Machine speed cap?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Machine speed cap?

Post by British_Petroleum »

i noticed that at a certain point, adding more speed modules doesn't increase the speed of production. My theory is that a machine cant go faster than 1 recipe per tick. Is this what's happening?

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Machine speed cap?

Post by Patashu »

I believe you are correct. (So at that point it makes more sense to add production or efficiency instead.)

buggy123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by buggy123 »

Not only that, but having too much speed actually decreases productivity. At some point I need to get around to making a proper test rig for it so I can get exact results, but its a pretty significant - as much as 100% (1 input - 2 output) effective productivity on a machine that should have 240% (1 input - 3.4 output).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

It's basically a game limitation. Each progress bar can only produce 1 item per tick (max 2 items per tick, I think, 1 for normal processing, 1 for productivity bonus)

It's also pretty fun if you run it with all productivity modules for a while, then remove all but 1 and fill it with speed, the productivity bonus will remain maxed out giving 1 item per tick for a long time afterwards, and then when you remove the speed modules, it will continue to barf items out at you.

Basically, the game keeps track of over production, so when (if) the speed drops lower than "insane" again, the backlog starts to clear.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Seriously? You are talking about one machine producing over 60 items per second, or 1.5 packed blue belts. Isn't that so extreme to be pointless?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Default crafting time is actually half a second, it's surprising how many recipes produce this fast.

If you then get an assembling machine MK6 (or M4 chemical or electrolyser) the machine speed is 3.5, so that's already 7 cycles per second. It really doesn't take all that much effort when you have access to MK8 modules (+160% speed I think, you would need about +760% (860% total) to get 60 per second, 5 modules would give +800%) to push this speed beyond 60 per second.

And then with a speed like that, +100% productivity would overclock the productivity boost as well.

You can also have effect transmitters, so if you did have a beacon MK3 transmitting 5 raw speed and a green module, you just need to put 3 raw productivity modules in each machine, and you'll max out both bars.

Or use 4 god modules. (I can see why a lot of people love them, and why a lot of others hate them)

Electronic crafting machine 3 has a speed of 4, so you would only need a +650% to make it 60 per second.
I also have a Patreon.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

I think it is actually 1 craft/bar/tick. so cabels and the like can give you more than 120 items/sec

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ukezi wrote:I think it is actually 1 craft/bar/tick. so cabels and the like can give you more than 120 items/sec
I think so too, I tried to use the term Cycle, aka a Crafting cycle. per bar, 60 per second (1 per tick)
I also have a Patreon.

buggy123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by buggy123 »

Odd thought - could the productivity backlog eventually lead to a crash? A backlog like that is essentially impossible in vanilla (and thus untested/unplanned for), so it could be that a high enough backlog would create a overflow, which would at best do nothing, and at worst crash.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

buggy123 wrote:Odd thought - could the productivity backlog eventually lead to a crash? A backlog like that is essentially impossible in vanilla (and thus untested/unplanned for), so it could be that a high enough backlog would create a overflow, which would at best do nothing, and at worst crash.
I've never run into any issues so far, but presumably, when the counter reaches 4 billion, it just rolls over. Though if it is an int32 rather than a uint32, it might go negative and cause some situation where items don't come out at all.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:Default crafting time is actually half a second, it's surprising how many recipes produce this fast.

If you then get an assembling machine MK6 (or M4 chemical or electrolyser) the machine speed is 3.5, so that's already 7 cycles per second. It really doesn't take all that much effort when you have access to MK8 modules (+160% speed I think, you would need about +760% (860% total) to get 60 per second, 5 modules would give +800%) to push this speed beyond 60 per second.

And then with a speed like that, +100% productivity would overclock the productivity boost as well.

You can also have effect transmitters, so if you did have a beacon MK3 transmitting 5 raw speed and a green module, you just need to put 3 raw productivity modules in each machine, and you'll max out both bars.

Or use 4 god modules. (I can see why a lot of people love them, and why a lot of others hate them)

Electronic crafting machine 3 has a speed of 4, so you would only need a +650% to make it 60 per second.
And now consider doing that to ball bearings.You can't fit enough stack inserters to the assembler to get them out fast enough by far.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:
buggy123 wrote:Odd thought - could the productivity backlog eventually lead to a crash? A backlog like that is essentially impossible in vanilla (and thus untested/unplanned for), so it could be that a high enough backlog would create a overflow, which would at best do nothing, and at worst crash.
I've never run into any issues so far, but presumably, when the counter reaches 4 billion, it just rolls over. Though if it is an int32 rather than a uint32, it might go negative and cause some situation where items don't come out at all.
Try it. If you manage to add one backlog per cycle then it's only 414 hours to 2^31.

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

It's also possible to get way to high productivity!
I tried make iron plates with multi purpose furnace mk2 with 6 good module mk5 and one beakon with one lone raw speed mk 8.
The stats info on the machine ended up like
Productivity 300%
crafting speed 58.4 (+1360%)
recipe time 3.5

100 iron ore were converted to 886 plates! So the real productivity glitched up to 886%
If you go further and add more speed modules in the beacons the productivity decrease and is approaching 0.

If it is a limit in the engine I think at least the default setting should be massively nerfed so you don't end up with this nonsense without changing the settings.
A big problem is the huge are of beacon mk3 that make it practically to use way to many beacons per assembler.

If you have problem with the inserter speed, use low angle with tweeked offset and they go much faster.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Lubricus wrote:It's also possible to get way to high productivity!
I tried make iron plates with multi purpose furnace mk2 with 6 good module mk5 and one beakon with one lone raw speed mk 8.
The stats info on the machine ended up like
Productivity 300%
crafting speed 58.4 (+1360%)
recipe time 3.5

100 iron ore were converted to 886 plates! So the real productivity glitched up to 886%
If you go further and add more speed modules in the beacons the productivity decrease and is approaching 0.

If it is a limit in the engine I think at least the default setting should be massively nerfed so you don't end up with this nonsense without changing the settings.
A big problem is the huge are of beacon mk3 that make it practically to use way to many beacons per assembler.

If you have problem with the inserter speed, use low angle with tweeked offset and they go much faster.
Hehe, I played around with productivity 8 modules in beacons.

A rocket silo surrounded by beacons has ~20000% productivity, which is 3 rockets for 10 of each ingredient. With the speed capped at the minimum the slowest in all this is actually the animation to open the silo, launch the rocket and close.

I tried the same on assembling machines, chemical plants and so on. It's funny to see a polution of 1.476534e+06. And god, it stinks and they don't like it, A LOT. After a while you see red flooding towards you on the map. (with natural evolution at 99+% evolved now).

Return to “Bob's mods”