistic zone expander (LZE) is there a way to deactivate the powerloading of robots on this expander (in the config.lua file or something)
why do i ask this i have a blue print with a LZE then a big electric pole and then a robot charging station 2x2 (RCS).
Now when i have a lot of traffic the robot's intend to stack on the LZE and create a lot of charging robots and leaving the RCS almost unused.
The LZE's charging port was removed in 0.13.4. Are you saying that robots still try and charge at them in this, and later versions? (Latest is 0.13.7)

As for the inserter config window I've been talking about... I've programmed most of it in already, and there are a few problems...
The preview in hand still shows the inserters defaults, and the configuration only affects the inserters you place by hand, if you place a ghost, it's not effected. You also can't fast replace an inserter of the same type with different configurations.
I also have a Patreon.

Unifire
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unifire »

bobingabout wrote:

The LZE's charging port was removed in 0.13.4. Are you saying that robots still try and charge at them in this, and later versions? (Latest is 0.13.7)

As for the inserter config window I've been talking about... I've programmed most of it in already, and there are a few problems...
The preview in hand still shows the inserters defaults, and the configuration only affects the inserters you place by hand, if you place a ghost, it's not effected. You also can't fast replace an inserter of the same type with different configurations.
ok i was still using 13.3

Unifire
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unifire »

Unifire wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

ok i was still using 13.3
another question about the non standard inserters in 13.7 are they still accessible in game?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Unifire wrote:another question about the non standard inserters in 13.7 are they still accessible in game?
They've been completely removed.

if you're updating from 0.13.3, you should probably do the inserter migration thing before hand, it will allow the update to keep hand positions when they're changed to the standard entities.
Then you can adjust positions with the adjustable inserters mod.

I'm working on something for the Logistics mod to make it possible to still place the old non-standard ones using the basic item.
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Hi bob, any plans for expanding your logistic mod?
Will we have electic trains with future? 5dim mod already had electric trains but now it missing, i don't now why but it was very useful

In real world electirc trains are using everywhere on railroads, i want to see progress in this logistic part of my factory 8-)
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

FYI: 5dim used a pseudo fuel for the diesel locomotives, which was inserted at passing a electric pole,
Maybe bob can copy that.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

aTeLe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by aTeLe »

I recently tested your mods I thought I provide some feedback in the most relevant thread. Here my other mods I was using: http://imgur.com/a/2knuX *

Overall I liked your changes. So many changes and redesigns can sometimes be scary, but I think it was fun. So many different chemicals and ores you have to take care of and then at one point you get to the god tier modules and everything was worth it. These feelings in management games is what I love. You put tons of work in and then you see what it brings.

So now specifically to your logistic mod, especially the inserters: I don't like any of them (but the express inserter). In the next game I will disable all of them because they are a waste of space in the crafting and researchinterface. The K&L Inserters do all of it, but better. I have seen your attempt to make an inserter-mod with an UI as well https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Bobingabout/bobinserters but I still think the K&L is superiour. The interface is simpler and doesn't use any hotkeys. Everything you need is on the Rotate button. The only problem is that there is no K&L Express Inserter, of course. But I simply see it as a trade-off for speed that costs flexibility.

That said, there is definitely some kind of fast/express smart inserter missing. In the late game everything is so damn fast that the smart inserters are the bottleneck.

Overall good job on your mods. I will test the v. 0.13, too at one point, after I see that more mods got released.

See Ya.

(*= A lot of the mods I didn't even need. The Bergius Process obviously is part of your mod too, but I needed none of them in my playthrough. Flow Control I think I only used once. I didn't use the logistic railways, since I prefered the Warehouses. I love the Warehouses.)

Return to “Bob's mods”