[0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Assembly Machines

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

What type of Assembly machine should I add next?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:02 pm

A simple burner powered assembly machine for earlygame
30%
2x2 assembly machines
25%
4x4 assembly machines
45%

Total votes: 20

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.1.7] Bob's Assembly Machines

Post by Degraine »

What would the third offer?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Bigger machines basically offer more access to inserters for moving items in/out.

If you've tried automating things using my assembly machine 6 for example, you might notice that your inserters spend 10, 20 seconds inserting the ingredients for the factory to just go Zip, done, basically sitting waiting 90% of the time for items to either go in, or come out.
If you're using a single requester chest, and single output, solder can be a good example of this. Insert tin, insert more tin, insert lead, insert some resin, zip, remove solder, remove solder, remove solder + insert tin, insert lead, zip. To keep the production flowing smoothly, you'll want 2 tin inputs, 1 lead input, 1 resin input, and 3 solder outputs. This is doable with a standard 3x3 as long as you make use of at least 3 sides, but a bigger factory means more inserter access points, so would not only make this easier, but allow similar with more complex recipes.

And thats with chests, Belts make it even harder because you can only have 1 item on the inserter at a time, so you'd need 7 tin, 4 lead and 2 resin inserters, with 12 output inserters, obviously this isn't possible, even with a 4x4, but part of that could be releaved if you use chests as a buffer between the belt and the factory.

The idea is basically to keep things flowing as fast as possible.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Fair enough!

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

With dytech extra fast inserters, this thing would be insanely fast! :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Bob's Logistics will add faster inserters too.

Also, just because I explained why 4x4 is a good idea, doesn't mean it is my favored option, you shouldn't vote for it just because I've explained it x3

Burner Assembling Machine has it's use too, mostly for early game when you have no electricity wired up. You can make iron gears, copper wire, and electric circuits automated for example, and possibly red science too, just to get you going, though the lab does require power.

As for 2x2, compact building, especially when you're trying to do the whole logistic drone fed 2 boxes, 2 inserters thing, you can save a lot of space. I have endless fields of back to back assembly machines, with 2 boxes connected up, imagine the space I could save! Though lining up pipes could make it a little difficult if you're dealing with a recipe that requires fluids, or gives fluids.

Should a 2x2 even have fluid pipes?
I also have a Patreon.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Couldn't hurt to have them have fluid pipes. I'd rather have the option to use 2x2 and switch to 3x3 (or even 4x4) if I run into trouble getting stuff there.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.1.8] Bob's Assembly Machines

Post by bobingabout »

v0.1.8 update:
* Changed some of the recipes slightly.
* MK4 requires Brass Gear wheels and Steel bearings
* MK6 requires Tungsten Carbide instead of Invar

These changes were made as a result of the discussion of a guide, trying to make use of unused materials, and actually defining what tier materials are.
Brass Gear and Tungsten carbide were underused if used at all, and Invar is a tier more suited to the MK4 than the MK6.

I havn't forgotten about the new additions, they'll be in version 0.2.0, but that's a low priority next to other things I've promiced, like the warfare mod, and other updates.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

bobingabout wrote:v0.1.8 update:
* Changed some of the recipes slightly.
* MK4 requires Brass Gear wheels and Steel bearings
* MK6 requires Tungsten Carbide instead of Invar

These changes were made as a result of the discussion of a guide, trying to make use of unused materials, and actually defining what tier materials are.
Brass Gear and Tungsten carbide were underused if used at all, and Invar is a tier more suited to the MK4 than the MK6.

I havn't forgotten about the new additions, they'll be in version 0.2.0, but that's a low priority next to other things I've promiced, like the warfare mod, and other updates.
I was hoping you'd use that tungsten carbide. :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cpy wrote:I was hoping you'd use that tungsten carbide. :)
I do have other planned uses for it, but I was also considering Copper-Tungsten alloy... After a while of debate, I settled on Tungsten Carbide.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Will some items use Copper-Tungsten in future?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The Multi-purpose furnace MK2 that I just added to plates mod needs it. Does this answer your question?
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

How you can call mod which will containes new pumpjacks, drills, furnances, chemical and mixing furnances?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The furnaces are in MCI (Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates)

I havn't made pumpjacks or mining drills yet, but when I do it will either be in Ores mod, or a new mod named Bob Mining.
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

bobingabout wrote:The furnaces are in MCI (Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates)

I havn't made pumpjacks or mining drills yet, but when I do it will either be in Ores mod, or a new mod named Bob Mining.
:D Lol - may be you can call the mod with pumpjacks, drills and furnances "bob extracting and processing"?
I mean more powerful furnances with bigger melting speed and more slots for modules, the same applies to drills and pumpjacks

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Waiting for new mod with new furnances, pumpjacks and mining drills because i saw some troubles with launching dytech mods in version 0.11.10 https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 148#p62148, may be you can do this more accurately and reliably for version 0.10.11, sometimes i think that dytech is updated rarely

Lone_Player
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lone_Player »

Hello,

I have recently updated Factorio from 11.19 to 11.21, and now i have a strange Problem with all Factories.
i cant rotate them anymore. The input for Liquids is always @ the North Side, no matter how many time´s i hit the "R" key, before i place them. (all other objekt´s rotate without a prob.)
(The already placed Factories, that have there Liquid input on a different side, still receive there liquid & work.)

So i thinked perhaps, this Problem come´s from one of the mod´s, i have updated along with Factorio.
Removed Mod after Mod, untill only BoB´s Assembly Machines 0.1.8 remained. (still with the problem)

Then i thinked, hhmm perhaps it is because, the map (save) was created a long time ago, (sometime around 9.x)
So, i started a new Map, well when i have researched, the first Factory recipe, that required a liquid, well there was the Rotation Problem again.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Lone_Player wrote:I have recently updated Factorio from 11.19 to 11.21, and now i have a strange Problem with all Factories.
i cant rotate them anymore. The input for Liquids is always @ the North Side, no matter how many time´s i hit the "R" key, before i place them. (all other objekt´s rotate without a prob.)
(The already placed Factories, that have there Liquid input on a different side, still receive there liquid & work.)
I doubt it's an issue with my mod, if there's an issue it would be a base game issue with assembly machines, since mine are basically a clone of the existing one.

In any case, I tried out your error myself, both with a MK6, and a MK3 from the base game. Both of them were able to rotate for me without a problem. Though, keep in mind you have to stand relatively close to it, you can only rotate it when within the placable/minable range.
I also have a Patreon.

Lone_Player
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lone_Player »

Hello,

I found the Reason, well at least, i was able to fix it.
Complete Deinstall of Factorio & ReInstall it again, fixed it (for all saves & all mod´s).

Sorry to have bothered you.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Lone_Player wrote:Hello,

Complete Deinstall of Factorio & ReInstall it again, fixed it (for all saves & all mod´s).

No bother at all, and sorry to hear that you had to remove your saves to make it work properly.
I also have a Patreon.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

bobingabout wrote:
Lone_Player wrote:Hello,

No bother at all, and sorry to hear that you had to remove your saves to make it work properly.
:( bug!
Attachments
2015-09-05_18-17-10.jpg
2015-09-05_18-17-10.jpg (171.53 KiB) Viewed 5779 times

Return to “Bob's mods”