[0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Modules.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.10.x] Bob's Modules.

Post by bobingabout »

Koncookie wrote:that you have a little fault in the research for the pollution producing modules, because they use the productivity processors.
Thankyou for letting me know, I never noticed myself, I'll look into it.

Edit: You're right, the first 3 levels use Productivity Processor, the other levels seem okay though.
I guess this gives me a reason to update the mod, other than "Change all stack sizes to 10 base".

I need to re-visit assembly machines mod and power mod to do this too.

Edit: There, version 0.2.1 uploaded and linked in first post. patch notes on first post too.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.10.7+] Bob's Modules.

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, After letting this sit for a while, with numerous people trying it out, it has come to my attention that due to the requirement of Intergrated electronics, and Advanced Electronics 2, the requirement for getting into modules is a bit too high.
I think base game you could start with Advanced Electronics (the item) and Advanced electronics 1 research.

Also due to the high requirement to get into it, the only real thing that slows you down from being able to produce the T8 modules stright away is the time it takes to make the research materials, and actually do the research, once your factories to start making the T1 are built, all the raw materials required (Except for the insulated cable) are already built, you just need to add one factory per module per level.

So, the question arises, Does this mod need reballancing?

One of the biggest things I can think of changing is to simplify the processor boards, so that they don't require Intergrated Electronics (though I'd need to rename them, because it isn't a very good processor by modern standards if all it has is transistors), and slowly add to the recipes as the level increases.

But even then, they could still top out too early, depending when I add the requirement for ICs, so should there be an Advanced electronics 3 research, introducing a 4th tier of Electronics? In my opinion there should, since this can be used to increase the cost of high tier things in other mods too, such as Assembly machines, and all the other factories in Metals Chemicals and Intermediates mod.

There will be a poll.

For those waiting for the upgrades to the Metals, Chemicals, and Intermediates mod, don't worry, I'll finish working on the latest version of that before working on this.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

I've been thinking about this for a bit. In terms of verisimilitude, I think you could get away with having basic integrated circuits at the low end of the electronics scale and something more modern at the high end. They probably resemble each other about as closely as discrete circuits do the early ICs. Bonus points if you find a way to incorporate chlorine trifluoride into the manufacturing process for SMT chips/co-processors/whatever it'd be called.

Personally? I would like to see some of these recipes get consolidated a bit. Four ingredient recipes are a rarity in the vanilla game, anything requiring more becomes virtually impossible to do without logistics bots, and while I appreciate their utility, I'm not a fan of using them unless absolutely necessary.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Higher end ICs... CPUs?

Rename Processing board to Logic board, add a next step of Processing board, built with CPUs.

as for the 4 ingredients thing, you'll notice I was particularly careful to make sure I didn't go past 4 for the first 4 levels of modules(not including merged modules), then went nuts for the higher tiers, up to 8.

I think the main reason why the base game doesn't go past 4 is because in the base game, the most ingredients any factory can use is 4.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

I believe the reason vanilla doesn't go past four ingredients is because you start having logistical issues getting everything close enough to an assembly machine for insertion. Four items requires two belts at minimum. Ten would be five, which no longer allows you to just run belts past, you have to start thinking about branches using splitters and underground belts and it's just messy as hell.

Anyhow, sure, CPUs would work. So processor boards become logic boards, new processor boards still take additional speed/efficiency/etc processors as additional computing capacity, logic is (mostly) maintained. I'll have to completely rework my first build but I had to do that anyway.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

All belts, impressive. At least it proves it's possible.
Unfortunately, you will need to rebuilt it when I start changing things.
I also have a Patreon.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

bobingabout wrote:Higher end ICs... CPUs?
Rename Processing board to Logic board, add a next step of Processing board, built with CPUs.
Degraine wrote:I believe the reason vanilla doesn't go past four ingredients is because you start having logistical issues getting everything close enough to an assembly machine for insertion. Four items requires two belts at minimum. Ten would be five, which no longer allows you to just run belts past, you have to start thinking about branches using splitters and underground belts and it's just messy as hell.
Anyhow, sure, CPUs would work. So processor boards become logic boards, new processor boards still take additional speed/efficiency/etc processors as additional computing capacity, logic is (mostly) maintained. I'll have to completely rework my first build but I had to do that anyway.
This isn't some idea I threw together on a whim. The following is a train of thought I've been working on for a while now.
Electronics
Just something thats been rolling around in my head in general in relation to Factorio. Your comments sounded oddly similar so I figured I'd post this here.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

Degraine wrote:I believe the reason vanilla doesn't go past four ingredients is because you start having logistical issues getting everything close enough to an assembly machine for insertion. Four items requires two belts at minimum. Ten would be five, which no longer allows you to just run belts past, you have to start thinking about branches using splitters and underground belts and it's just messy as hell.
you can do 6 belts = 12 different items if you split them of the mainline. Not taken into account more difficult designs where you use 3 sides for input = 18 items and the 4th side for output :p
Check out my mods

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cartmen180 wrote:
you can do 6 belts = 12 different items if you split them of the mainline. Not taken into account more difficult designs where you use 3 sides for input = 18 items and the 4th side for output :p
let's not forget that even on that output side, you could possibly have 2 belts leading in, and 1 leading out, totalling 22 ingredients.

