Steam Workshop Suggestion for Blueprint Books

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MalContentFL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Steam Workshop Suggestion for Blueprint Books

Post by MalContentFL »

I know this is a long way off but a suggestion none the less.
Well since I read about the blueprint books in an FFF a while ago I just thought that it would be cool to be able to download entire blueprint books off the workshop instead of just individual blueprints (which I assume will be available on the workshop). For instance, trains! Being able to get a book of all the crazy and difficult intersections and stations in one click would be great, and especially helpful to me. Its quite a simple idea, isn't it?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Steam Workshop Suggestion for Blueprint Books

Post by ssilk »

You're a little bit too late! See https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-108 :)

I really recommend to read the News and Frequently suggested before making new suggestion.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MalContentFL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MalContentFL »

ssilk wrote:You're a little bit too late! See https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-108 :)

I really recommend to read the News and Frequently suggested before making new suggestion.
That was a suggestion for Blueprint books to be available on the Steam Workshop... I knew they existed.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You're right, I'm stupid.

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

I think steam workshop support for Factorio would be amazing! Buleprints, maps, mods - there are so many possibilities especially if it could be built into the game! :D
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

I donno about steam workshop support. One of the reason I bought and played the game was to find out what the late-game techs are like, even though then are (or were, on my first playthough), 50hrs down the road. Having the option to quickly jump to a map where you can have a perfect base with all of the techs, well, kinda ruins/spoils the felling of the game.
I like to compare it to space engineers- a game that requires a long time to build anything that has complete workshop support. because of this, I find that most (60%+) just use the game to crash ships together that other people had made.
While I would not flip a table or walk away from the game if there is workshop support, but I would just give a sigh as it would discourage new players from dumping HOURS into the game. You can look at it like an RPG- If you already have access to a max-level player then you will probably not want to grind your way there from lvl 1.
This is just my thoughts that I want to get out there, for devs and players to consider :)

On the other hand, workshop support for mods would be great.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

TuckJohn wrote:I donno about steam workshop support. One of the reason I bought and played the game was to find out what the late-game techs are like, even though then are (or were, on my first playthough), 50hrs down the road. Having the option to quickly jump to a map where you can have a perfect base with all of the techs, well, kinda ruins/spoils the felling of the game.
I like to compare it to space engineers- a game that requires a long time to build anything that has complete workshop support. because of this, I find that most (60%+) just use the game to crash ships together that other people had made.
While I would not flip a table or walk away from the game if there is workshop support, but I would just give a sigh as it would discourage new players from dumping HOURS into the game. You can look at it like an RPG- If you already have access to a max-level player then you will probably not want to grind your way there from lvl 1.
This is just my thoughts that I want to get out there, for devs and players to consider :)

On the other hand, workshop support for mods would be great.
To be fair, there are posts in the forums which are map downloads. I agree that it might spoil the game for starter players but using the workshop to shape efficient creations or patterns that just look cool would be a great way to add more i interest.

A (slightly harsh) possibility would be to only grant access to the workshop once you have completed the game. I'm not sure this would be feasible though :)
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I thought a bit and I think it is not a good idea to bind a proprietary system like Factorio to another proprietary system like Steam, which is in some concurrence to the first.

My idea would be: There is no difference between a mod and a blueprint-book. And if you have a mod-server you can use this also to deliver blueprint-books.
Or new maps. Or Scenarios. Or anything else.

Steam Workshop is then a fine supplement, another way to get the same contents.

And for the newbies: Achievements are currently implemented. It would be cool, that you can download some mods/blueprint/whatever only, if you earned some achievement. I'm not sure, but I think Steam WS is not able to handle that?

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

ssilk wrote:I thought a bit and I think it is not a good idea to bind a proprietary system like Factorio to another proprietary system like Steam, which is in some concurrence to the first.

My idea would be: There is no difference between a mod and a blueprint-book. And if you have a mod-server you can use this also to deliver blueprint-books.
Or new maps. Or Scenarios. Or anything else.

Steam Workshop is then a fine supplement, another way to get the same contents.

And for the newbies: Achievements are currently implemented. It would be cool, that you can download some mods/blueprint/whatever only, if you earned some achievement. I'm not sure, but I think Steam WS is not able to handle that?
If the steam workshop is just an additional option (non steam players can access the blueprints steam players uploaded and vice versa) then it'll be fine.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

Jonathan88 wrote: A (slightly harsh) possibility would be to only grant access to the workshop once you have completed the game. I'm not sure this would be feasible though :)
I really like this idea, although I would think that you should unlock the workshop not when you complete the game, but rather when you unlock some research. Perhaps a specific research that is somewhere in the blue teir?
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

AntonTheGamer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Steam Workshop

Post by AntonTheGamer »

Joined into this thread. Please use the search tool before posting. :) -- ßilk

Hi.
I just want to say that i could be AWESOME if factorio had a steam workshop
where you could download mods and other things (maby saves) ;)

A.T.G
____AntonTheGamer____
-Be Random Stay Random-

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”