[YouTube] FishSandwich's Factorio playthroughs

Post about Let's plays and streams.
FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: FishSandwich's Factorio playthroughs

Post by FishSandwich »

I was just brainstorming (with myself) :D But you are right, train is pointless there. Maybe belts? Or logistic bots would be better considering the rest of my setup.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Please use belts. Even if you bring it down to around where your new furnices are and use 4-6 fast inserters into providerchests to empty a slow belt out of ore, this would be a huge discharge for the logistic system because you take them off double of the way to the oresite (to get there and back). Ore and plates are massproduction. I didn't even understand why you do it the way you do it, but if you want to stick with the logistic ore and plate transportation then take them away as much as possible with the belts. And you can even use the last part of the way for a smelting area*. Perhaps you even get used to it and use belts for the existing miners to get the (iron) ore up north around almost where your wall is now and merge it with the belt that will come from the new site.

*One full slow belt should serve around 20 electric furnices without modules. A double line of 10 should be nice, later a second set for copper from the south/west. If you don't have the place for 2 tiles output, furnice, 3 tiles input furnice and 2 tiles output, then a good solar and accumlator setup would help :mrgreen:
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

What's up guys, part 32 of my "Hard Mode" playthrough is up!

Pew! Pew! Pew! - Factorio 0.10.6 "Hard Mode" #32

Also, part 29 of my F-MOD/Dytech playthrough is up!

That's More Like It! - Factorio 0.10.6 F-MOD/Dytech #29

Thanks for watching. :lol:

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Mostly nice done. I thought you might have power armor 2 right now. What about that? Did you save enough artifacts before they are turned into science packs?

ketil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ketil »

I really like that you start building some trains :) I usually build walls along the rail right before an exit and build a lot of turrets at both sides to to extend the length biters need to run before damaging anything by giving them a more heavily defended corridor to run through. Might be worth considering if what you have done isn't enough.

Does the F-mod door work over rail? If not, does Dytech mod have some door that works over rail? Might it might help you out if it does, but I have no idea as I never played any mods.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

JoshLittle wrote:Mostly nice done. I thought you might have power armor 2 right now. What about that? Did you save enough artifacts before they are turned into science packs?
I keep forgetting to do things, lol. I'll try to get it done for next episode.
ketil wrote:Does the F-mod door work over rail? If not, does Dytech mod have some door that works over rail? Might it might help you out if it does, but I have no idea as I never played any mods.
Nope. :( I just threw like 50 laser turrets there, that'll hold them off.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Alrighty guys, part 33 of my "Hard Mode" playthrough is up!

Living on the Edge! - Factorio 0.10.8 "Hard Mode" #33

Also, part 30 of my F-MOD/Dytech playthrough is up!

Iron Ore Outpost! - Factorio 0.10.6 F-MOD/Dytech #30

Thanks for watching, thanks for enjoying. Feel free to comment below. :)

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

The copper patch at the top will not last very long by supporting the whole factory. But it could be enough to give you the time for the south-west expansion. Because of the lake the north is accessable quiet easy. Clear out some nests, expand the wall, save it with turrets, set up some miners and let a belt do its work. Then you can smelt them down where your bring your new coal now. And you have another good space for a good solar setup (just in case you forgot :D ).

For the south-west it would be a big pain to have a lot of corners and walls to protect. For protection it doesn't matter if a corner is wrapped in or out, it has the same distance but with more space. And to set up a train on both sides will leave just a little space between, but all has to be protected. You have these three little lakes at your current south-west corner. Make this the north-east corner of your expansion area. From there connect to the little lake in the south, then to the west around the copper, and then more or less straight north to the big lake. You have to clear out these three big nests, but even with an outpost they would be a pain as well and have to be wiped out. And with power armor 2 you will like it even more to clear out the nests. :mrgreen:

And btw: Why do you let coal delivered for capsules? Make capsules automated and let you deliver 100 of them.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

@JoshLittle Took some of your advice ;)

Sup guys, so part 34 of my "Hard Mode" playthrough is up!

