The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post about Let's plays and streams.
Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post by Junion »

Heh, it'll be fun to see who notices is Creeper. I'm sure someone will..

I have my doubts it'll be infectum though :P.

If anything Pharaway has been told on the youtube site (and has responded) what the issue was...though hopefully someone else will fix it..or remember it got broken :P.

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

PharAway wrote:As someone who likes to watch LPs that is what I look for. When I want ideas on being efficient and "not fail" I'll look for tutorials or at a wiki. The surprise when you find something doesn't/does work is what makes live commentary.
Just think how boring the Hydra would have been if everyone were all experts who always made the most efficient decisions? I certainly wouldn't have watched it, it would have been as fun as watching paint dry. The way you all have been playing was meant to be entertaining, it was meant to be done in a haphazard and unplanned way...that's what made it great!

I'd also like to thank the Hydras for helping me fill up my forum foes list. This thread is like catnip for trolls.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

It is obvious that PharAway is more the combat guy ;)
Just some food for root
My thoughts for the problem
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

_aD wrote:I'd also like to thank the Hydras for helping me fill up my forum foes list. This thread is like catnip for trolls.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Martc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Martc »

Big spoilers here

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

Episode 78 - "Why No Power?"

http://youtu.be/257C2P9Gruw

Little bit of fixing around the factory, and trying to increase production on circuits.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

Junion wrote:Heh, it'll be fun to see who notices is Creeper. I'm sure someone will..

If anything Pharaway has been told on the youtube site (and has responded) what the issue was...though hopefully someone else will fix it..or remember it got broken :P.

Ye' of little faith :shock:

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

Wow. Infectum13 surprises! You actually fixed several broken things. In your own messy manner, but still.
Grats :)

Also - shame on -root the deconstructor :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Last two (three) episode show clearly some big issues of the game (and big issues for MP):
- There is no "navigator" thingy, which shows you the next destination of some item you need now. As player you need to know: "Where is the next assembly of A?" "Where is a chest which contains B?", "Where are all my production of C, where is the consumptions of D?", "Where is a requester of E?" etc.
- There is no "Power overlay" which shows you (in different colors) the different electric networks.
- Some things more to be said (about modules and needed power etc, notices, messages, production calculations...), but not here, I'll make some suggestions out of it. :)

Some kind of checklist for players, when they start a new episode:
- Where I'm standing? Is there an issue? Something I should fix? Do that first, cause otherwise it is forgotten.
- What is in my inventory? In my power armor?
- What's on the map? Is there something going on?
- How is my production going? Press P and watch this for some seconds. It is no wasted time to fully understand what is going on here. And you should make some fast calculations: is there enough input for the current output? Numbers are important here.
- How is my power going? Here also: Take some time to fully understand this. Where is the most demand? Where is your production?
- Run around - fully zoomed out!! - and watch if there are some issues? Is something blinking? Something interesting?
- Watch where the attacks are coming from and how strong they are
- Now you can begin to do your own things. :)

Some general advise for advanced playing - doing a good job
- After having logistc bots with some powerups, there is no way to make anything noticeable faster by moving items by hand! Never! Just put things you don't need into provider/storage chests.
- A lack of a higher tier items is most probably a lack of a lower tier item.
--- And that is most probably a lack of a lower tier item.
--- Which is a lack of resources.
--- Lack of resources can have multiple causes. Obvious: Fields empty. Not so obvious: Enough Power? Transport capacity?
--- Don't think, that you can fix something by adding more assemblies. Or put in speed modules. That will work only, if you have more than enough input stuff for them. If you don't have more than enough, it doesn't fix anything.
--- You need to make some general calculations about balancing things out: If you have 10 assemblies for item X in time Y you need X / Y items per minute. Do you produce/are you able to produce about that much? Do you shift enough items into the logistic system? :)
- Use (currently) the debug-mode to see splitted electric networks (show_energy_sources_networks)
- Know your basics: Which key combination can short up this action?
- How to use blueprints? Isn't it faster to create a new blueprint? Or ghosted building instead of crafting yourself? Use the destruction planer? The game behaves quite different in the different stages and the right usage of those tools in the last part will spare you a lot (!) of time.

:)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

The Infectum playstyle-patent pending
In all seriousness, some signs of improvement, Infectum. Good job.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

Infectum13 wrote:
Junion wrote:Heh, it'll be fun to see who notices is Creeper. I'm sure someone will..

Ye' of little faith :shock:
Huh..looks like my lack of faith was misplaced :P.

Ok watched it...as always interesting. Especially lack of knowledge leading to odd decisions :). But yay power was fixed...the fact that a certain someone (not naming names *coughtrootcouch* sorry bad cough there) removed the metal plate to network got caught was nice. Like some of the other players I hate the chest being near the start of the belt but...at this point i'm not sure which is more useful anyway (I'd have stuck those two chests at the end of a runoff somewhere).

