[Europe][Whitelist] Let's play together :)

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
ritonlajoie
Inserter
Inserter

[Europe][Whitelist] Let's play together :)

Post by ritonlajoie »

Hi all

I want to start a 24/7 factorio server.
I already had some fun creating a Vanilla one and it runs pretty well.

Now, I would like to iterate on this. I have two ideas only, so maybe you can help ? The goal is to create a 24/7 fun to play server.

1) Toxic Jungle mod : this would allow great multiplayer gameplay and I think people would really play together instead of everyone making his own little thing. viewtopic.php?f=91&t=22348&hilit=toxic+jungle

2) Having a weekly restart of the map

3) Having some MUST HAVE mods : what are those ? I'm thinking of RSO, AutoTrash, etc....

4) Join times : on public servers, something is really annoying : when players join, the game stops. And because of some bug (I guess ?) sometimes the server uploads the map to the new player at really low speeds so this takes ages.. I'm thinking of allowing players to join the game (with the linux iptables firewall) every hours, or every 30 minutes, during 5 minutes only. Would that work ? those times can be changed, it's just the idea. It feels a little bit rude, but what can we do ?

EXTRA) Making 3 servers, each with the following mod packs (from this webpage) : viewforum.php?f=95

* DyTech
* Bob
* 5DIM

I don't want people to install mods just to figure out the server isn't really fun for them. So... Using mods for now, in factorio multiplayer, is cumbersome. Any idea guys ? Can you comment on my ideas ?

Thanks for your help !

PS: I posted this to reddit also. Hi reddit !

Redstylt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Europe][Whitelist] Let's play together :)

Post by Redstylt »

i like the idea of jungle :)

the weekly restart is maybe to fast ? (maybe just restart when goal is reached ?)

for the mods i gave you in mp ;)

and the connection limits should be review ;)

(sorry for my bad english i didn't use Google ^^ )
Just a big fan of Factorio and all its mods

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Evan_ »

Hey-hey!
ritonlajoie wrote:1) Toxic Jungle mod : this would allow great multiplayer gameplay and I think people would really play together instead of everyone making his own little thing.
That's what's going on on your server? I'm interested already. Where I play it's one big place that everyone tinkers with, causing a lot of silliness, mess and spaghettification. I love it. But I have the feeling that I'd have the most fun in a place with multiple groups with different bases. Probably with Diplomacy-mod. Though it won't really happen in this version (details in diplomacy thread).

While I like the idea of the Toxic Jungle mod, it didn't take such drastic measures to keep the people together on my current favorite place: RSO, low resources and high bug-density did the trick (probably even two of these would have been enough).

ritonlajoie wrote:2) Having a weekly restart of the map
Frequent restarts are cool. Having it timed... I'd be cautious. If I knew on Monday that everything I do is trashed on Thursday, I probably went somewhere else for those days. I'd suggest restarting when the core of your playerbase feels so. Our host does that, feels to work.
ritonlajoie wrote:3) Having some MUST HAVE mods : what are those ? I'm thinking of RSO, AutoTrash, etc....
RSO is beyond debate. Never heard of a Factorio player who tried it and uninstalled it. Mods that doesn't change vanilla experience, but adds some convenient mechanics are really nice. Never heard of AutoTrash, but sounds like one. Larger Inventory is very addictive - I'd feel squashed without it by this point.

Though when adding such mods, keep in mind that a slightly unbalanced one, paired with a seemingly harmless mod might result in an unforeseen WMD that's beyond opness. Like... Autofill is lovely for cars and tanks... and a bit fishy with gun-turrets. Pair it with Long Reach and bug nests become a dirt you wipe in 4 seconds from a mile away, at almost no cost. But both mods are sooo comfortable in themselves.
ritonlajoie wrote:4) Join times : on public servers, something is really annoying : when players join, the game stops. And because of some bug (I guess ?) sometimes the server uploads the map to the new player at really low speeds so this takes ages.. I'm thinking of allowing players to join the game (with the linux iptables firewall) every hours, or every 30 minutes, during 5 minutes only. Would that work ? those times can be changed, it's just the idea. It feels a little bit rude, but what can we do ?
You meant that one specific player can only attempt to join once in these intervals? That sounds good - it would make me double-check if anyone in the family is downloading something before I attempt to connect, and if no other processes bog down my comp or connection.

Or do you mean during these intervals only one player is allowed to join and others have to wait? Besides it sounding unfair, that would lead to people to not leave the server if they plan to play later (especially in peak time). That would not be a problem if the player is literally AFK... but I feel it would lead to times where people browse the net and watch whatnot while connected to your server, generating lag.

ritonlajoie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ritonlajoie »

Red, thansk for your suggestions :) Btw Red is gonna be a mod on this server and manage the whitelist.

Evan, thanks for your opionion. Regarding the 'Join Time', it's as you said first, the idea to open the server to all the whitelisted, but just 5 minutes per hour or less (but it's just an idea, I wanna discuss it on this thread).

ritonlajoie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ritonlajoie »

Ok
Mods selectioned for the server, right now, are :

Toxic Jungle : I installed it, I spawned in the forest, this is gonna be nice to play :)
Bobs mods : all of them for more fun and more variety of things to do !
Air Filtering : this allows the building of air filtering machines.
BridgeRailway : to allow rails on water
RailTanker : a tanker train for oil transportation
RSO: better resources spawning

I guess that's it guys ? Any suggestion ?

Redstylt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Redstylt »

The subject of the server ;-)
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=23146
Just a big fan of Factorio and all its mods

Return to “Multiplayer”