Simple multiplayer setup - How to?

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
warrends
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Simple multiplayer setup - How to?

Post by warrends »

My son and I want to play together. Same house. Same Net connection. Same router. We can sit next to each other. Same game versions; purchased two, one for each of our Steam accounts.

Read the FAQ. Understood ... some of it ... Tried the simplest of things: One of us goes into MP mode and begins a new game. The other one of us then goes into MP mode and types in the IP address (without port) that is given to us via a search of 'What is my IP?' Doesn't connect.

So assuming that I'm not an Internet genius (just assuming), it should be this easy, right? P2P connection with no server, So how do I get this set up? Is it possible to do it this way (am I simply looking at the wrong info, e.g. IP address) or do we have to go another route to set this up? Would it work if we tie an Ethernet cable directly from his laptop to my desktop?

TIA for any help.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Simple multiplayer setup - How to?

Post by daniel34 »

warrends wrote:The other one of us then goes into MP mode and types in the IP address (without port) that is given to us via a search of 'What is my IP?' Doesn't connect.
A search for 'What is my IP?' would give both of you the same (external) IP, you can't use that one if you're on the same network.

Instead, on the host (the computer where the game was started) open the command line (enter cmd in the start menu or in the Win+R dialog) and enter ipconfig

The IP next to "IP Address" will be the one the other person has to enter to connect to the host.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

warrends
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Simple multiplayer setup - How to?

Post by warrends »

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I knew there was one small piece that I was missing. This worked immediately. My 12 year old and I are now off and building our own factory. He's the President and CEO, and I'm the ... Sales Guy and Floor Manager. My son just gets this stuff immediately (how many of X and Y it takes to build Z and how best to set up our stuff), so I even told him I'm along for the ride; tell me what to do and where to do it. He enjoyed that ...

Thank you daniel34 !!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Multiplayer”