Noobie Mistake! - Factorio 0.10.8 "Hard Mode" #34

Annnnd, part 31 of my F-MOD/Dytech playthrough is up!

Train Schedule! - Factorio 0.10.8 F-MOD/Dytech #31

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

FishSandwich wrote:@JoshLittle Took some of your advice ;)
Oh, that's a new one :D
  • If you blame the big poles for blocking, why you just don't change them? Really. I could tell you just for the of the constant teasing repetition (ok, that is the second reason :lol: ), but just because you mentioned it in the episode: Change it and you will see how freeing it is to run through solar fields. Just like you feel now with the second exoskeleton.
  • With the third (or even with the second) exosceleton you can try to learn to cycle around the dust of the poison capsules to also kill big groups of big biters. Poison has a huge strength if you use it. It is not only for worms. But it is not for wiping out spawners.
  • So why are you just taking 10 poison capsules with you? The stack is blocked anyway, so you can take more. After killing 2-3 big nests with worms my stack drains down to around 70-80. It is freeing to not have to calculate the usage of any last pieces of it. Let the assembler produce more than 10 and request 100.
  • Why do you think so much of single spawners and if they are just a few steps more away from your imaginary wall? While building the wall you need more space than an existing wall needs for protection. If you leave them to much room they will interupt you many times just like your deconstruction in the north a few episodes ago.
  • If they repeat to come to often before the defense is finished, you might need another blueprint. A corridor with walls on both sides, a power line like the endversion for the defense but for the temporary buildingtime with a bigger amount of turrets, because they have to defend two sides. And you will need some roboports. At first they are also in this corridor so your construction area is growing with the wall. After the wall is finished maybe one roport in the center can protect the whole copper area (and 1-2 more for the north expansion). After the expansion to the north is done you can rip down the existing west-defense. Perhaps you have to micromanage it a bit, because your construction robots might take a shortcut. They will fly over these little lakes and therefore can't really get attacked, but who knows.. just in case you think it is a bad idea.
  • Again: Train? Really? For a distance within a roboport? Don't know your stone situation, but stones are mostly good for walls. Perhaps you will need some more insteat of a useless train ;)
  • To hide yourself in a dead end is really a bad idea. It ever was. And they almost told you why :lol:
  • How should they go home if you destroy their homes? :lol: ;)
  • Just to give you an idea of a useful armor: It is a bit unfortuned (or intended by the programmers) that the ratio of 5 and 4 needs 1,600W and two reactors only give 1,500W. For me the two reactors, five shilds and three exosceletons are set. The third reactor and the fourth exosceleton are open to negotiation. For me the additional speed of the fourth is worth the space, also because I run a lot (cars and trains.. you know) but mostly for the additional speed for running around the biters. My shield is mostly drained by worms (oh, 10 big worms firing at the same time hurts). Biters try to catch up but are more or less just walking pylons :lol:

ketil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ketil »

I must say I favour trains in the case of hardmode series if you think it's too long for a belt. Transporting a few repair packs with logistics/constructors is one thing which I don't find too bad, but transporting copper for all your needs with them is something else.

Remember that you can set filters in train wagons so if you use smart inserter you can transport repair packs in the same wagon as the copper. Probably a good idea to load/unload them on the other side of the track compared with the copper for performance reasons though. For the short distance in the hardmode series I don't think it matters too much, but it might be more useful for the dytech/fmod series train and other outposts you make later that are farther away
Last edited by ketil on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

(Really? I think there would be needed more belts to manage the stations than to simply use a belt for the direct connection :roll: )

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Alright lol, I used belts for the Hard Mode series. I guess I'll save my trains for my mods series.

@JoshLittle I addressed most of the stuff you said, but then I forgot what your PA2 layout looked like so I didn't do that. :/

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Alrighty guys, part 35 of my "Hard Mode" playthrough is up.

