New Bioms - Pros and Cons for Biters and your Factory

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

New Bioms - Pros and Cons for Biters and your Factory

Post by Tepalus »

Hey there!

I was looking for this topic in the forum but did not find anything about it, so i decided to start it on my own.

At the moment, we do have some nice bioms with some variations on it but i thought about more bioms and changes, which could be implemented on these.
I thought, it would be nice if the biters would be a little bit different in each biom. At the moment, they grow as we kill them. So i think, they evolve in some kind? I was asking myself, why don't they also evolve for survive in different bioms? So here is a list of different abilitys in different bioms, which could be nice (includes also new bioms). Some bioms also includes some pros and cons for your factory.

Flat Grasland
Here would live the primar biters, no much changes. Your factory would run as intended.

Desert
The desert is hard to live in. Biters have to be very fast and light armored to survive here.
You profit from more sun but you have a lack of water to use. There is also more oil.

Forest
To beat the trees, biters have to evolve some very sharp claws but because there is so much cover, they don't need much strength in spitting.
Your factory would run as intended (extept the fact that there are more trees).

Volcano/Lava (new)
A very unfriendly habitat to live in. Biters are very rare but if you find some, they are the stronges of their kind. And attention! They could burn your fingers!
Here are more ores because the inside of the planet brokes out to the surface but pay attention to the lavalakes!

Icelands (new)
Like in the lavalands, here are less biters but the biters you find are very bulky to compensate the freezings and the lack of food. This biom is good if you want to walk fast but your factory will be slowed down. To compensate this, you also can build on frozen lakes.

Swamp (new)
Biters are fast here because the can swim half the way to you and can jump half the way to you. Your factory will not run out of water and you can also construct on it! The problem is, there is no oil out in the sump.

Jungle (new)
The life in the jungle is hard. Only the best fighter can survive. Imagine how you build up your factory while unseen terror attacks you from outta nowhere. The jungle is full of ores and oil but the inhabit biters are not that friendly. They've spent their whole life in the jungles and can now cover themself to nearly invisibility. It is also darker in this bioms and there will be more biters than usual...but hey, you really want this ores, don't you?

So, guys, that do you all think about my ideas? Is there any biom missing (you want or still exists)?
Last edited by Tepalus on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factorio in a Nutshell
try and error, try and error, try and success
once again it is friday, once again i'm waiting for the news
hour for hour for hour it goes, where it stops nobody knows

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: New Bioms - Pros and Cons for Biters and your Factory

Post by deepdriller »

You misspelled words in such a way that I infer you're a German.
(Sump=Swamp, Dschungel=jungle)
Might need a better incentive to build in the icelands in the first place. Maybe to naturally cool certain (new) machines which would otherwise explode?

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

Damn! I knew there's something wrong with "dschungel" :( The word "sump" i've just used because of googletranslate (i had no idea how it's called in english). But thanks for the corrections! Allways good to get corrections.

Your idea is very nice. Probably something like a energyreactor which needs the ice to cool down? On the otherside it could be more difficult to heat up the furnaces...
Factorio in a Nutshell

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

Hey, I'm a German too, I used to make that same mistake.
I was thinking of special types of highly volatile explosives that can only be produced and stored in a cold environment.
On the other hand, volcanoes could be used for geothermal energy production.
(There's no such thing as an energyreactor. It's called a power plant. Also, unlike in german, you can't put words together like that.)

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

Interesting idea!

I will work out some pictures for the bioms (also for my mod for decoration..so much to do^^)

Has anyone more ideas of bioms, factorychanges and biterbuffs/nerfs?
Factorio in a Nutshell

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Your search was not successful, cause when I searched for "bioms" I goy 2 finds:

search.php?keywords=bioms&terms=all&aut ... mit=Search

But for "biomes" i got 2 pages:
search.php?keywords=biomes&terms=all&au ... mit=Search

:lol: :D

But it's difficult to really find all. So here are some related lists:

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=13022 World Generation / Map Generator / Game Modes / Scenarios

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=16592 Game Setup, Game Configuration, Init Screen

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=139&p=82957#p82957 Enemy Variations / Enemy Variety / New Enemies / Boss

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=342 Events (Environmental Disasters and Weather)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”