The way you caught up production on some things was..sadly, poorly planned but you tried. As a suggestion for the reds...look for the ring that..I think it was fish..set up. That's a nice layout (and honestly should be blueprinted :P). The green ones are rougher though...and there is a lot of ways to handle that. But you're requesting something that isn't in the network either with your setup.

Finally the constant issues with copy/pasting was amusing. Especially as you constantly switched between doing it right and wrong.

"OK Rightclick to copy, now leftclick leftclick leftclick"
"Ok leftclick, now right right right.."
"I don't get it why isn't this working? lets do that again."
"Leftclick, now right right right.."
"Why didn't tht work? Guess I'll just need to do these by hand.."
....later on....
"Rightclick, left left left left"

It was just..amusing :). Especially never catching what the true issue was heh.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

It is appropriate that there are many assemblers producing Advanced Circuits. However, an advanced refinery can only produce enough petro for 6.4 assembler 2s, leaving no room for batteries and Proc Units.
Probably the best solution to the shortage, is to
find Root's stash,
put it in the car, drive it through the forest and collect a tail of biters. Then, when you give him the game, tell him not to crash or he will lose 2 hours of game production time.
Last edited by DerivePi on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MithrandirBooga
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MithrandirBooga »

Infectum13 wrote:Episode 78 - "Why No Power?"

Little bit of fixing around the factory, and trying to increase production on circuits.

You guys stop posting on Reddit? I haven't seen 2 of the last 3 episodes there, and I rarely come here!

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

ssilk wrote:What is in my inventory? In my power armor?
Stones. Stones.
What's on the map? Is there something going on?
Stones are being mined. Your pockets are bursting because of the stones in them.
How is my production going?
Stones are being mined at an acceptable rate.
How is my power going?
Miners have enough power to mine stones.

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

Ok that'd be a hilarious prank that might take a small while to catch...

Personal logistics filter, set to maximum number of stones :P.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

MithrandirBooga wrote:

You guys stop posting on Reddit? I haven't seen 2 of the last 3 episodes there, and I rarely come here!
The redditors over there have started complaining about us posting each episode. I've stopped posting over there because it attracts a bunch of random downvotes just because the post is an LP. My suggestion: subscribe to each contributor on youtube or you can follow me on twitter ( :mrgreen: ), I add each video to a playlist and it gets tweeted out through my account.
DerivePi wrote:Probably the best solution to the shortage,
is to find Root's stash, put it in the car, drive it through the forest and collect a tail of biters
. Then, when you give him the game, tell him not to crash or he will lose 2 hours of game production time.
Dude. Spoilers!

But I do like the prank :D

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

Xecutor wrote:Wow. Infectum13 surprises! You actually fixed several broken things. In your own messy manner, but still.
Grats :)

Also - shame on -root the deconstructor :)
Thanks! Lots of help from the viewers feedback has helped a lot :)

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

n9103 wrote:
The Infectum playstyle-patent pending
In all seriousness, some signs of improvement, Infectum. Good job.
AHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHA....I didn't even think of that. You're making my quote wall on Facebook!

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

Junion wrote: Huh..looks like my lack of faith was misplaced :P.

Ok watched it...as always interesting. Especially lack of knowledge leading to odd decisions :). But yay power was fixed...the fact that a certain someone (not naming names *coughtrootcouch* sorry bad cough there) removed the metal plate to network got caught was nice. Like some of the other players I hate the chest being near the start of the belt but...at this point i'm not sure which is more useful anyway (I'd have stuck those two chests at the end of a runoff somewhere).

The way you caught up production on some things was..sadly, poorly planned but you tried. As a suggestion for the reds...look for the ring that..I think it was fish..set up. That's a nice layout (and honestly should be blueprinted :P). The green ones are rougher though...and there is a lot of ways to handle that. But you're requesting something that isn't in the network either with your setup.

Finally the constant issues with copy/pasting was amusing. Especially as you constantly switched between doing it right and wrong.

"OK Rightclick to copy, now leftclick leftclick leftclick"
"Ok leftclick, now right right right.."
"I don't get it why isn't this working? lets do that again."
"Leftclick, now right right right.."
"Why didn't tht work? Guess I'll just need to do these by hand.."
....later on....
"Rightclick, left left left left"

It was just..amusing :). Especially never catching what the true issue was heh.
What is the correct way...I couldn't get the bugger to work...
What was being requested that wasn't in the network? I thought we had both.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

MithrandirBooga wrote:

I've seen the past episodes on Reddit. Try searching by the "New" tab, I have found that makes it easier to find the episodes.

Return to “Videos”