Copper Ore Overflow! - Factorio 0.10.8 "Hard Mode" #35

And part 32 of my F-MOD/Dytech playthrough is up!

Double Train Schedule! - Factorio 0.10.8 F-MOD/Dytech #32

Thanks for watching.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

• At the beginning you had a slow belt with a visible lack of density.
  • A slow belt can provide six fast inserters (the way I know it: I need 6 fast inserters so empty or fill a slow belt in highest density)
  • To use the full capacity/density of the belt you don't have to upgrade the full length. Just make fast corners and fast side joining (the tile that pushes from the side and the tile that is pushed onto).
  • Splitters don't have to really be fast. You only need the splitter of the speed of the output belt. Sometimes slow splitters seam to have trouble to hold the full density of two input belts to two output belts. There I use red splitters.
  • When you use a red belt like in the center of your factory, then for corners the same density-game goes with blue corners and side-joinings.
  • Where you have space (like for the copper) it is a good idea to use a second slow belt instead of a faster one. So if you think you need more copper or coal or probably the next episode iron from the north try these steps: 1. use a slow belt. 2. remove slow parts (corners, side joinings) until the density is maxed out. 3. if you need more, use a second slow belt. It's the cheapest way to move massive amounts of stuff (any train discussion aside).
  • The express belts need lubicant. But to build some could improve the situation in the center. But perhaps you need also a few more smelters if you want to max out the density of the one side. If the production can't keep up the amount of stuff, then a faster belt is not nessacary.
  • The way you mine the copper and coal (and next time the iron) is really not the best. A miner covers one tile more in each direction, so the smalest amount of miners for a field is gained by a gap of two tiles. Then you need the smalest amount of modules to reduce pollution and the ore last the longest time without the need of rearanging the miners. To prevent an unequal filling of the belt I install right at the beginning of the mining of a field a system to fill both sides equally. Then there is later no need to watch which miners dry out first of if one side is prefered on output. One splitter to the left, one splitter to the right, a gap in the middle-line (no middle output) and after it fast side-joinings and maybe up to 5 faster tiles after it so a gap can be pushed away. But because of the size of the copper field, the slow belt will still be full. So you wouldn't have any negative by reducing the number of miners.
  • Don't worry about PA2. Try what you think is the best for your style. But you really have to try to circle around biters to hold them in a could of poison. After it you will love poison capsules.
  • "I addressed most of the stuff you said". One big theme is still about to come: Energy layouts :mrgreen:

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

@JoshLittle That's a lot of stuff to take on. :P I addressed most of it, I think.

Sup guys, part 36 of my "Hard Mode" playthrough is up!

North Expanse! - Factorio 0.10.8 "Hard Mode" #36

Also, part 33 of my F-MOD/Dytech playthrough is up!

Blue Belt Defense! - Factorio 0.10.8 F-MOD/Dytech #33

Thanks for watching. :)

ketil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ketil »

I really like that you plan to make trains in the hardmode series too :) Trains are cool

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

• I am into trains for a weekend now but I just still don't see why they should be cool. They are harder to set up as a few belts and don't seem to have much benefit for it. Speed.. ok. But I am still no fan for it. But a train is a north makes at least much more sense than the old alternative in the south west.
  • You can tell if it gets dark by looking at the solar plots
  • The huge effect of the poison trick comes with bigger biter groups because you need the same time for big groups than for small groups. By using one poison capsule for small groups you can have a slightly wider range of the cicle.
  • "Most". But you are still making a good job of avoiding a specific issue ;) :lol:

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

@JoshLittle Great constructive criticism as always. :)
ketil wrote:I really like that you plan to make trains in the hardmode series too :) Trains are cool
I'm looking forward to them. :D

ketil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ketil »

I just watched your F-MOD/Dytech #34 where you start expanding to a coal patch. This series is still entertaining to watch :)
A little suggestion

Return to “Videos”