Yeah, well, my "Biggest" factory can handle 12 maximum ingredients. so the 6 belts is all you NEED, but for more ideal designs, I'd say 6 maximum, in fact I use this as a general rule in most cases, with 6 maximum, that's 2 input belts on one side, 1 input belt and 1 output belt on the oposite side, allows for you to make a fairly long chain of factories side by side.

of course, I also want to keep most recipes realistic, so if something requires plastic, iron, lithium perchlorate, carbon and lithium cobalt oxide (say, a lithium ion battery), then you'd need 5 minimum. actually, that iron would be for the terminals, nickel or copper might be a better metal for that.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.10.7+][v0.2.1] Bob's Modules.

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, Today I have released V0.2.2 of the Modules mod, this is just a stepping stone on the road to V0.3.0, which includes a full difficulty rescaling, making the lower tiers easier to craft, and the higher tiers more difficult. This is also probably the last mod I'll release for 0.10 before 0.11 hits.

It also means I didn't manage to update the power mod for the 0.10.7+ format, so it will instantly break for 0.11 reguardless of any un-anticipated code changes.

as you probably all know, V0.1.0 of the mod had the combined modules made with a recipe that added 2 or 3 modules together, and that was it. the limitation here was that you had to combine the modules at the level you wanted them, because there was no way to upgrade the combined module, this left low tier combined modules redundant.

V0.2.0 abandoned the module combining method, and instead went with a new set of recipes where you created the combined effect modules from the begining in tiers using components of all the desired effects modules. the limitation here was that your old un-combined modules became redunant, as there was no way to iron out the undesired effects.

So, I present to you... V0.2.2, it has only 1 line in the change log, but I assure you it took quite a lot of work to re-write all 24 of these recipes, and add unlock conditions for them all.
* Re-added module combining recipes, this requires the desired effect, plus the module to remove the negative effect, and some solder.
This means that old modules are no longer redundant, they can be combined with modules to remove the negative effects, or upgraded through the tiers as you desire.

It does add a negative side effect though, when you click on an upgrade recipe to create a high tier combined module in your inventory (personal crafting) the game likes to use the combine formula to create the previous tier of module before upgrading to the desired tier. So, you should either automate modules, or create/upgrade them 1 step at a time. (You can queue up these steps, but should click T1, then T2 etc etc in order to create T8, rather than just clicking T8 directly) If you don't upgrade them 1 step at a time and click directly on say, Raw speed module T8, the game will try and make a speed module T7, and an effecticity module T7, combine them into a raw speed module T7, then upgrade it to Raw speed module T8.
This in itself isn't a bad thing, the module will still get made, the problem is that it is the more expensive route.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.2.3] Bob's Modules.

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, Factorio V0.11.0 broke all my mods, so I'm patching them 1 by 1. These are purely patchs, no updates.

v0.2.3
* Factorio v0.11 compatability
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.2.4] Bob's Modules.

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, that should be the modules rescaled to give them an easier start, but harder end.
let me know what you think of the changes
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Just a basic question, can you disable combined effect modules? So i won't be able to craft pure speed module, green modules and pure productivity module.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cpy wrote:Just a basic question, can you disable combined effect modules? So i won't be able to craft pure speed module, green modules and pure productivity module.
No, but if you're making a request, I can add it into the next version. There's only one minor update to the migration scripts planned so far, so the more requests means I have more of a reason to update it.

Where the hell is the apostrophe on this damn tablet onscreen keyboard? X3
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Thanks man, hard mode here we come! :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Added to my todo list.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.2.5] Bob's Modules.

Post by bobingabout »

v0.2.5
* Module merging can be turned off in the config file.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Speed module 3 have bugged recipe. It requires 2x 3x speed logic board. I will test it with disabled module combining if it's fixed. :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

the "Add this to that" line for adding speed-processor-2 to speed-module-3 existed in both the standard module definition and the merging module definition lua files, when it was only supposed to exist in the standard.
I will fix and re-upload the file.

v0.2.6:
Fixed duplicate logic processor on speed module 3 recipe when merged modules is enabled.
I also have a Patreon.

lysmy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.2.6] Bob's Modules.

Post by lysmy »

speed module 8 recipe might be bugged, it requires cpu's twice..

Return to “Bob's mods”